Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

945 Niggles

Views : 9506

Replies : 212

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 27th, 2017, 09:02   #211
Joe of Loath
Can I angle grind this?

Volvo belts are a minefield. Not only do you have to try work out what the car came with, but what you fit as a replacement depends what the previous owner has been running! Too long with 10mm belts and 11.9mm belts won't sit right as the pulleys are worn.
Joe of Loath is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Joe of Loath For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 2nd, 2017, 00:58   #212
bluebrickrick

Hi iFolks,

Had a fairly trouble free time and been rebuilding a shed so have not been exactly active evenings.

However I did have a minor niggle earlier in the year, misfiring, leading to a roadside diagnosis and repair - we have these concrete pads by the roadside for such occasions (but this time of year farmers heap tons of sugar beet on them )

Traced it to a loose spark lead on #2 plug, it could slide through the rubber cap which came away without metalwork ! opened the crimp up, the core (some fine fluffy fibre with a black tracer) bent back and the lead re crimped -complete success, or so I thought!

Had to take Mrs Bluebrick to the hospital for a checkup several months later and as it was the first time on Norwich's equivalent to the M25 I was able to give the old girl a clearout, back creeps an element of misfire which seemed to be more torque than revs related. After the appointment where we learned a repeat visit would be required next day (nothing desperate medically, lack of organisation by NHS) a quick look in the carpark did not reveal the previous problem had repeated, however it got worse on the way home and was clearly the same cylinder. Crimp loosened and on pulling the lead out the centre falls away in me hand, trimming 1/2" at a time it had clearly been destroyed back up the cover and only re appeared about 3 inches up so a spare lead set installed and no problem.

I note the issue as there appeared to be ample conductor left at the first repair but either then or subsequently the spark tracked back and in neither instance was there a no load misfire, if the lead hadn't slipped out of the rubber / crimp I wouldn't have noticed the damage.

Hoping the weather improves as MOT looms in a couple of weeks time and the building work has done damage to ankle shoulder & back so hoping no laying under the car in sleet required.

On the up side, knowing I had a couple of tyres which were getting poor for snow or ice, I called into our local tyre place with the spare tyre with a cut in it in hand & asked what he had or could get similar (it had Vreidsteins on when I bought it) Walk this way he says and shows me 4 near new Pirelli P6000's on the rack (yes I've seen the varying opinions elsewhere thanks) ex his wifes own Volvo, changed as she wanted some sporty wheels and tyres, mine for 20 quid apiece if I was interested, didn't take long to decide so left the spare there and dropped another rim in later. When it came to settle up, I was amazed that he was happy to throw in fitting & balancing within the price ! expressed my gratitude and left with my faith in humanity refreshed.

In case I don't get back on before (I've been having a problem with my laptop), a Merry Xmas to Volvoists everywhere

Rick
bluebrickrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2nd, 2017, 10:28   #213
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Wondered where you'd been hiding Rick!

Good news on finding that HT lead, they are often overlooked because they are pretty much trouble free until the end of their life. Some manufacturers recommend renewal of HT leads every 30k miles to reduce the risk of failure.

Even better news on those P6000s! I've also seen the negative comments but have found them to be an excellent tyre, especially round this part of the country.

Was your laptop originally Windows 7 that upgraded to Windows 10? If so has it recently done an update?
My PC was the same and after the update the MBR file was corrupted, the MBR file is needed so that certain services start with the computer, if not weird things happen.

The solution for mine was a fresh install of Windows 10 but you could try a restore to an earlier point.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote