Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General Forum for the P3-platform S80 and 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Potential V70 purchase

Views : 697

Replies : 13

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 20th, 2018, 20:51   #1
Phil000

Default Potential V70 purchase

Hi all

I am considering going to view a 2008(57) V70 2.4D SE Geartronic.

Basically just looking for for anything I should be aware of/looking out for.

One thing I'm a bit worried about - I'm assuming it will have a DPF? I do mainly short journeys, 5 mile commute etc. Is this going to cause an issue most probably?

At what miles/year should the timing belt have been changed (or should be changed)?

Is the geartronic gearbox problematic in general?

Anything else I should look out for or should know would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance
Phil000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20th, 2018, 21:35   #2
FollowingGhosts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil000 View Post
Hi all

I am considering going to view a 2008(57) V70 2.4D SE Geartronic.

Basically just looking for for anything I should be aware of/looking out for.

One thing I'm a bit worried about - I'm assuming it will have a DPF? I do mainly short journeys, 5 mile commute etc. Is this going to cause an issue most probably?

At what miles/year should the timing belt have been changed (or should be changed)?

Is the geartronic gearbox problematic in general?

Anything else I should look out for or should know would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance
I have a similar aged S80, with the 2.4 and geartronic.

Timing belt is 108k, Aux belts are 54k. Aux belts fail and eat timing belts which is less than ideal.

Geartronic fluid is lifetime according to Volvo but really benefits from being changed, not a hugely expensive job and can be done at home if you have the inclination. Make sure gears are engaging and shifting smoothly, there shouldn't be any bangs or judders as you slip it into gear.

Re: DPF, it'll need a good run from time to time to allow regens to occur. Your MPG will not be great either. Big car not really getting that much chance to get going etc. My MPG doing that is in the low 30s.
FollowingGhosts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20th, 2018, 21:42   #3
Phil000

Quote:
Originally Posted by FollowingGhosts View Post
I have a similar aged S80, with the 2.4 and geartronic.

Timing belt is 108k, Aux belts are 54k. Aux belts fail and eat timing belts which is less than ideal.

Geartronic fluid is lifetime according to Volvo but really benefits from being changed, not a hugely expensive job and can be done at home if you have the inclination. Make sure gears are engaging and shifting smoothly, there shouldn't be any bangs or judders as you slip it into gear.

Re: DPF, it'll need a good run from time to time to allow regens to occur. Your MPG will not be great either. Big car not really getting that much chance to get going etc. My MPG doing that is in the low 30s.
Thanks for the reply, appreciated.

So at around 70k I'd need to see a receipt for an aux belt at least.

Yes, I'm struggling to find a big family estate, diesel or petrol that will get me half decent MPG on short runs, without me potentially having big DPF/diesel related bills
£5-£6k

Thanks again

Last edited by Phil000; Oct 20th, 2018 at 21:45.
Old Oct 20th, 2018, 22:19   #4
Peter86
Pete

Your local volvo dealer should be able to tell you the timing belt change, I did it with mine and they were more than happy to help. Mines 108,000 or 10 years if I remember correctly so if that's 2008 MY it should have been done recently. Maybe it's due and they don't want to pay hence the sale.
Check the auto box for erratic gear changes when driving.

2011 V70 D5 [215] Rdesign - currently owned.

Peter86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20th, 2018, 23:24   #5
tommyweaves
Premier Member

Get an electric car. Or a P2 V70 with LPG. 5 mile commutes will mess up a modern diesel.
tommyweaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21st, 2018, 10:41   #6
Tatsfield
Premier Member

Phil, the OP, wants a big car for short local mileage and he's looking at a V70 at between £5-6K so there's nothing likely to be available as an electric car like that in that price range. For strictly local mileage he'd be better off with a petrol engine as a diesel will not give him much advantage in fuel consumption for that sort of use and with the age of car he's likely to get, he may well have DPF regeneration problems. Finding one with an LPG conversion already fitted will not be as easy as finding a straight petrol engine V70. Also a 2008 D5 will now need a replacement timing belt and associated running gear so it is likely that he will be looking at a highly necessary high price service immediately. I think he's looking at a great car but not the right one for his needs, if I understand him correctly.
Old Oct 21st, 2018, 10:56   #7
tommyweaves
Premier Member

Tatsfield, that's kind of the point I'm making! Little journeys with good economy suits an electric car like the Nissan Leaf, which is surprisingly large, and works as a good size family car. As that's not going to be in budget the another option to get low fuel bills is LPG, factory or retro-fit makes no odds. If it MUST be a V70 then petrol is the more suitable option, unfortunately that's near impossible to find in a P3 without going down the T6 route.

As you suggest, the car Phil is thinking of is nice, but the wrong application!

If he's set on a Volvo V70 for £5k to £6k the best option is a P2 petrol or Euro3 non-DPF D5. Or get a newer petrol Mondeo!

Last edited by tommyweaves; Oct 21st, 2018 at 11:03.
tommyweaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21st, 2018, 11:19   #8
Phil000

Thanks all!

Good points made, multiple people on forums keep advising that deisel is not the way to go for my usage, so I'll start looking at petrol more now. It definitely doesn't have to be a V70 or even a Volvo, just something big enough for a family, dog and all the stuff associated with that!
Tying to find something of that size in a petrol with decent MPG is proving difficult!

Thankyou
Old Oct 21st, 2018, 11:37   #9
volvocat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil000 View Post
Thanks all!

Good points made, multiple people on forums keep advising that deisel is not the way to go for my usage, so I'll start looking at petrol more now. It definitely doesn't have to be a V70 or even a Volvo, just something big enough for a family, dog and all the stuff associated with that!
Tying to find something of that size in a petrol with decent MPG is proving difficult!

Thankyou
Is this big enough?!

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2005-05-V...-/173540602087
volvocat is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to volvocat For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 21st, 2018, 11:49   #10
Phil000

Quote:
Originally Posted by volvocat View Post
Haha yep.

Anything to worry about with 90k+ on these petrol engines?
Know nothing about LPG, I'll have to have a read up

Cheers