Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > Events and Meetings
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Events and Meetings Car events and meetings for Volvo cars can be listed and discussed here.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Volvo UK World Record Attempt March 2019

Views : 92436

Replies : 257

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 25th, 2021, 18:52   #231
Bonefishblues
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dippydog View Post
I would imagine it to be safe enough as if they can have several thousand football fans in a stadium surely having Volvo owners mainly in their own cars would be allowed?
Who have to fulfil the following:

Fans attending the games at Wembley will need to follow a number of strict entry requirements, including having a negative Covid-19 test or proof of full vaccination, which means two vaccine doses, 14 days before the fixture they are attending.
Bonefishblues is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bonefishblues For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 25th, 2021, 19:37   #232
js90
VOC Member

Don't suppose anyone else is travelling up from the South West? I'll be leaving about 7am, aiming to arrive around 11, but with an hour to account for traffic. Travelling back the same day. Going to be a long one!

--Previous MY08 S40 2.0D Manual Barents Blue / MY16 XC60 D5 Manual Osmium Grey
js90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26th, 2021, 19:15   #233
Simmy
Premier Member

to every one traveling to elvington for the 600 have a safe trip and stay safe. hope to see you there....
Simmy is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Simmy For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 28th, 2021, 11:02   #234
Simmy
Premier Member

it was a good day out with an unknown outcome we need to wait to find out if we were successful in the record attempt . its a shame that some chose not to read or follow basic insructions .a big thanks to all the organisers for there huge effort with this event .
The Following User Says Thank You to Simmy For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 28th, 2021, 15:03   #235
Dippydog
Premier Member

Going from the perspective of where we were parked in the original holding area-we were one of the last to set off-there looked to be several places where the gap between cars was far too big.I hope I'm wrong but I think we've probably failed yet again.Time will tell though.
Dippydog is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dippydog For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 28th, 2021, 16:01   #236
Discombobulated
Impressive Member

I’m absolutely gutted I missed this. I saw it being organised last year the forgot all about it!! The worst thing was I live not too far away, was working yesterday and noticed a lot of nice Volvos on the A1, M18 and M1. Then realised why….

If it wasn’t successful (and I hope it was for all those that made the effort) I’ll DEFINITELY be there next time!

Cheers, Luke
Discombobulated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28th, 2021, 16:09   #237
skippyfox
VOC Member

Hope they have got the record in bag. Unfortunately when I got there the V90 decided to spit it's dummy out and refuse to play. Took about 5 minutes of messing about to restart the car. Turns out the key fob battery had died and convinced the car that the key was not in the car. Not wanting to cause a **** up for the start of the run I decided, with heavy heart to abandon ship and head for home. Speaking fluent " French" most of the way home. Wouldn't have minded to much but its only 6 months since I replaced the bloody battery...

A battery. A battery, My kingdom for a battery!!!!

Hope all went well for you all.
skippyfox is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to skippyfox For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 28th, 2021, 16:59   #238
ITSv40
VOC Member

There is absolutely no way the attempt was successful. Too many gaps and stop start, not a moving convoy by any stretch of the imagination. The stop start traffic on the way home on the M1 ran a lot smoother . The organisers did their best, though.
ITSv40 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28th, 2021, 17:21   #239
ilmiont
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ITSv40 View Post
The stop start traffic on the way home on the M1 ran a lot smoother . The organisers did their best, though.
I guess you came across the elusive "obstruction" too? The difference with the 600 was on the M1 you could make the gap as big as you wanted (until idiots annoyingly change lane). I was in lane 2 and managed to keep moving all the way through, by leaving between 1-4 car lengths in front and just letting her roll in first, no throttle input. I came upon the traffic down a wide open bend, could see it stationary ahead, came straight off cruise and let her coast down, the bend swept and went uphill to the traffic and I didn't need to touch the brakes at all, just down through the gears and let her slow and start crawling. A DAF XF quickly changed lane to come in behind me and use the same technique, again several lengths back.

It's amazing how few people understand what causes congestion and how you can help relieve it... because I was moving, everyone behind was also moving. Whereas everything in front was intermittent brake lights and cars jumping forward a few feet at a time.

The trouble with the 600 was although I tried to use this technique as best I could, the speed differences were so extreme you had no choice but to floor it yourself. I had an S60 T5 ahead of me, which the owners had told me was running 320hp, that was holding the gap fine but when the speed picked up it would be off like a rocket (because the ones in front were), and I'd have to be flat out too to hold my gap, knowing with an uneasy mind that it was perpetuating the problem and slower cars didn't stand a chance.

Stop start motorway traffic is more about maintaining a consistent speed; the 600 with the current rules is about maintaining a consistent gap and that is not quite the same thing. Consistent speed was never quite going to be realistic because of cars slowing down to exit the course and the bend at the top of the runway. We probably should have been using much more of the space that was available to avoid the slowdowns as cars went back into columns. There were some needlessly tight turns on the apron too considering the turning circle of the P2 cars. I feel like the organisers did well overall though; there's lessons to learn before another attempt but it was a fun day nonetheless and personally I was way more excited to see all the cars lined up and see them going down the runway, than the actual validity of the world record attempt.

I think the suggestions on Facebook that the organisers pivot to a "largest ever Volvo gathering" record are worth considering as a potentially easier and more universally enjoyable day but if the 600 as-billed were to be revived again, I'd be there for sure.

Last edited by ilmiont; Jun 28th, 2021 at 17:40.
ilmiont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28th, 2021, 18:55   #240
Simmy
Premier Member

i think volvo drive at treffn in holland is bigger than v600

Tags
guinness world record, meet, volvo