Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 300/66 Series General

Notices

300/66 Series General Forum for the Volvo 340, 360 and 66 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

340 lights problem

Views : 1842

Replies : 2

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 5th, 2002, 14:30   #1
plumbob

hi all, ive an f reg 1.4 340. Problem is that it only seems to work on sidelights. with engine running and light switch on '2' i cant get main beam (ie dipped beam) and can only 'flash' main beam. This has happened before but im not sure how i solved it.
status today is: ive replaced relays to fuse box (large silver)and the one inside the fascia to no avail. ive got alive to relays as they click, and ive removed cover from silver one ( this seems to be alatching relay which does appear to be latching) next move will be to short out relay switches, but im at a complete loss as to whats up and find haynes diagram ultra unhelpfull any advice appreciated.
Oh also is it a latching relay and could someone explain the function of the main/dip voltage regulator mounted on the bonnet side bulkhead. I think my problem with resolving all this is that im not certain of the logic of the wiring. thanks for reading and when its sorted ill post back.
Old Jul 6th, 2002, 12:47   #2
Colin Shepherd

Have you tested for a feed to the relay main contacts? The fact that the relays click only proves that the control circuit is bringing in the main contacts if they don`t have a feed nothing else happens.
Do you have a feed out of the light switch in position 2?
Fuses OK?
The latching relay will most likely be to toggle between high and low beam. there should be a feed to this relay with the light switch in position 2 (probably marked terminal 30).
The dim-dip relay`s function is to supply a lower voltage to the dip beams ONLY when the light switch is in position 1 AND the ignition is on. I doubt that this relay is causing your problem as on the 740 which has a similar set up it can be disconnected and the normal lights still work.
Sorry not to be more specific but I don`t have a wiring diagram for the 340. Maybe someone who has will post with more factual advice.
Colin.
Old Jul 12th, 2002, 22:31   #3
Paul Clifton
Paul Clifton

Default RE: 340 lights problem

Check the earth has not fell off the dipswitch.If the switch feels a bit 'wobbly' the chances are the bottom retaining screw has fell out which also holds the earth.
Paul.

A man's knowledge can never outweigh his experience.
Paul Clifton is offline   Reply With Quote