Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

940 broken down, second time today!

Views : 4817

Replies : 140

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 9th, 2018, 21:32   #11
Laney760
VOC Member

Thanks, I've looked at the FAQ

The readings I get from the reader are 1-1-1 and then 1-1 three times which could be 2 - 2 -2 which does equate to fuel pump relay

I am going to replace the fuel pump relay myself and then put it in the garage

Can anyone tell me where the fuel pump relay is please

Current '96 945 2.3 lpt - Aurigas, tailgate spoiler, sports grille, lpg fuelled
Previous '88 764 TD, '92 945 TD, '88 745, '81 244 DL
Laney760 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9th, 2018, 21:35   #12
Laney760
VOC Member

Now I'm totally confused, I was leaning towards fuel pump relay

I'll get the car relayed to the Audi garage in Reading tomorrow, as approved by the RAC

I cannot get to work without my car, I was going to spend a couple of days trying to fix it myself but its probably easier to put it in the garage

The RAC guy said my car is too old to have a crank sensor but I knew he was wrong, he was pretty useless to be honest

Last edited by Laney760; Oct 9th, 2018 at 22:03.
Old Oct 9th, 2018, 21:37   #13
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laney760 View Post
Can somebody tell me where the fuel pump relay is please
In the fusebox on the left. Item E in this pretty picture :

It'll be either white or green, loads on ebay, new pattern parts for about £20 from Charlton Volvo.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 9th, 2018, 21:39   #14
Forrest
VOC Member

The fuel pump relay is in the main relay block behind the front ash tray. It is very easy to access if you remove the lighter socket and cubby hole as well. From memory, you pull the surround by the lighter socket to reveal two screws and once they are removed you can then pull the trim forward and out. It is also possible to pull the whole fuse box and relay tray out, but it is fiddly to get back and you’d probably want to disconnect the battery negative lead before attempting that.
Forrest is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Forrest For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 9th, 2018, 21:43   #15
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Now I'm totally confused, I was leaning towards fuel pump relay

I'll get the car relayed to the Audi garage in Reading tomorrow, as approved by the RAC

I cannot to work without my car, I was going to spend a couple of days trying to fix it myself but its probably easier to put it in the garage

The RAC guy said my car is too old to have a crank sensor but I knew he was wrong, he was pretty useless to be honest
If you're just going to throw money at it, buy yourself a CPS and fit it yourself and also a fuel pump relay and fit that, testing after each one.
Already explained how to test the RSR which is the other usual cause and to be honest, Audi people will know even less than a Volvo garage at this stage of the game. Your car is too old to have OBD-II in it's newest form so they can't plug it in to a generic fault code reader, that means they'll be stuck before they start!

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Old Oct 9th, 2018, 21:48   #16
Forrest
VOC Member

Excellent recent article with pictures on how to replace the CPS.

https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=286054

Don’t drop the screw into the bell housing!

I use a 940 for my daily commute. It is usually very reliable. I do own three 940s and a MK2 VW Scirocco. This summer I was down to just one working car for a couple of weeks. It was, of course, my lowest mileage 940.
Forrest is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Forrest For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 9th, 2018, 22:02   #17
Laney760
VOC Member

Cheers! I've owned her for 6.5 years now, this is the first time it's ever let me down if you exclude alternator belts which I seem to go through at a rate of knots for some reason

Ok, so the rev counter IS slightly moving up and down when I turn the key, I thought it was vibration but it isn't, it is moving up and down

I'd just come back in yet again from the car when I saw your post, I decided to check the obvious which the RAC guy hadn't, I pulled out the ashtray and the fuel pump fuse is ok but I guess it would be as I can hear the pump whirr. Shouldn't the RAC guy have had the ashtray out to get to the relay and check it then? I did tell him I had a Haynes Manual :-)

I think I have to stop going out and looking at it with a torch now and try and relax and get some sleep and start afresh in the morning!

Huge thanks to everyone for all the advice

Old Oct 9th, 2018, 22:05   #18
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
Sounds very like the CPS, the rev counter twitch is very tiny, needs careful looking for.

However, this thread might be useful for you :

https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=285082
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forrest View Post
Excellent recent article with pictures on how to replace the CPS.

https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=286054
Great minds!

Old Oct 9th, 2018, 22:05   #19
Ian21401
Premier Member

Default Fuel Pump Relay location.

I have a 1992 940 2.0L petrol.
The fuel pump relay is on the relay board part of the central electrical unit behind the ash tray, where the fuses are. (Part no. VO3523608)
On my car it is relay "E" which is at the left hand end of the 2nd back row. The round bulb failure sensor is in the back row next to it.

"radio suppression relay" is mounted in the engine compartment.(Part no. VO1323592 )Haynes calls it the "injector relay". I believe that it is fitted to prevent radio interference caused by the injectors. It is a small black box, about the size of a match box.
On my car it is at the front of the engine compartment, on the driver's side, clipped to the bodywork in front of the coolant header tank.

There is also the Ignition Amplifier (Part no.VO3501921. Bosch part no. 0227 100124 ) This is another small box in the engine bay on the passenger side behind the air filter box. Access requires removal of the air filter box and it's bracket.

The "crank position sensor" ( or RPM sensor ) (Part no.VO271949 ) is more difficult to access as it is bolted into the top of the clutch bell housing at the back of the engine block. There is only one bolt to remove and the wiring to disconnect but it is very fiddly and care is required to prevent losing the bolt inside the bell housing.

There is lot of info. at http://www.davebarton.com/volvorelays.html if you can still access it.
The site is now moved to http://240turbo.com/volvorelays.html

Last edited by Ian21401; Oct 9th, 2018 at 22:14. Reason: Update the web site address. & correct typo.
Ian21401 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ian21401 For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 9th, 2018, 22:12   #20
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Cheers! I've owned her for 6.5 years now, this is the first time it's ever let me down if you exclude alternator belts which I seem to go through at a rate of knots for some reason

Ok, so the rev counter IS slightly moving up and down when I turn the key, I thought it was vibration but it isn't, it is moving up and down

I'd just come back in yet again from the car when I saw your post, I decided to check the obvious which the RAC guy hadn't, I pulled out the ashtray and the fuel pump fuse is ok but I guess it would be as I can hear the pump whirr. Shouldn't the RAC guy have had the ashtray out to get to the relay and check it then? I did tell him I had a Haynes Manual :-)

I think I have to stop going out and looking at it with a torch now and try and relax and get some sleep and start afresh in the morning!

Huge thanks to everyone for all the advice
Fuel pumps running, rev counter twitching, that's two down out of the obvious three. Next one is the RSR (Radio Suppression Relay) which i've already explained further up the thread.

If you can test/check that tomorrow and that seems good, check all your HT leads for security in where they should be, it's not unknown for them to be inadvertently knocked, pulled or whatever and for them to finish working themselves loose after.

If all that looks good, check the carbon brush inside the dizzy cap, make sure that hasn't failed/broken off.

The other option is the ignition amplifier module but usually the rev counter doesn't twitch if that goes.