Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

New Owner here - with questions!

Views : 3415

Replies : 51

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 8th, 2018, 15:13   #21
AllHailKingVolvo
Ye olde Volvii galore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnyf90 View Post
Welcome!
You didn't by any chance buy this from someone near Wimbledon? Swear I saw this parked up near Southfields last year!

Cheers
I know that chap, Dave is his name-he has a couple of limos (a 740 and 960) and a 940 saloon in matt black. I bought my spare wheel off him a couple of weeks ago, lovely bloke but not sure I’d take the same Gothic approach with car decor...different strokes and all that!
‘88 745 GL B200E M47
AllHailKingVolvo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AllHailKingVolvo For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 8th, 2018, 18:57   #22
TomSaintJames

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
If the car came from Wimbledon, they're probably sat in Tobermorys workshop awaiting fitment to Great Uncle Bulgarias glasses to wipe the condensation away when he drinks his morning coffee!

This is precisely where they are!

In seriousness the wiper blades, and maybe the arms too (can't remember now) are in the arm rest/cubby box so I don't know if the wipers work or not.

It may have been in Wimbledon at some point, although I bought it from Penrith, just north of the Lake District!

Great info again Dave, thanks! Things to think on. How simple are front and rear springs and shocks to replace for someone who has never worked with suspension before? As the coilovers have only done around 200 miles so nothing should be siezed at least.
TomSaintJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8th, 2018, 19:50   #23
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Reading between the lines Tom, i'd say the wipers probably do work but the blades are damaged/worn/missing rubbers so were removed to prevent them scratching the headlamp glass.

The rear springs and shocks should be a simple spanner job Tom, the fronts are a bit more involved as the struts need to come off and a coil spring compressor is needed.

That said, i don't know how/where the coil-overs are fitted on yours and it's not a conversion i'm familiar with. As such i can't offer any advice on removing those bits.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9th, 2018, 21:20   #24
TomSaintJames

So I didn't end up having any time to work on the Volvo today, inbetween doing some DIY in the bathroom and changing the discs and pads on the AX which incidentally took 4 bloody hours! I resorted to cutting both pad retention pegs on the drivers side caliper, snapping them off to get the old pads out and drilling the bolt holes through the caliper... The passenger side took 10 minutes!?!

I did however take a little video of the engine just after I started it up, you can hear a the interior fan a little bit, but also the tappety/rattly noise at times, they certainly don't sound like a 'normal' petrol IMO.
The Following User Says Thank You to TomSaintJames For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 9th, 2018, 21:26   #25
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Where's the video then Tom?

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Old Aug 9th, 2018, 22:48   #26
rwdkev
VOC member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomSaintJames View Post
Quite definitely a live axle then going by those pictures.
As it's a 740 it will definitely have a live axle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
It looks too early to have the multi-link to be honest.
Yes, IRS I (coil springs/steel sub-frame) did not appear until the introduction 760 mk2 facelift in the autumn of '87 and then it was for 760 and later 960 saloons only. The 760/960 estates soldiered on with live axle until the updated IRS II (transverse leaf spring/aluminium sub-frame) was introduced on the 960 mk2 facelift in autumn '94. From then it was fitted to both 960 saloons and estates. All 740's, 940's and 760 mk1 have live axle, regardless of being saloon or estate.
rwdkev is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rwdkev For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 9th, 2018, 23:21   #27
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Indeed you're right Kev but it could have easily been a 740 saloon facelift as the donor vehicle with IRS seeing as it was in effect a "cut'n'shut" before registration so they could have retro-fitted a pre-facelift front so it matched the rest of the fleet.

To show what i mean :

Correct me if i'm wrong but that front end is early 740 and the back end is 740 saloon facelift?

While finding those images, i found some weird ones including a 244DL based hearse with Mk2 Granada tail lights :

Just to illustrate that with body conversions, things aren't always as they seem or how you might imagine they are. Logic suggests the 745 would be the donor vehicle for the hearse but it could just as easily be the 744, especially if the 744 was cheaper than the 745 in the first place.

Also don't forget that whatever registration is on it now, it could be either a "cherished plate" from the undertakers whose fleet it was part of, an age-related plate issued by the DVLA based on when it was first registered after the hearse conversion or it might be age-related to the VIN which would be a year, maybe 2 years older than the finished conversion date.
Then there's the possibility it's a "cherished plate" from a previous owner after it spent time transporting people on their final journeys or possibly the original plate it was issued with from the DVLA pre-conversion.

In other words, with something like a hearse, stretched limo or whatever else that isn't a standard manufacturers body plan, nothing can be taken for granted!

Old Aug 10th, 2018, 08:50   #28
ksmi
Master Member

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenBrick View Post
If you don't stick a sign in the back window saying "No dead bodies left in this vehicle overnight" I will come and find you, er.. and ask again nicely. ;-)
Morning Bricky, That is a lot funnier than some of the stuff on 'Joke of the Day' page, I had a good laugh,Thank You!!!

Regards,Keith.
Old Aug 10th, 2018, 17:01   #29
TomSaintJames

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksmi View Post
Morning Bricky, That is a lot funnier than some of the stuff on 'Joke of the Day' page, I had a good laugh,Thank You!!!

Regards,Keith.
This tickled me also!

I now have working rear lights, except the drivers side brake light which seems to now be intermittent rather than just not working - details to follow.
The Following User Says Thank You to TomSaintJames For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 10th, 2018, 18:20   #30
volvo always
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomSaintJames View Post
This tickled me also!

I now have working rear lights, except the drivers side brake light which seems to now be intermittent rather than just not working - details to follow.
I would have to have a coffin aboard as well, with a fake body and have the lid fall off in a busy area and dressed in black get out and say "the lid is always coming off"

James
volvo always is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to volvo always For This Useful Post: