Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Look what I bought!

Views : 15186

Replies : 141

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 14th, 2010, 11:06   #21
Mike1967
Premier Member

Wow Brian your limo really does look stunning ... seriously it does ! I know that if I had a day on that it would look simply spectacular ........... well done for buying it , and wish you many years of happy motoring with it , stunning simply stunning .
Mike1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mike1967 For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 14th, 2010, 11:47   #22
john h
VOC Member

Looks great!

Do Volvo-themed weddings, funerals, hen-nights etc, Haha!

John

john h is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to john h For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 14th, 2010, 12:00   #23
NI_Volvo_Nut
Volvologist

I'd love one of these myself, someday when I have enough room to park it lol.....

Really looks alot better than you give it credit for, but you know what would improve it besides alloys......

960 rear lamps

And I just happen to have a set here, and a boot liner

Oh, and a set of 15" Volvo wheel trims.......

Keep the thread going, be interested to see how this turns out

What's the matter with the car I'm driving?
Can't you tell that it's out of style?
Should I get a set of white wall tires?
Are you gonna cruise the miracle mile?
NI_Volvo_Nut is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to NI_Volvo_Nut For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 14th, 2010, 12:44   #24
minesa240x3
loyalty

Thanks guys I'm really enjoying it and hopefully it won't be long before I can drive daily or weekends anyway.old blue thanks for the change of wheels the ones I got from aldis look very similare but have fake chrome studs in the middle,but the spokes are almost identicle.The extra volvo in the picture 8 is the second pv brought over by the car sales place next door(www.eclecticcars.co.uk).very nice cars they are almost immaculate.one sold and this one will soon shift.

And stiggy I know from your previous cars that you would not rest until it was like a mirror.still not sure about chroming it up?some bits might work but I don't want to overdo it.it will have a mascot but I need to make it easily demountable for two reasons 1)to stop the little oiks pinching it. 2)don't want to impale anyone on it.
Ni which wheel trims have you got?As for the boot liner I think with the leak it has it really would have a jacuzzi in it instead of the swamp.
How do the rear lenses differ then?are they clear or smoked?

Glad you all like it,you may get to see it one day at the bkv maybe.

Thanks Brian.
minesa240x3 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to minesa240x3 For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 14th, 2010, 12:59   #25
NI_Volvo_Nut
Volvologist

The boot liner.....

The wheel trims

The tail lights

What's the matter with the car I'm driving?
Can't you tell that it's out of style?
Should I get a set of white wall tires?
Are you gonna cruise the miracle mile?

Last edited by NI_Volvo_Nut; Nov 14th, 2010 at 13:04.
NI_Volvo_Nut is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to NI_Volvo_Nut For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 14th, 2010, 13:28   #26
Mike1967
Premier Member

Offer still stands Brian if you want to make a day of trying out different products lol ............. But indeed yours will and should come up really nice .
Mike1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mike1967 For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 14th, 2010, 14:28   #27
minesa240x3
loyalty

Thanks stiggy if I wasn't always working or running people all over the place I would really enjoy seeing you and learning all about detailing.The company that sell the classic cars where I work have just launched thier detailing service,The guy doing it in my opinion is a chancer!I first met him when he was machine polishing a red porsche I comented that it would look nice when it was fished!He told me it was!The swirls were worse than on my cars Lol.Also when I asked for some advice on cleaning my 740 which is metallic with glaze coat,but felt like sandpaper,he told me to use"colour magic"He might as well have said T cut it as colour magic is very abrasive that will get rid of whats left of your laquer coat.

Shame really as they have all the products and charge an absolute fortune but the end results are poor.

Maybe one day mate.

Ni I have a set of trims the same off. my 240 but of coarse they are 14 inch.The lenses look cool but I will stick with what I have for now.I still haven't decided to go steel with chrome embelishers or alloys.maybe old blue can photoshop a few more types of wheel for me to drool over.for now I will keep an eye out for good tyres and whatever wheels there on as money is a little tight what with three cars on the road Lol.I have various alloys already but all the tyres are shot The last two tyres I got second hand for my 240 were on the hydras and cost me £75 for the two.I also have some 740GLE rims.It's not unusual to get five for £100 local if you look long enough.

Thanks for the offers though I noticed you had stainless wheel trims for sale?just what are they like?The inside of the steels on it are real rough,flakey paint but too rusty for my liking.It's a bit more than surface rust.

Thanks Brian.
minesa240x3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15th, 2010, 00:01   #28
Mike_Brace
Former contributor

How about some nice five spokes?

They can certainly attract a lot of attention - when we drove ours through Carhaix-Ploughers at the time of a pop festival a lot of people were checking it out!

Mike

Mike_Brace is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mike_Brace For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 15th, 2010, 19:57   #29
Jim760
Mr G

i miss mine!

the 940 looks great as a limo but the depressing blue is a bit turn off lol you can still buy the 940 mid section parts in black, tan or blue from volvo concessionaires (binz uk now) the other thing that i found with them is the 2.3 isn't too good when fully loaded, id be interested to hear from mike how his one goes and how much fuel it uses. as others have said +t it or do a quick engine swap..
940 GL 850 GL 760 TIC V70 Torslanda
Jim760 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15th, 2010, 20:30   #30
Mike_Brace
Former contributor

I have had the limo with our trailer and a MKII Transit camper behind it (about 2.5 tonne in all) and the performance was more than adequate. When I have had it fully loaded for a lad's night out there has been no issue over performance and it will happily cruise at speeds Volvos are designed to cruise at.

Fuel wise it is hard to say but on lpg ours returns about 20 mpg which is similair to a standard 740.

Certainly the only noticeable difference to drive is the fact there is extra length - turning in tight spaces with the car trailer can be interesting. It is not a short combination!

Mike

Mike_Brace is offline   Reply With Quote