Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Performance Volvo Cars > T5/R Registers

Notices

T5/R Registers Forum for the T5, T5R and R model registers.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Tweaked S70 T5 oil pressure..

Views : 1544

Replies : 4

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 20th, 2014, 23:10   #1
Boomy

Default Tweaked S70 T5 oil pressure..

Anyone else with an oil pressure gauge installed on their cars? Am wondering which oils you use and the types of PSi you see when first started with the oil cold, once warm and on idle and when giving them a damn good thrashing.

My S70 T5 is now on 172k miles (ex police) but still runs and pulls like a dream, but the gauge now sits around 5 to 10 on warm idle (norm op temps), 30 to 40 on the move (possibly 50 when spanked), and 70 to 80 when stone cold and first started up.

I assume this could be oil pump related, sensor related, or the dreaded oil pump pick up seals....or, it could be normal? I did change the oil and filter a while back and went fully synth 10-40 magnatec.

There are no other issues engine wise.It runs over 300 bhp apparently if it makes any difference.
Boomy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21st, 2014, 00:44   #2
Orca2
I've Been Banned

If I remember correctly the oil pressure was very high when cold on the last car I had with a pressure guage, I think this is because the oil is so thick when cold , the higher running oressure is related to higher revs when running, I think this is normal,
Orca2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21st, 2014, 05:44   #3
Boomy

Yeah, the oil is indeed thicker and will show more pressure when cold.

Problem is, I am reading links where people are saying anything under about 20 to 30 on warm tickover is a real issue and pressure when driving and pushing on should be nearer 70 odd rather than 30 - 40.

Although not specific to Volvo's, I have seen people suggest that if you see 5 to 10 on warm idle, you should NOT start your car again and should have it trailered to a mechanic or should start stripping it down yourself / start to search for the fault.The engine going BANG is likely, otherwise.

I just didn't want to do either if these levels seem ok.
Old Apr 21st, 2014, 20:18   #4
JamesV70R
Forum Support Team

I get 30psi at hot idle, 50psi "hot" on the motorway (RPM Dependent - more rpm=more pressure - that is based on 70mph/2400rpm), 70-85ish psi cold.

You shouldn't ever see more than 90, as I understand, there is a pressure relief / bypass built in near the Oil Filter which opens ~90psi.

I use Mobil1 0w-40 Fully Synth all year round, its all the car has been run on for ~9 years now. 173000miles on the odo, driven gently until the oil is up to temp.

HTH.

James
JamesV70R is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JamesV70R For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 22nd, 2014, 13:16   #5
Boomy

Not sounding good for mine then going by those numbers and by the oil you use