Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

60 MPH Limit on Motorways

Views : 5318

Replies : 121

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 12th, 2020, 21:32   #11
EssexExile
Master Member

Pollution levels are made worse by erratic speed, acceleration and braking. A constant speed is more efficient and less polluting, that's the point of managed motorways.
Old Sep 12th, 2020, 21:43   #12
Harvey1512
Premier Member

The reduced limit may also help the traffic flow better. Consistent moving cars pollute less than stop start cars, cars that are braking and then accelerating.

There are a couple of stretches near to me which have 50mph limits and they work pretty well, better than the previous national speed limits.

Edit, sorry I hadn't seen the previous post which covers my point.
Old Sep 12th, 2020, 21:48   #13
Dash300
High Grand Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dippydog View Post
There have been several fuel "crises" the last I think was '74 or 5 when it was mooted that fuel rationing was a possibility-I still have the [unused as the rationing never took place]ration book issued for the MkIII Zephyr I owned at the time.I'd have thought pollution levels more a by product of traffic volume rather than speed?
1973 fuel crisis with Saudis messing about with supply. I still have my fuel vouchers issued in relation to vehicle logbooks. Lots of sheds went boom as people stockpiled fuel! 'And you tell the youngsters today and they just don't believe you but we were 'appy!

Maybe the Hokey Cokey is what it's all about!
Dash300 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dash300 For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 12th, 2020, 23:29   #14
GMcL
0's and 1's

There is an argument that recent events have failed to reduce polution:
https://eandt.theiet.org/content/art...d-study-finds/

You can either be told what to believe or you can do your own research...

Previous: 2005 Volvo S60 D5 Sport - 2017 Focus RS
GMcL is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GMcL For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 12th, 2020, 23:40   #15
MROffroad

As a HGV driver slowing people down will force trucks to slow... this will push them out their efficiency zone.... use more fuel and more smog into air. 11mpg on a run and 5mpg working hard is not great
MROffroad is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MROffroad For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 12th, 2020, 23:52   #16
GMcL
0's and 1's

Shhh! Never mind facts, you are one of hundreds of trucks it will all even out in the mash.

Previous: 2005 Volvo S60 D5 Sport - 2017 Focus RS
GMcL is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GMcL For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 13th, 2020, 07:45   #17
Harvey1512
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MROffroad View Post
As a HGV driver slowing people down will force trucks to slow... this will push them out their efficiency zone.... use more fuel and more smog into air. 11mpg on a run and 5mpg working hard is not great
Why would it force trucks to slow? If cars are moving smoothly and evenly at 60mph then surely you can carry on driving at your legal limit smoothly as well? Cars doing 80 then breaking, the concertina effect, will affect you much more I would have thought.
Old Sep 13th, 2020, 08:30   #18
green van man
Premier Member

M4 around Port Talbot has had 50 mph limit for years, now extended by about 5 miles to control polution.

Irony is, the steel works pump out far more from their blast furnaces than the traffic passing does. Hay How, set the cruse to 50 and bumble through. Average speed cameras have replaced the single speed camera so if you don't want to pay you know what to do..

The thing with hgv or limited vehicles is loss of momentum, while my 5 ton limited van will pick up again quite well for what it is try that with 42 ton behind you. Approaching a hill you are trying to biuld momentum to carry you up and you will be limited to 56 mph, the car in front is doing 60, but when it hits the hill it too is lacking momentum, if it's a 200hp volvo driver puts his foot down and away he goes, if it's a clapped out Nissan micra driver puts his foot down and very little happens except more smoke comes out the back end, by which time the the limited vehicle is having to back off, momentum is lost and it is now a hard slog through the gears to get to the top. My limited vehicle will exceed it's set limit downhill with foot off the throttle, the moment you put your foot down engine braking comes into play and it holds you back.

Try it with older cruse control systems where they are braking down the hill to keep the set speed and then driving hard up the other side trying to maintain the set speed. Driver would back off down hill, letting the car run faster then use that potentential energy to assist the climb.

Paul.
green van man is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to green van man For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 13th, 2020, 09:21   #19
M4ss4

The 60 limit to help pollution had been present between junc 27 - 29 on the M1 at various times over the last few years. It seems to not be a thing at the moment. It wasn't really a big deal but did feel frustrating when the motorway was somewhat empty.

From what I read yesterday the trial for the M1 will be junction 34 which is after I leave the motorway so won't affect me now. With that particular stretch being a large bridge it always feels somewhat exposed in poor weather (common for Sheffield haha) so always tend to hold back there anyway. Will be interesting to see what the results in pollution reduction are really.
M4ss4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13th, 2020, 10:15   #20
alanin53
Not so new member

Quote:
1973 fuel crisis with Saudis messing about with supply. I still have my fuel vouchers issued in relation to vehicle logbooks. Lots of sheds went boom as people stockpiled fuel! 'And you tell the youngsters today and they just don't believe you but we were 'appy!
Shed? Luxury! We used to have to keep our fuel in an 'ole at t'bottom of t'garden.

Last edited by alanin53; Sep 13th, 2020 at 10:22.
alanin53 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to alanin53 For This Useful Post: