Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Aqua blades?

Views : 10557

Replies : 64

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 23rd, 2019, 12:31   #41
nu11eaf
Premier Member

I can recommend this brand and only £3 a gallon in my local Boyes Store, if you have a branch near you snap some up, its good to minus 10°c at 50/50 mix and to minus 20°c neat.

Screenshot_20190123-112525_Chrome.jpg
XC90 Inscription D5 Power pulse, 2017 MY, Savile grey, Blond Nappa, Leather dash/door tops, Walnut inlays, Dark tinted windows, Air suspension, Bliss/Cross traffic alert, Xenium/7 seat comfort/Family/Winter packs, 4 zone climate, Heated rear seats.
nu11eaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23rd, 2019, 16:02   #42
AWM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haldex View Post
Well.. no.. It's heated nozzles- not heated washer container.. Having the winter pack doesn't mean you can use the summer washer fluid year round..
Agreed. I've got these on my XC60 T8 and it's only the blades that are heated, the reservoir and piping to the blades isn't heated and so you need to use the winter mix.

This plus the headlight washers uses quite a bit of fluid each time. One tank full lasted less than a month with mixed local/highway driving for me and that's with the larger capacity tank that you get with the headlight washers fitted.

Good system though.

AWM
AWM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23rd, 2019, 16:09   #43
Haldex
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by familymangreg View Post
But bloke69 didn't say he was using summer washer fluid, or a highly diluted mix.

However, you are correct, it may well be that the nozzles are heated, but there is a frozen blockage further back in the system if the fluid in the reservoir isn't suitable for the temperatures.

Bloke69, I try to ensure the washer fluid I pop in is a high enough concentrate for the weather ahead, and have never had a problem, washer fluid always comes out immediately.

:wq
Assuming no half-a$$ winter fluid will freeze up on -5C.. but clearly they sold bloke69 some lemon juice in winter washer fluid jug..

XC40 B4 RD AWD
Haldex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23rd, 2019, 16:53   #44
nu11eaf
Premier Member

I have seen washer fluid in supermarkets which states good to a minus figure but when you read the label small print it said in a normal 50/50 mix it will freeze at 0°c, some of these are ready mixed so not much cop in winter.
Ensure your fluid is up to the job and you have the correct dilution ratio.
XC90 Inscription D5 Power pulse, 2017 MY, Savile grey, Blond Nappa, Leather dash/door tops, Walnut inlays, Dark tinted windows, Air suspension, Bliss/Cross traffic alert, Xenium/7 seat comfort/Family/Winter packs, 4 zone climate, Heated rear seats.
nu11eaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23rd, 2019, 18:53   #45
WhatNext?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haldex View Post
Assuming no half-a$$ winter fluid will freeze up on -5C.. but clearly they sold bloke69 some lemon juice in winter washer fluid jug..
Old Jan 23rd, 2019, 19:12   #46
GTA SOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiterdesign View Post
I’ve had exactly the same problem with my rear washer, never seemed very good from new, didn’t spray much. Eventually about a month ago it packed up completely. Also noticed that I was getting a white deposit on the screen when it was working. I had never put any water in the bottle from new so topped it up just to make sure. Still didn’t work but I could hear the motor running. As my dealer is 50 miles away decided to have a look my self. Removed the inspection panel at the top of the inside boot lid, which was very easy, and you can gain access to the pipe work. Disconnected the pipe going to the non return valve and the clipped out the nozzle which again is easy. On inspecting the valve found it was completely blocked with a white deposit. So I paced a container on back shelf and put the main pipe outlet in it. Switched the washer on and the amount of white crud that came out was ridiculous. Ran about a pint of water through before it went clear. Put the valve in hot water and with the help of a pin managed to clear it. Put it all back together and the washer has never worked so well. Where the crud came from, I don’t know but it must have been there from new. Wonder if you have a similar problem. Going to mention to my dealer when it goes in for service but that is not until January. Bit concerned it doesn’t affect the front washers as the outlet holes are very small on the blades
Just had my car back from dealer for a similar problem. The service manager confirmed that the fluid system was blocked with a white residue. They cleaned it all out and it works fine now.

The service managed said he’d seen it before (clogging with white residue) and suggested using Volvo branded screen wash to prevent this happening in the future. Not sure if this is just aimed at getting me to spend more money or whether the Volvo screen wash is better quality and won’t clog the system.
Old Jan 23rd, 2019, 19:25   #47
WhatNext?

Doubt it.

From above, seems a few had the white residue from new.
Old Jan 23rd, 2019, 19:37   #48
Whiterdesign
Master Member

Mine had clogged up on its original screen wash, it had never even had any water added.
Mentioned to the chief mechanic when it was serviced in December and he said that they had had no other instances of this reported. I asked him to make sure it was mentioned on my recorded problems as I was concerned that if it happened on the front washers it would completely block them

Last edited by Whiterdesign; Jan 23rd, 2019 at 19:40.
Whiterdesign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24th, 2019, 13:04   #49
roundyuk

My MY2019 has the Aqua Blades, which have the water coming out of the blade. So far they are getting on my nerves, the drivers side still has nothing coming out of the bottom inch so i get a horrible smear.

Cold the other morning and nothing coming out - may be the mix I had though TBH, I use the genuine Volvo stuff (best I've found for no smear etc.) but only using the little bottle you can get as the measure, probably need waay stronger mix.

The rear blade FYI is £18 to replace, I bought a new one because the little clip that connects the pipe to the outlet on the motor arm has been ****ty since new, told my dealer about it the other week but as I'd fixed it by pushing it back on I assume they didn't see a fault. I can't be arsed to send it in just for that so got my brother to order one for me, 12 quid.
Old Jan 24th, 2019, 13:12   #50
GTA SOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by roundyuk View Post
MY2019 has the Aqua Blades, which have the water coming out of the blade. So far they are getting on my nerves, the drivers side still has nothing coming out of the bottom inch so i get a horrible smear.
Was the same for me - bottom right hand corner of the front screen would not clear as no water got there. Once the dealer cleaned the white residue out of the blade and water holes /jets it was fine. I wonder how long until it blocks up again.