Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General

Notices

200 Series General Forum for the Volvo 240 and 260 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Urgent warning: 240 thefts in south-east

Views : 185808

Replies : 74

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 13th, 2013, 18:39   #31
honestjoe
MY 240 DRIVES ME!

This worries me all the time..on occasion when i get the jitters i do disconnect the coil lead to the dizzy and caught myself out the next morning..as said before they will just grab it and bag it..I agree nobody except the owner pays much notice to alarms these days but a pressurised airhorn on a ringpull if the car is moved any distance from its bay would wake up the bloody dead!!...Keep your ideas ideas coming folks ..hj.
honestjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to honestjoe For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 15th, 2013, 17:26   #32
Stephen Edwin
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volvodrivingbiker View Post
just wanted to say crook lock on with steering at full lock would make life slightly harder to put car on a trailer would'nt it

Very slightly harder. I hope a 240 pedal is a little tougher than a Morris 1100. But a Krooklock on an 1100 in Newcastle was useless when thieves bent the pedal. I got that car back from Durham cop shop. And I found out how easy it was to straighten the pedal.

Re police priorities. they were investigating a burglary that the jam jar was taken and used in, so I got the jam jar found and given back to me. I still wonder why thieves capable of getting a safe out of premises, didn't choose a tougher vehicle than an 1100 to transport it?
Stephen Edwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17th, 2013, 17:07   #33
guitarman

One wonders if an old Bentley owned by Lord Ponsonby would be treated with the same disregard by the Police?
Fact is most police spend their time form filling and social working. As has been pointed out a million times; if they were a presence, actually walking about, this kind of opportunist crime would be considerably reduced. In country areas you rarely see them at all unless racing about in cars or playing helicopters.
If like me you're keen on dogs, then there's always the angry Alsatian option.
2012 VW Transporter T5 LWB
guitarman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to guitarman For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 8th, 2014, 02:29   #34
AndrewBrown

Sometimes I wonder about all the stuff the people in the USA say against the gun lobby and think they have the idea....the big horn on a ring pull....then you can go out shooting they wont do it again and the police thank you for getting the criminals.

God bless America........I wonder how many of IPD's customers have their 240 stolen?

Last edited by AndrewBrown; Apr 8th, 2014 at 02:31.
AndrewBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23rd, 2014, 19:41   #35
rtbcomp

My 240 was parked on a neighbour's drive and someone rolled up asking to buy it, they offerred £200. I told them I didn't want to sell, telling about the work I'd done on it. He wasn't interested, obviously he wanted it for banger racing.

A week or so later someone else turned up at my house, this time the car was on my drive hidden from view behind a tall gate so he couldn't have seen it whilst passing; it sounds like word has got round about its existence.
rtbcomp is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rtbcomp For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 3rd, 2014, 10:50   #36
scooters

We had a date of plant thefts in West Lothian last year. The gang had an hgv with a box on the back without a roof and a hiab.. Pull alongside a compressor, classic car etc, 5minutes later it's in the box and out of site. The gang were lifting kit off sites and farms from Scotland to the North of England, the items would be in a container at Hull and on a ship before daybreak. The compressor thefts last year were spurred by a couple of East Africans who spread the word across the market that they would pay 5k cash for any machine over 300cfm.

Car wise, again if they want it they usually get it. However I have found that Disclocks are superb and will deter all but those equipped with a flat bed. However they are also heavy and not easy to store in the passenger compartment. I'm also a bit wary about having a huge lump of metal flying around in the event of an accident. In a saloon I'd stick it in the boot.

I have in the past, and probably will do with this car, installed a switch running to the coil. You can even put the switch in full view in one of the empty slots on the dash or hide it if you prefer. Fancy options include a proximity token solenoid which can be very effective or a keypad a la citroenXM/Xantia. With a carb model immobiliser is not practical so a cut out switch is the best bet. Yes they will eventually track it down but it will take a long time. When all else fails and I'm somewhere I font like but have no devices removing the rotor arm is always a stop gap!
scooters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3rd, 2014, 11:25   #37
rtbcomp

A variation on the cut-out switch is a changeover switch to divert the power from the starter solenoid or coil to a very loud sounder or the horn. The sounder can be placed inside the car, but don't forget about it!
The Following User Says Thank You to rtbcomp For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 27th, 2014, 15:45   #38
Steve and his 244
VOC Member

Another theft deterrent, with regards to the tailgate lock trick, is this:

Notice the lack of tailgate lock.
2003 titanium grey V70R auto
Quote:
Originally Posted by john h
That Steve is a very bad influence.
Steve and his 244 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27th, 2014, 16:15   #39
rtbcomp

If you are relying on the electrical lock, what do you do if (when) the tailgate wiring fails at the hinges?
Old Nov 27th, 2014, 16:23   #40
Antz
No I'm not the redhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtbcomp View Post
If you are relying on the electrical lock, what do you do if (when) the tailgate wiring fails at the hinges?
Don't run it through the hinges because its a stupid design and fitting a new kit never fixes the problem entirely, just delays it for a few more years.

My tailgate wiring runs on the inside of the car and doesn't go through the hinge. Not as pretty to look at but ill never have the problem again.

Swap a T5 motor into your RWD Volvo:The Guide
Antz is offline   Reply With Quote