Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > Parts - Sales and Wants > Generic Parts Wanted
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

XC70 Detachable Tow Bar

Views : 1078

Replies : 8

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 19th, 2017, 12:30   #1
OWF

Default XC70 Detachable Tow Bar

Hi there,

I am looking for a detachable tow bar for my XC70. I have added an image below to show the one I am looking for, as I understand that there are a few different types.

Thanks

Ollie

OWF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19th, 2017, 14:31   #2
Simon Jones
Premier Member

What sort of vintage is it? Is it just the tow hitch or the whole thing you're after? This was one for a P2 model that I recently sold:

Simon Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19th, 2017, 15:38   #3
Whyman
Premier Member

Ollie,

You photo looks very similar to the Volvo one fitted to my XC60. It needs a fairly large cutout and a cover to partly hide it. I have list one of the covers and they are about £25 to replace. The bars are made by Brink but the cover is a Volvo part.

If I had my time over again I would go for a Westfalia which has a vertical mounting and only a very small cutout. I have not seen a Witter bar but they may be able to advise.

As many others have said before use the genuine Volvo electrics.
Old Mar 19th, 2017, 17:10   #4
OWF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon Jones View Post
What sort of vintage is it? Is it just the tow hitch or the whole thing you're after? This was one for a P2 model that I recently sold:

Hi Simon,

Its 2005 so a P2 model.

I have all the electrics and mounts fitted, I am just needing the tow hitch itself like the one I pictured.

I have seen a few like the one you recently sold but its wouldn't be compatible unfortunately.

Thanks
Old Mar 19th, 2017, 17:13   #5
OWF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whyman View Post
Ollie,

You photo looks very similar to the Volvo one fitted to my XC60. It needs a fairly large cutout and a cover to partly hide it. I have list one of the covers and they are about £25 to replace. The bars are made by Brink but the cover is a Volvo part.

If I had my time over again I would go for a Westfalia which has a vertical mounting and only a very small cutout. I have not seen a Witter bar but they may be able to advise.

As many others have said before use the genuine Volvo electrics.

Hi there,

I have all the electrics and mounts fitted I am just missing the detachable tow hitch itself. The electrics are Volvo and the mounting is Brink.

It all looks pretty tucked away without the tow hitch on as I have a small cover on it so pretty happy so far.

The image I linked above is the prefect tow hitch for the car but I missed out and was to late on the buy it now on eBay.

Thanks
Old Mar 19th, 2017, 17:31   #6
Simon Jones
Premier Member

Have you tried contacting the previous owner of the car to see if they still have the detachable hitch knocking around? Have you also fully checked in the spare wheel well in case it's tucked in there?
Simon Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19th, 2017, 18:54   #7
OWF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon Jones View Post
Have you tried contacting the previous owner of the car to see if they still have the detachable hitch knocking around? Have you also fully checked in the spare wheel well in case it's tucked in there?
When I purchased it the seller mentioned that unfortunately the detachable tow hitch is present. But thanks for the ideas.

I have been searching eBay most weeks to see if any have been newly listed but have had no luck so wanted to try on here.
Old Mar 20th, 2017, 22:35   #8
AcidicDavey
Younger Member

The hitch you pictured is the same as found on my 2007 P3 XC70.
AcidicDavey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21st, 2017, 13:00   #9
OWF

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcidicDavey View Post
The hitch you pictured is the same as found on my 2007 P3 XC70.

Maybe its a newer design, but it is definitely the one I need as I have spoken to Volvo about it.

Don't suppose you are looking to sell?

Thanks

Tags
detachable, towbar, xc70