Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Most Unreliable Car

Views : 4927

Replies : 53

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 20th, 2020, 15:44   #41
biggbn
I've Been Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev0607 View Post
That would be a fair comparison because they're both SUV's. Comparing a Toyota IQ with a Bentley Continental isn't a fair comparison, like that warranty company mentioned earlier in this thread does (An IQ shouldn't be on the same list as a £100k+ car, in my opinion). Put the top end luxury cars on one list & your small city cars on another - That's my personal view.

Number 1 on the list on this website https://www.reliabilityindex.com/
is a Toyota IQ (a small city car) & towards the bottom of the list are top end sports cars like an Aston Martin DB9 & a Bentley Continental GT. Yes, you'd expect your £100k car to be reliable, but there's much more to go wrong that when it does, it costs more to repair because its a top end prestige car... A Toyota IQ isn't. Based on that, they (top end cars) get marked down for reliability because they cost more to repair than the little Toyota. There's ten times as many things to go wrong (literally) & these luxury cars cost ten times the price. Who would have thought that a Bentley would be more expensive to repair than a Toyota IQ, or may be less reliable? Cars with complicated electronics all have the same issues. BMW, Bentley, Rolls Royce, Land Rover, Mercedes... That doesn't mean you put them on a list with a car that if you're lucky has electric windows & central locking.

I'd be annoyed if my Toyota IQ cost as much to repair as my fancy Bentley. Being a small city car with literally no complicated electronics, air suspension etc, I'd expect it to be reliable because there's hardly anything to go wrong (You can just about fit a bag of shopping in the boot). Again, that's why I say small city cars shouldn't be on the same list as a top end prestige vehicles.

Lexus always have been, certainly for many years, considered to be the pinnacle of reliability... yet there's hardly any on the roads? Don't be fooled though, they cost a fortune to repair when things do go wrong (Which does happen, as they won't last forever without some kind of hiccup).

You'll count multiple Mercedes, BMW's etc on your daily drive, but hardly any Lexus... Odd, but true. That seems weird considering they're so reliable, but I think its because there's very few diesel models (Apart from the IS as far as I recall, possibly one or two other models) & that wasn't particularly reliable either from what I've heard. So people looking for an Lexus IS sized car go for the more desirable BMW 3 series, or C Class Mercedes (both drive better than the IS actually & outsold the IS by miles). Lexus mainly stuck to big cars with big petrol engines = not affordable to run for most people. Hybrids of course is another forte of theirs, but again, they (Lexus Hybrids) aren't particularly popular either. Another let down is the CVT transmissions that they put in their vehicles. Yes they're incredibly reliable, but have you heard the roar they make at motorway speed? That is not what I expect from a luxury car.
Have you driven an ls600h? Engine and transmission are inauadible. Cvt seems to really suit that installation. Acquaintance owned an ls for 10 years. Needed a set of tyres, brake pads I think and one bulb.
biggbn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20th, 2020, 21:24   #42
Bonefishblues
Premier Member

Quote:
That would be a fair comparison because they're both SUV's. Comparing a Toyota IQ with a Bentley Continental isn't a fair comparison, like that warranty company mentioned earlier in this thread does (An IQ shouldn't be on the same list as a £100k+ car, in my opinion). Put the top end luxury cars on one list & your small city cars on another - That's my personal view.

Number 1 on the list on this website https://www.reliabilityindex.com/
is a Toyota IQ (a small city car) & towards the bottom of the list are top end sports cars like an Aston Martin DB9 & a Bentley Continental GT. Yes, you'd expect your £100k car to be reliable, but there's much more to go wrong that when it does, it costs more to repair because its a top end prestige car... A Toyota IQ isn't. Based on that, they (top end cars) get marked down for reliability because they cost more to repair than the little Toyota. There's ten times as many things to go wrong (literally) & these luxury cars cost ten times the price. Who would have thought that a Bentley would be more expensive to repair than a Toyota IQ, or may be less reliable? Cars with complicated electronics all have the same issues. BMW, Bentley, Rolls Royce, Land Rover, Mercedes... That doesn't mean you put them on a list with a car that if you're lucky has electric windows & central locking.

I'd be annoyed if my Toyota IQ cost as much to repair as my fancy Bentley. Being a small city car with literally no complicated electronics, air suspension etc, I'd expect it to be reliable because there's hardly anything to go wrong (You can just about fit a bag of shopping in the boot). Again, that's why I say small city cars shouldn't be on the same list as a top end prestige vehicles.

Lexus always have been, certainly for many years, considered to be the pinnacle of reliability... yet there's hardly any on the roads? Don't be fooled though, they cost a fortune to repair when things do go wrong (Which does happen, as they won't last forever without some kind of hiccup).

You'll count multiple Mercedes, BMW's etc on your daily drive, but hardly any Lexus... Odd, but true. That seems weird considering they're so reliable, but I think its because there's very few diesel models (Apart from the IS as far as I recall, possibly one or two other models) & that wasn't particularly reliable either from what I've heard. So people looking for an Lexus IS sized car go for the more desirable BMW 3 series, or C Class Mercedes (both drive better than the IS actually & outsold the IS by miles). Lexus mainly stuck to big cars with big petrol engines = not affordable to run for most people. Hybrids of course is another forte of theirs, but again, they (Lexus Hybrids) aren't particularly popular either. Another let down is the CVT transmissions that they put in their vehicles. Yes they're incredibly reliable, but have you heard the roar they make at motorway speed? That is not what I expect from a luxury car.
I suspect someone looking at a DB9 may not pay particular heed to the relative 'reliability' of a Toyota IQ - or the DB9's to be honest.

It's just a bit of data, compiled from their own readily available stats, for the express purpose of publicising the Warranty Company. I'm not sure why you're so exercised by it?
Bonefishblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21st, 2020, 20:18   #43
volvo always
Premier Member

I like Lexus, but not the IS220 Diesel. Awful engine and gearbox, turbo lag and head gasket went at 187,000 miles. Got 18 months out of it.

I like the GS 450h and the RX400H.

They, like all cars have issues, like the air suspension, Y piece on exhaust rotting out around 12 years on the IS250. Sticking sliders on brakes. The nice thing though, like an older Volvo, aftermarket parts available.

The build quality is fabulous and even a 2006 IS220D has driver and passenger knee airbags, side, curtain and front. Traction Control and Vehicle stability Control.

Yes, I would buy another Lexus, probably a GS450h or RX400h.

I have a 2015 Toyota Auris Hybrid, Good car. It does make a noise only when accelerating hard while up to the Motorway speed limit, then back to normal. Now I don't even notice.

The AC has stopped working, had to wait 2 months as condenser on back order, but thankfully being replaced under Toyota warranty next week.

Would love a Toyota Corolla 2 litre hybrid, Estate in Denim Blue or Scarlet Flare! The 2 litre apparently less roar when revved and more diesel like in driveability.

James.

Last edited by volvo always; Sep 21st, 2020 at 20:29.
volvo always is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21st, 2020, 20:45   #44
biggbn
I've Been Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by volvo always View Post
I like Lexus, but not the IS220 Diesel. Awful engine and gearbox, turbo lag and head gasket went at 187,000 miles. Got 18 months out of it.

I like the GS 450h and the RX400H.

They, like all cars have issues, like the air suspension, Y piece on exhaust rotting out around 12 years on the IS250. Sticking sliders on brakes. The nice thing though, like an older Volvo, aftermarket parts available.

The build quality is fabulous and even a 2006 IS220D has driver and passenger knee airbags, side, curtain and front. Traction Control and Vehicle stability Control.

Yes, I would buy another Lexus, probably a GS450h or RX400h.

I have a 2015 Toyota Auris Hybrid, Good car. It does make a noise only when accelerating hard while up to the Motorway speed limit, then back to normal. Now I don't even notice.

The AC has stopped working, had to wait 2 months as condenser on back order, but thankfully being replaced under Toyota warranty next week.

Would love a Toyota Corolla 2 litre hybrid, Estate in Denim Blue or Scarlet Flare! The 2 litre apparently less roar when revved and more diesel like in driveability.

James.
That gen IS definitely had diesel problems, know a few owners who had problems, and the older rx models can rot!! But I would have a ls600h from say, 2014 or so over any other luxury car.
Old Sep 21st, 2020, 21:04   #45
volvo always
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggbn View Post
That gen IS definitely had diesel problems, know a few owners who had problems, and the older rx models can rot!! But I would have a ls600h from say, 2014 or so over any other luxury car.
They can indeed. The problem seems so many plastic covers, you don't see it until too late!

The IS220D should never of had a Lexus badge!
The LS 600H as you say is lovely, especially with the Rear Relaxation package with reclining seats.
I also like the older LS430. Prefer the more modern looks of the LS460 though.

James.
volvo always is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21st, 2020, 22:31   #46
biggbn
I've Been Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by volvo always View Post
They can indeed. The problem seems so many plastic covers, you don't see it until too late!

The IS220D should never of had a Lexus badge!
The LS 600H as you say is lovely, especially with the Rear Relaxation package with reclining seats.
I also like the older LS430. Prefer the more modern looks of the LS460 though.

James.
ls400 over 430 for me, absolute honey of a car.
Old Sep 22nd, 2020, 00:52   #47
Kev0607
Premier Member

Quote:
Have you driven an ls600h? Engine and transmission are inauadible. Cvt seems to really suit that installation. Acquaintance owned an ls for 10 years. Needed a set of tyres, brake pads I think and one bulb.
I think the petrol IS models are good, but the diesel not so much.

I haven't driven an LS600H, but I've had a spin in two GS300's (A 2005 & a 2007). The newer GS300 CVT sounds like a roaring moped under acceleration, so I can only assume the LS is more refined in terms of insulation etc being the pinnacle of the Lexus range.

A chap who lives a few doors down from me had a Mercedes S600 with the limo body (I think that was a 2002 plate), but he swapped that for an LS460 (not a hybrid, 2008 plate if I recall correctly). He said he's lucky to get 12mpg out of the LS around town, but I suppose that's to be expected on a car that size (Just over 5 metres long) with a massive 4.6 litre petrol engine. Then again, he said the Merc was around the same & it was actually a bigger car.

The newer LS600 hybrid's (2013 onwards) are surprisingly economical considering they still have 5.0 litre petrol engines. That's where the hybrid aspect comes into action I suppose, but to get 25-26mpg** around town out of a car that has a 5.0 litre petrol engine & is around 5.2 metres long is decent (Newer models are longer than the older ones). **Quoted figures, probably much less than this in real world.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonefishblues View Post
I suspect someone looking at a DB9 may not pay particular heed to the relative 'reliability' of a Toyota IQ - or the DB9's to be honest.

It's just a bit of data, compiled from their own readily available stats, for the express purpose of publicising the Warranty Company. I'm not sure why you're so exercised by it?
Maybe they should collate & publish the data properly. I'm not "exercised" by anything... I'm just stating my opinion that a Toyota IQ shouldn't be on the same list as a £100k sports car. Again, this is my opinion... Whether you agree or not is your choice & I'm not particularly bothered if you do or don't.

Last edited by Kev0607; Sep 22nd, 2020 at 01:12.
Kev0607 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22nd, 2020, 08:16   #48
biggbn
I've Been Banned

Quote:
I think the petrol IS models are good, but the diesel not so much.

I haven't driven an LS600H, but I've had a spin in two GS300's (A 2005 & a 2007). The newer GS300 CVT sounds like a roaring moped under acceleration, so I can only assume the LS is more refined in terms of insulation etc being the pinnacle of the Lexus range.

A chap who lives a few doors down from me had a Mercedes S600 with the limo body (I think that was a 2002 plate), but he swapped that for an LS460 (not a hybrid, 2008 plate if I recall correctly). He said he's lucky to get 12mpg out of the LS around town, but I suppose that's to be expected on a car that size (Just over 5 metres long) with a massive 4.6 litre petrol engine. Then again, he said the Merc was around the same & it was actually a bigger car.

The newer LS600 hybrid's (2013 onwards) are surprisingly economical considering they still have 5.0 litre petrol engines. That's where the hybrid aspect comes into action I suppose, but to get 25-26mpg** around town out of a car that has a 5.0 litre petrol engine & is around 5.2 metres long is decent (Newer models are longer than the older ones). **Quoted figures, probably much less than this in real world.

Maybe they should collate & publish the data properly. I'm not "exercised" by anything... I'm just stating my opinion that a Toyota IQ shouldn't be on the same list as a £100k sports car. Again, this is my opinion... Whether you agree or not is your choice & I'm not particularly bothered if you do or don't.
To clarify, I am talking about the LS, IS is a much lesser model and quite rightly, lexus don't use diesel in their halo cars. I find that astonishing that your acquaintance got 12mpg round town. None of the larger engined cars I have owned have plumbed those depths but I guess it depends on what 'round town' means. My old 97 LS400 would pull low thirties on any decent run, ease into high teens/low twenties used around town and averaged 22/24mpg week in week out all the time I had it.
Old Sep 23rd, 2020, 02:35   #49
Kev0607
Premier Member

Quote:
To clarify, I am talking about the LS, IS is a much lesser model and quite rightly, lexus don't use diesel in their halo cars. I find that astonishing that your acquaintance got 12mpg round town. None of the larger engined cars I have owned have plumbed those depths but I guess it depends on what 'round town' means. My old 97 LS400 would pull low thirties on any decent run, ease into high teens/low twenties used around town and averaged 22/24mpg week in week out all the time I had it.
He only uses his LS460 (2008 plate) for short runs to a factory that he owns, which is probably around 5 miles away at a push & back home again (10 miles per day). I can only presume that the engine is barely getting warm only doing a 5 mile trip & that affects the mpg. Although petrol cars do get warmer quicker than diesel ones do, generally. The car itself only books at 17mpg around town (Not a hybrid model), so 12mpg real world isn't a million miles off. Maybe mpg would increase if he took it on a longer "round town" trip. He doesn't though, it just goes to & from his factory each day and its garaged most weekends.

As long as I've known, he's always had big saloons with big engines, loaded to the hilt with accessories (Nice choices ). Prior to the LS460, he had a Mercedes S600L... That was a very big car, the 460 looks small in comparison.
Old Sep 23rd, 2020, 08:36   #50
SignumGB
XC70 Owner/VOC Member

My wife is on her second Honda Jazz. She got another last year, as the previous model to her, was so reliable and only needed bits and bobs done, so cheap to run. She did circa 10,000 miles per yer.

My Volvo XC70 since purchase in January 2019, so far spent £1,370 on maintenance. That includes servicing, MOTs, and parts for replacement. Most expensive part so far was the recent trail arm bushings. In the next year or so, that cost curve should drop/level off (touch wood). So far averaging £685 annually.

2012 Volvo XC70 3.0L AWD T6 [CAN🍁]
2015 Volvo XC70 2.4L AWD D4 SE LUX - Sold 78,728 Miles (July 2023) [GB]
2012 Volvo XC70 2.4L AWD D3 SE LUX - Written off 76,500 Miles (Aug 2017)[GB]

Last edited by SignumGB; Sep 23rd, 2020 at 09:24.
SignumGB is offline   Reply With Quote