Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Manual Turbo Intercooler estate MPG...what to realistically

Views : 2874

Replies : 61

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 19th, 2018, 18:32   #11
rwdkev
VOC member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross Slaughter View Post
Oh is this the one that was up in Coventry? I was tempted myself but its really an early saloon I want. Glad to hear its as good as the guy claimed.
This one I assume....?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/90G-VOLVO...Cnv7:rk:4:pf:0
rwdkev is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to rwdkev For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 19th, 2018, 18:39   #12
rwdkev
VOC member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
....twin-tailpipe back box as well - officially only fitted to the 740 Turbo and i believe, only the earlier ones.....
Yes, but also early 760 Turbos as well....
Old Dec 19th, 2018, 19:21   #13
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwdkev View Post
Yes, but also early 760 Turbos as well....
Really? Didn't know that, thanks Kev!

Have to say i've always "ignored" the 760 Turbo, i'm "old skool" in terms of how Volvo used to allocate model numbers and for me, the 740 Turbo is a much purer nomenclature than a 760 Turbo with a red block turbo.
Along similar lines, i've always felt the 360 should be called the 340 2.0 but Volvo started changing their numbering system about that time and the 245, 244 became simply "240", the 760 was launched as the 760 with the V6 then came the 740 - you know where i'm going with all that i'm sure!

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 19th, 2018, 19:53   #14
360beast
Go redblock or go home

Quote:
Really? Didn't know that, thanks Kev!

Have to say i've always "ignored" the 760 Turbo, i'm "old skool" in terms of how Volvo used to allocate model numbers and for me, the 740 Turbo is a much purer nomenclature than a 760 Turbo with a red block turbo.
Along similar lines, i've always felt the 360 should be called the 340 2.0 but Volvo started changing their numbering system about that time and the 245, 244 became simply "240", the 760 was launched as the 760 with the V6 then came the 740 - you know where i'm going with all that i'm sure!
Technically there is an actual "360" in the form of the 363cs which was a one off with an Alfa Romeo driveline and the PRV engine. They also did a 343 XD1 which had a VW turbo diesel and had the diesel land speed record in 1978.
360beast is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 360beast For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 19th, 2018, 20:15   #15
rwdkev
VOC member

Quote:
Don't forget those 740's and 940's with 6-cyl diesel engines.....and that's before we even think about the 780 lol.....!!

Last edited by rwdkev; Dec 19th, 2018 at 20:17. Reason: Copy and paste error
Old Dec 19th, 2018, 20:36   #16
AllHailKingVolvo
Ye olde Volvii galore!

Quote:
Well sleuthed...yep that's the one. I may have paid over the odds but I was lucky enough to have a bit of extra cash kicking about and I've wanted one for a long time. So few of them left now, let alone in decent shape. MOT history is clean bar one advisory for driveshaft centre support bearing which the dealer is taking care of along with a fresh ticket.
‘88 745 GL B200E M47
AllHailKingVolvo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to AllHailKingVolvo For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 19th, 2018, 22:05   #17
baggy798
🤍💙💗

This was on facebook a week ago.

Both front indicators are wrong (from the mid-facelift 740), missing rear mudflaps, rip in front seat, broken radio aerial, no driver's seat belt, busted wing mirrors.

High miles but the MOT suggests a good car underneath.

It's late enough to be LH2.4, so about the same MPG as an equivalent 940 HPT.

It's the flat front 740 Turbos that drink like crazy.
Old Dec 19th, 2018, 22:15   #18
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 360beast View Post
Technically there is an actual "360" in the form of the 363cs which was a one off with an Alfa Romeo driveline and the PRV engine. They also did a 343 XD1 which had a VW turbo diesel and had the diesel land speed record in 1978.
Is the PRV 360 what was built to homologate the PRV engine and Alfa drive train so they could use it for racing? Seem to recall it was something like 600bhp on the race track?!?!?!??

Quote:
Don't forget those 740's and 940's with 6-cyl diesel engines.....and that's before we even think about the 780 lol.....!!
Ah, the Devils Fuel! Never trust an engine that doesn't need a spark to make it fire!

As for the 780, i can sort of forgive that one in a strange way. When the PRV was concieved, it was originally meant to be a V8, hence the 90 degree angle between banks.
Then the fuel crisis of the early 70s struck (1973?) and they "dropped" 2 cylinders off it, thinking they wouldn't be able to sell a new V8 onto the market as it was.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19th, 2018, 22:24   #19
AllHailKingVolvo
Ye olde Volvii galore!

Yep it has a few issues, the mirrors and seatbelt are being sorted by the dealer (it will need them for the MOT of course), the rest of the odds and ends I can take care of. Its structurally solid and rust free, everything works and the engine, box and clutch are issue free, or so I'm assured. The miles don't bother me too much, especially as it's not been tampered with and has the later 13mm rods, so should be good for those miles. I expect to get my hands dirty changing gearbox and OD oil but that's not an issue. The dealer checks out as a genuine guy according to reviews online going back 3yrs+, and was immensely helpful with my barrage of questions over the phone, so no alarm bells ringing there.

It's a roll of the dice putting a deposit on the car sight unseen, but I'll know within minutes if it's right when I go to pick it up...I have a good feeling about it though. I've seen some less than stellar cars in the last few weeks and jumped on this one as soon as I spied it.
‘88 745 GL B200E M47
AllHailKingVolvo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AllHailKingVolvo For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 20th, 2018, 00:59   #20
Ross Slaughter
No longer Volvoless

Well done buddy, I’m sure she’s a good’un.
Ross Slaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ross Slaughter For This Useful Post: