Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Air Con:~ Regas?

Views : 552

Replies : 6

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 14th, 2018, 16:10   #1
Bob Meadows
Premier Member

Default Air Con:~ Regas?

V70 1997 2.5 Petrol: ~ the air conditioning isn’t as cold as it should be so prior to having the gas redone any advice is appreciated.
Checked the clutch gap and it’s within the recommended tolerances & showing no wear however it doesn’t cut in once the setting are selected- tried knocking it as the compressor runs but the clutch remains still.
I believe that if the gas is low then it will not work- so I’m looking to have it checked for leaks and a refill etc. - any other recommendations?
Thanks Bob
Bob Meadows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14th, 2018, 16:45   #2
Clogs
Clogs

Default Air con doesn't work if gas is low

The compressor won't kick in if there isn't enough gas in the system.
My 1999 T5 needs regassing pretty much every year. I've managed two years once but normally every year. This year the reservoir blew a leak at its bottom when re-gassed, so that needed replacement after 19 years use.

A re-gas shouldn't cost more than about £80.
Clogs is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Clogs For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 14th, 2018, 17:39   #3
Rebuild

Eyeball the ac drier unit carefully. With time they will rot and cause leaks.
Rebuild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14th, 2018, 19:20   #4
diplomat2.6

I have renewed almost the whole system in mine - leaks absolutely everywhere. Fix one, another appears.

With mine the first evaporator in dash needed replacement because it was completely clogged with fluff. Being permanently damp, this corrodes the aluminium to the point it becomes porous. None of this you can tell until you have taken so much out that you might as well replace it. When recharged, it is ice cold for about a day and then depletes over the next week or so, but always actually works, so you convince yourself for quite a while that this isn't the problem.

I made the error of putting an AC stop leak into it. It completely clogged the orifice tube and then the high evaporator switch kept cutting the compressor due to low pressure, even when full of gas.

Then there are the wretched push fit connectors and use once 'o' rings, none of which are standard size.

My advice would be don't bother. I've spent thousands over the last ten years and it still doesn't work.
diplomat2.6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14th, 2018, 21:15   #5
Bob Meadows
Premier Member

The drier as most of the parts/fitting on this car looks brand new- The car is a one owner & completes with a FULL service record via Volvo- the mileage is very low at 62’000. I have got most if not all the niggles sorted now so this is one of the last- will give it some thought.
Thanks Bob
Bob Meadows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14th, 2018, 21:36   #6
byootox
Premier Member

The Accumulators are bad for rotting out on them but 50-60 quid normally fixes that.
Get yourself a set of the release clips for the pipes off Ebay there cheap and useful if your going to be messing about with the A/C
I've gassed my A/C about twice in the last 6 yrs and it's ice cold.
Stay well away from those stop leak potions as it gums up the system.
It's a great thing at this time of year.
What I will say is the wholesale price of the gas has recently rocketed recently so if anywhere is offering it for under 75-80 quid a re-gas grab the opportunity quick.