Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

New 740 owner!

Views : 6760

Replies : 100

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 15th, 2012, 16:21   #11
DWM
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laney760 View Post
If you want a new headlining there's a good condition one from a 940 local to us in Oxfordshire, pm if you want the details, also Crogthomas knows somebody in our neck of the woods who will fit you a good one from a 940 (which wont sag)
PM sent. Yes the headlining is truly awful (and I've seen a few bad ones!) so I had already steeled myself to address the problem, but if you know a source of a good one that would be wonderful!
Old Apr 15th, 2012, 16:23   #12
DWM
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prufrock View Post

P.S he's a male - interesting!
It's odd - I don't know why - he just is. I looked at him and he was clearly a he. All my previous cars have been female.
Old Apr 15th, 2012, 16:32   #13
OldBlueVolvo
VOC Member

Talking

The car looks amazing! I had one that exact same year, spec and colour, and of course the other one I still have is the same colour and a similar spec. Very very nice. I only said to stay away from those engines because of the cost of replacing the carb if that was ever a problem.
OldBlueVolvo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to OldBlueVolvo For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 15th, 2012, 21:23   #14
DWM
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephend View Post
So what's the story behind you acquiring Phoenix, then?
Thanks everyone for positive comments. It has been an exciting day .

I've been increasingly wanting and wanting a 700/900 for quite a while - partly for the load space for camping hols but partly also so that you can sit comfortably on the back with the tailgate open and eat sandwiches in the rain... which is just possible but a bit rubbish and uncomfortable in a V40 (sorry Genevieve), and ultimately longed for a (pre-facelift) 745 above all for those distinctive (Marmite) looks.

My problem has always been one of justifying the purchase - after all it's strictly unnecessary and a set of extra costs that I could well do without. But I thought I had been being quite good lately (and it was my birthday!) so I thought I might be allowed a cheap one, if I checked it carefully and it looked sound. Et voilà. My boys like it too, so with any luck all is well.

Last edited by DWM; Apr 15th, 2012 at 21:57.
DWM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15th, 2012, 23:07   #15
stephend
Premier Member

I think you'll find you won't regret it!

My 740 was an impulse buy. It was sat right at the back of my local garage, behind the workshop, looking like it needed a good home. So I bought it, and I've grown really fond of it. Moreover, it's proved invaluable. Following the illness and death of a relative in Scotland, we've been house-clearing, and The Tank has been up there and back umpteen times, often fully laden, as well as carting stuff to and from the care home, the recycling etc etc.

The same garage have been looking after it for nearly twenty years. They're quite fond of the old girl themselves, and take good care of her.
2012 Ford Mondeo 2.2 TDCi estate
1999 Land Rover Discovery 2 TD5
stephend is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to stephend For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 16th, 2012, 07:00   #16
Prufrock
I've Been Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephend View Post
I think you'll find you won't regret it!

My 740 was an impulse buy. It was sat right at the back of my local garage, behind the workshop, looking like it needed a good home. So I bought it, and I've grown really fond of it. Moreover, it's proved invaluable. Following the illness and death of a relative in Scotland, we've been house-clearing, and The Tank has been up there and back umpteen times, often fully laden, as well as carting stuff to and from the care home, the recycling etc etc.

The same garage have been looking after it for nearly twenty years. They're quite fond of the old girl themselves, and take good care of her.
Great to hear enthusiasm for the 700 and to welcome a new owner on the forum.

My garage has developed a soft spot for my 1986 745, they refer to it as rather special.

I hope for a good turnout at the BKV.

Prufrock.
Prufrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17th, 2012, 18:34   #17
lovejoy633
Premier Member

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWM View Post
PM sent. Yes the headlining is truly awful (and I've seen a few bad ones!) so I had already steeled myself to address the problem, but if you know a source of a good one that would be wonderful!
Well....firstly.....may I say....what a fine purchase !! The car looks in fantastic condition.

Now.....regarding "headlining" ......I may be of some help...

I to had a 7 series shooting break with a some what saggy headlinning and was given two bits of invalueable advice from ones chums !!!!

1. Buy a Top Hat - thus keeping said headlinning from obscuring ones view.

2. Use an every day common all garden stapler to pin the headlining back up whilst also giving that "button back chesterfield" feel to the roof.

Now whilst these two options are equally ingenius, it should be noted that option 1 of the top hat may incurr odd looks from the uneducated amongst us who may just think you are a bit of a prat !!!!

Option 2 of the stapler is, as yet, without flaw !!!!!

Best rgds

Lovejoy

1996 Volvo 960 3.0 24v
1978 1500 Triumph Spitfire
1984 Land rover 90,1990 Land rover turbo diesel
lovejoy633 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lovejoy633 For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 17th, 2012, 20:14   #18
DWM
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovejoy633 View Post
Option 2 of the stapler is, as yet, without flaw !!!!!
Thank you very much. He seems to be behaving himself and we had a nice wafty drive today on some back roads, with other traffic leaping respectfully (and/or fearfully) out of the way as we approached. I was rather enjoying being the oldest thing on the roads till we came across a Hillman Imp.

The headlining tips seem good, but they ignore the fact that previous owners obviously poked at it and ripped it and then figured that black duct tape might help... (which it does, in that it at least stops the foam dust from raining down) so it is just unbelievably unsightly - it sags less than some I have seen but it looks so appalling that it would be insulting to Phoenix to post a picture of it.

I was considering the options with the boys today and somehow the idea came up that I should strip down the original board and fix something unusual - like some sort of deep black fur material, or a bright orange suede.... I'm not sure now...

Last edited by DWM; Apr 17th, 2012 at 22:47. Reason: typo innit
DWM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17th, 2012, 20:21   #19
lovejoy633
Premier Member

Talking

Quote:
I was considering the options with the boys today and somehow the idea came up that I should strip down the original board and fix something unusual - like some sort of deep black fur material, or a bright orange suede.... I'm not sure now...
Are you by any chance related to Peter Stringfellow ??????

1996 Volvo 960 3.0 24v
1978 1500 Triumph Spitfire
1984 Land rover 90,1990 Land rover turbo diesel
lovejoy633 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to lovejoy633 For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 17th, 2012, 21:22   #20
stephend
Premier Member

Quote:
Thank you very much. He seems to be behaving himself and we had a nice wafty drive today on some back roads, with other traffic leaping repectfully (and/or fearfully) out of the way as we approached. I was rather enjoying being the oldest thing on the roads till we came across a Hillman Imp.
Ah, you've noticed the way things seem to get out of the way of a big Volvo bearing down on them: pedestrians... trucks... trees...

Have you also noticed the way gravity is locally distorted by the sheer mass?
2012 Ford Mondeo 2.2 TDCi estate
1999 Land Rover Discovery 2 TD5
stephend is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to stephend For This Useful Post: