Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

The mystery of the power steering belt

Views : 1213

Replies : 18

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 1st, 2019, 11:39   #1
360beast
Go redblock or go home

Default The mystery of the power steering belt

My power steering belt is doing my head in, it is so tight it squeals constantly really loud until I have been driving for about 30 mins which is getting embarrassing.

I have slackened it off several times now. The adjuster doesn't move but the belt gets tight again over a few days until it starts squealing again.

I will be trying a new belt soon as I will be replacing my leaking waterpump o-ring at the same time. I have had a look on google and cant find anything.
360beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1st, 2019, 11:46   #2
Stephen Edwin
Premier Member

A possibility. The belt might be too narrow for [one of] the pulleys. Does the belt have a V profile and sit with the V faces against the V shape of the pulley[s] or is it [at times] sitting right down in the depths of the V cross section of the pulley[s] therefore not making proper contact with the V faces?
Stephen Edwin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Stephen Edwin For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 1st, 2019, 13:01   #3
bob12
bob12

If it is the adjuster it 'sounds' to me as though the adjuster needs dis-assembling and freeing up so that it works properly (which from what you say it isn't at the moment). Not sure what car you are talking about, but it is should be to be the same as the one at the alternator unless someone has been changed it.
bob12 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bob12 For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 1st, 2019, 15:30   #4
360beast
Go redblock or go home

1997 940 B230FK

The belt is a genuine Volvo one but I don't know how old.

Here are some photos of the belt and adjuster.

Volvo 940 power steering by Luke Ryland - Flickr2BBcode LITE

The adjuster works so far as that once the mounting bolts are slackened I can see the adjuster winding the alternator in/out.

This one has me stumped as I can't understand how it is moving as once the securing bolts are tightened it shouldn't move and if it did move I would have thought it would go loose not tighten!
360beast is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 360beast For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 1st, 2019, 15:49   #5
jor
VOC 20573

Default power steering belt

I'm not sure if your set up is like this one, but should it be you will note that there are many arms and bolts involved in hanging the power steering apparatus from the alternator, even before you get to the adjuster. It's not even a simple task to even get the pulley directly lined up with the crank pulley - at least for me, as you can see there is a slight angle on the belt.

jor
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ps1.jpg (68.2 KB, 30 views)
File Type: jpg ps2.jpg (55.9 KB, 27 views)
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jor For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 1st, 2019, 22:01   #6
lnparry

Hi 360,

I have had this problem on my '97 945 LPT.

I think the issue is that the power steering mounting bracket has worn resulting in the pump pulley not sitting squarely with the crank pulley. The clue is in your photos - the front part of your belt is sitting high on the pulley compared with the rear of the belt. This is because the belt is trying to twist as the crank / steering pump pulley is out of line - hence the squeal.

To test this hypothesis rub a piece of dry soap against each side of the belt (PLEASE BE CAREFULL WITH YOUR FINGERS). The squeal should go but will return very quickly. Silicone grease applied to the edges of the belt may keep things quiet for a little longer.

If I am correct the only real fix is a new mounting bracket. Not easy to find but I did get one from FRS in Swansea.

Think I put a post on here somewhere about this issue.

Good luck and happy new year.
LeeP
lnparry is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to lnparry For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 2nd, 2019, 00:13   #7
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Slightly different way of looking at things Luke, the water pump "O" ring is leaking right? Spraying water out under pressure until the coolant level drops below the "O" ring? You obviously top up each day from the sound of things?

Water on a belt, even a tight one, will cause it to squeal. There may be some joy looking into the bracket idea as well (posted by Lee i think) and i would think you have a spare, might be worth swapping them when you do the "O" ring and just see what happens.

Alternatively, do one of those things, test it, if it's gone you know what cured it (and hence what caused it) and then do the other one.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2nd, 2019, 07:34   #8
mjk164
VOC Member

1. Sort the water leak out first 'cos as Dave says, it will cause noise.
2. Make sure the pulley alignment is correct and
3. if it is, the put on a new belt of the correct size and properly tension it.
That should do it. Keep away from any anti noise sprays and the like; the problem is either alignment, leaks onto the belt or an incorrect or worn belt (shiney sides). The white block engines have a spring loaded roller tensioner on the belt and, after years of use, the roller bearing in it gets worn and changes the alignment, and you will never get it to work silently until you renew it.
mjk164 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mjk164 For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 2nd, 2019, 11:29   #9
lnparry

Hi 360,

Found my old post:

https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=217728

The new bracket fixed my squeal but worth checking other causes as suggested on here.

The soap test will reveal all but watch those fingers.

LeeP
lnparry is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to lnparry For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 2nd, 2019, 12:11   #10
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Spray on belt dressing is safer than soap on your fingers!

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post: