Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Best way to paint chrome grille?

Views : 904

Replies : 4

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 12th, 2020, 14:33   #1
Xariez

Default Best way to paint chrome grille?

Hey,

So much like the title says, I've got a chrome grille on my V50 -04 and I'm seriously thinking about spraying it black (or applying some kind of tint to at least make it appear non-chrome).

However, chrome being chrome, I'm very unsure how to go about this. Do I use sandpaper (which grit, if so?), then just spray it with compatible paint? Do I order some kind of wrap/tint to just put over it? Taking it to a shop is pretty out of my bounds right now since I've understood it can get costly very quickly, but if that is the only way to get it half-way decent, I won't ignore those comments either.

Thanks in advance!
Xariez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12th, 2020, 15:03   #2
XCR
Master Member

As Don Logan would say "Preparation, preparation, preparation...."

Clean your grille in hot soapy water, rinse and dry well. Pry off the little fixings and remove the slash and badge.
Now its time to abrade the surface, a fine wire wool is good and will allow you to rub down (key) all the nooks and crannies...take your time with this stage or your paint will flake with changes in temperature. Brush out any dust then use a tack rag to get the surface really clean and free from any stray particles.
Take a wire coat hanger and make it into a long hanging hook, hanging the grille from the back then go find an appropriate tree, cherry is my favourite as the branches are quite low.....or a nail in a joist of your garage roof.
Either way, a still warm day is best. Consider emigration....
Lots of fine light coats of a good quality grey primer then, when fully dry, give it a gentle rub with the wire wool again.....hang it back up and hit it with the matt/satin black. Lots of light coats and allow to dry fully.
Replace slash and badge....optional depending on the level of 'gangsta' you are attempting to project....
Good luck !
XCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12th, 2020, 15:12   #3
domhart10
Volvo S40

Yes I have tried both painting / spraying and wrapping my grille.

For painting, you need to make sure you prep and clean you grill. I then sprayed about 3 layers on it. After a while these then cracked and showed chome chips.

I also tried vynl wrapping and this works well and last longer than the paint does. gave a better finish in my opinion as well. After about half a year I eventually got a chip. With vynle you can restore your grille back to original or replace with new wrap.

Previous Volvo: 2008 S40 SE Lux R Design 2.0D
domhart10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12th, 2020, 16:22   #4
Paul Wildsmith
Register Keeper

plastidip looks like the way to go, plenty of "how to" videos on youtube ...
Old Feb 12th, 2020, 23:47   #5
FlabbyPanda
Brian

I just plastidip'd my grill and was happy with how it came out. I went with plastidip over paint due to the chrome, not having to sand etc and being able to remove it if it went wrong.

I might clear coat it yet. Planning on doing the fog light covers now to match.

FlabbyPanda is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
chrome, color, paint, recolor, spray