Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 300/66 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

300/66 Series General Forum for the Volvo 340, 360 and 66 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

the dream

Views : 1136

Replies : 8

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 14th, 2014, 21:00   #1
bernard

Lightbulb the dream

evening everyone as most of us have dreams and long for the car to tinker with and have as the little toy they enjoy on the nice sunny days
i have decided to share my ideas for that car some may be daft but its only a dream

make: volvo (of course)
model: 360 (brill car plus i like hatch backs)
colour: black (they look nicer black)

what i would do:

engine: swap the 2.0 for a 2.5 or 2.3 850 t5 or t5r engine saw a video with a 360 with a t5 engine in but the bloke cut away at the bulk head (not a good idea i think you all would agree) i would try and move it forward some what and change the original fan for a more up to date one that will sit in front of the rad rather than behind (air blown is more efficient than sucked i always believe) and add the inter-cooler for the turbo

drive: if its possible change it from RWD to AWD (4x4)

wiring harness: as i can say the wiring under the bonnet of my old 340 wasn't the neatest im guessing the 360 would be pretty much the same
i would pull out the old loom fire some hooks into the garage wall to hold the old harness then extend/ shorten areas that need changing to make it neat and maybe start again from scratch and use lower gauge cables where i can to reduce a little weight (reason explained later) then marry the 850's engine harness to the 360's making sure its still going to be neat and tidy and add the cables needed for a amp and run all speakers off it (or just a sub not decided on that just yet) but not a stupidly big amp as im not planning on becoming deaf by 28 lol just big enough to give a good sound quality

lights: i would remove all incandescent bulbs and swap them for led's and bi xenon in the head lamps (got my sister xenon lights for her car so decided to try them out on my 340 and it looked quite good to me i can provide the guys details i got them off if you want to know),
and maybe make up some blue under car led neon's (i know illegal but wont have them switched on, on the road) something else i did and it also looked funky on the old girl, also planned to make some led lights to sit in the cut outs in/ under the bonnet but never got round to designing them

wheels: i would get the widest wheels i could get away with on the car (without making heavy mods to the arches)

instrument panel: i would look closely as the rev counter of the 850 and the 360 to see if they will be compatible and if not i would get hold of a knackered 360 rev counter for the housing and put the guts from the 850 rev counter into the housing of the 360 rev counter housing
i would put in a turbo pressure gauge and the other spare hole i would find something to put into it

wacky mods: when i was in college i had access to the electronics room (1 years electronics is required to train as a modern 17th edition electrician) and i know how to split h2o (water) into h2 (hydrogen) and o2 (oxygen) so when i was in college i made a rig to experiment with and found that the more dc volts i could put through the more it produced so what i would do is make a system that would produce enough voltage to make enough to effect how the engine runs, then have a two setting ecu setting 1 (eco) have the ecu to make the engine run as economical as possible, setting 2 (sport) have the ecu set to give as much power/ performance as possible

interior: the seats would pretty much stay the same i like how comfy they are but if i could afford to i would get them re-upholstered with black leather and on the two front seats have 360 t5 or t5r on them in either red or blue.
foot well lights (blue led) and a blue interior led light again another thing i did and it looked good as well

exterior: not a lot will be done here just pin stripes like on the 340 red line
have it lowered, stiffen the suspension up, possibly have a novelty sticker in the back window saying you get close i go slow
got one to go on my c30 i thought it was a ace sticker lol
and finally a exhaust that compliments the car not like one of these boy racers who think a exhaust system that shatters windows makes it look better
nothing worse than a exhaust that looks bigger than the car lol

thats pretty much everything in my dream wacky ideas included
hope you all enjoyed reading this as i have enjoyed typing it, feel free to comment
bernard is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bernard For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 15th, 2014, 09:24   #2
360beast
Go redblock or go home

I like your dream

T5 360s have been done before, I know of a 340 with a T5 sat over the rear wheels.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9aADkCb4TSs

Doubt it would get an MOT though

Here's a T5 powered drifter http://www.300power.com/forum/index.php?topic=6463.0

There are a few vids of it on youtube.

And there's one just been complete in Australia but V3M is still being worked on so can't get you the link.

Making it 4WD would be the hardest part but definitely worth it.

Personally I think a Volvo 360 should have a good ol' heavy redblock (turbo of course) just because red blocks make a raspy sound.
360beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15th, 2014, 11:30   #3
Chris_C
Gopher

Minor point, but you can do a fair chunk of fiddling with the stock rev counter. Again, V3M is down, but I've recalibrated mine and fitted a new face so it now redlines at 7 and reads to 8k. As such, I can't see a reason why you couldn't recalibrate it for whatever push output the 5 pushes out (if it needs anything, maybe they kept 2 pulses per rev for ease?)
Orig

WiP

Current
Chris_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15th, 2014, 17:01   #4
360beast
Go redblock or go home

Did something go wrong when you put it back together or is it meant to be like that?
Old Jan 15th, 2014, 18:24   #5
baggy798
🤍💙💗

Sideways rev counter adds 20hp.
baggy798 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to baggy798 For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 15th, 2014, 19:30   #6
Chris_C
Gopher

Nope, was aiming for that

It half has a point, peak power is now vertical. I'm still tempted to rotate the numbers to make it look OEM with 6200 still at the top, but was aiming for the retro race car rotate the gauge thing.
Chris_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15th, 2014, 20:13   #7
bernard

Quote:
Originally Posted by 360beast View Post
I like your dream

T5 360s have been done before, I know of a 340 with a T5 sat over the rear wheels.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9aADkCb4TSs

Doubt it would get an MOT though

Here's a T5 powered drifter http://www.300power.com/forum/index.php?topic=6463.0

There are a few vids of it on youtube.

And there's one just been complete in Australia but V3M is still being worked on so can't get you the link.

Making it 4WD would be the hardest part but definitely worth it.

Personally I think a Volvo 360 should have a good ol' heavy redblock (turbo of course) just because red blocks make a raspy sound.
cool the one i saw had the engine in the front but noticed there was bags of room at the front of the engine which i why i had the idea to move the engine forward
here's the link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B5cgcCvR89M
the 4wd predicament i was hopeing it to be possible to use the 850's awd system perhaps mod or get custom drive shafts that will fit to the narrower 360

does anyone know if the 360 was fully independent suspension? my dad thinks they may have been but cant remember with it being so long since he was last under one

i would love to make this dream a reality (or part of the dream) but without a garage im stuck
and the other half of the battle is finding a tidy black 360 with a original spoiler (the last was a pig to find glad i found it best £20 i ever spent) i wouldn't mind one with high mileage as chances are the engine will be swapped with one of 3 other engines (850 t5, 240 2.3t, 740 2.3t)
Old Jan 15th, 2014, 21:36   #8
360beast
Go redblock or go home

Yeah that vid is of the one on 300power

Stole the pic from it

If you think finding a hatch spoiler was hard try finding the spoiler for a saloon! Not that I want one... I think they ruin the saloon rear.

The rear suspension is a de dion axle (non-independant) joined with the negative camber of the rear wheels and near 50/50 weight distribution makes for a very good handling car. Now that I think about why 4wd? Isn't rwd more fun
Old Jan 15th, 2014, 22:24   #9
bernard

Quote:
Originally Posted by 360beast View Post
Yeah that vid is of the one on 300power

Stole the pic from it

If you think finding a hatch spoiler was hard try finding the spoiler for a saloon! Not that I want one... I think they ruin the saloon rear.

The rear suspension is a de dion axle (non-independant) joined with the negative camber of the rear wheels and near 50/50 weight distribution makes for a very good handling car. Now that I think about why 4wd? Isn't rwd more fun
oh yeah rwd is defo more fun if the 4wd could be disengaged on the move to make the car rwd that would be the best way if its possible can decide if i want to drift a corner or grip round it hugging the inside (on a track stupid idea on the public roads) but finding a system that does that is probably un-likely and chances are if i was to build the car it would stay rwd dont think i could afford a 4wd system that can be disengaged to rwd while rolling lol