Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General Forum for the P3-platform S80 and 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Radio / CD player not working

Views : 599

Replies : 6

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 19th, 2022, 08:03   #1
Paul Bearer

Default Radio / CD player not working

I have had this V70 2.4D 2008 for nearly five years, up until about 6 months ago the factory fitted radio/cd player worked perfectly, one day it just stopped, it lights up but no sound, it changes track or radio station but no sound at all

It didn't bother me, I just got used to no radio but thought I would have to get it fixed if it came to selling the car, so just left it

Had a more pressing problem with the steering column lock having to be replaced, paid a Volvo dealer to fit and program it, when I picked up the car to my surprise the radio and cd player was working again, I thought it must be something to do with the reprogramming but my joy was short lived as less than a week later the radio/cd player just stopped again

Has anyone any ideas as to what might be the problem, I have checked for loose connections but not had the amplifier out

When it first died, on a couple of occasions I noticed I got a crackly radio sound if it had rained heavily during the night, which I thought might indicate a poor earth, but where?
Paul Bearer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2022, 09:02   #2
FloydV70
2008 V70 SE Sport D

Hi,

The only reason why I am posting is because you mention the crackling after heavy rain.

I wonder if your Volvo is a victim of the windscreen bonding issue.

https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=239324

Water may be getting in at the top of your windscreen and running down the back of the dash. Over time, this can play havoc with electrics in the dash and the amp under the driver seat (UK Models. The amp is under the passenger seat on left hand drive cars).

Before spending any money on diagnostics, I would check for evidence of a leak. Push the windscreen at the top from the inside while looking at the outside. Does it move? Are the carpets in the front footwells damp? Can you see any leaks at the windscreen when going through a car wash?
Old May 19th, 2022, 11:40   #3
Rocinante
Master Member

Did you ask the dealer if they did anything to the radio at the time, or if they did anything that might have affected it ?

However unlikely, it does seem a bit of a coincidence, and perhaps worth a call even at this stage ?
Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2022, 11:47   #4
Tatsfield
Premier Member

If water entered the amp and caused short circuits that burned out components, I wouldn't expect the amp to heal itself. If water in the amp merely inhibited it working and then dried out, it might heal itself but since you have been powering the amp while it might have been wet, it would be more likely that the damage was not self healable. However, the clue may well be that when the steering column lock was replaced the mechanic had to disconnect or move the ignition switch cabling and then manipulating it might have moved a connection providing power to the amp. If your problem had been a poor connection or damaged cable, moving it might have re-established an electrical connection which subsequently failed due to vibration.

I had the same model cars, not Volvos, for 15 years and one of the faults which was often reported was that the power source for the radio/amp came from the ignition switch in order that the audio was turned off when the ignition was turned off but the radio display itself remained on and powered so that it would available immediately the ignition was turned on and the amp powered.

Based entirely on the evidence in your posting I would look at the power supply to the amp from the ignition switch. A dirty connector, a broken wire to the connector or a damaged cable from the connector would be what I would look for. On the Peugeot 406 Coupe this was not an uncommon fault and while Volvo may have better electrics than Peugeot, the nature of the symptoms does seem similar.
Old May 20th, 2022, 22:26   #5
Paul Bearer

Apologies for the late reply I appear to have not selected to get notifications (why doesn't it automatically subscribe you for your own posts?)

I will have to check tomorrow but have seen no evidence of wet entering the car, nor smell

But will check more thoroughly tomorrow

Thank you for the suggestion

Quote:
Originally Posted by FloydV70 View Post
Hi,

The only reason why I am posting is because you mention the crackling after heavy rain.

I wonder if your Volvo is a victim of the windscreen bonding issue.

https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=239324

Water may be getting in at the top of your windscreen and running down the back of the dash. Over time, this can play havoc with electrics in the dash and the amp under the driver seat (UK Models. The amp is under the passenger seat on left hand drive cars).

Before spending any money on diagnostics, I would check for evidence of a leak. Push the windscreen at the top from the inside while looking at the outside. Does it move? Are the carpets in the front footwells damp? Can you see any leaks at the windscreen when going through a car wash?
Old May 20th, 2022, 22:29   #6
Paul Bearer

Likewise apologies for the late reply I did not select to get notifications as I thought I had

As it happens I was very pleased when I found the radio working , so was going to send a thank you to the mechanic, who probably knew nothing about it, but before I had a chance to thank him it stopped working again

It smacks of a poor connection somewhere, I will look further tomorrow whilst checking for water ingress

Thanks for the suggestion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocinante View Post
Did you ask the dealer if they did anything to the radio at the time, or if they did anything that might have affected it ?

However unlikely, it does seem a bit of a coincidence, and perhaps worth a call even at this stage ?
The Following User Says Thank You to Paul Bearer For This Useful Post:
Old May 20th, 2022, 22:33   #7
Paul Bearer

Thank you for your reply

I agree it smacks of a poor connection somewhere, I had hoped there was a known problem with the V70 but will investigate further tomorrow

So far I have not noticed any damp anywhere in the vehicle and you usually get a tell tale damp smell in the car but have not noticed anything

I will check the amp and its connections first then move on to the column area, followed by the radio housing having watched a few youtube videos on getting into it

Volvo do like to make you work for it don't they ;-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tatsfield View Post
If water entered the amp and caused short circuits that burned out components, I wouldn't expect the amp to heal itself. If water in the amp merely inhibited it working and then dried out, it might heal itself but since you have been powering the amp while it might have been wet, it would be more likely that the damage was not self healable. However, the clue may well be that when the steering column lock was replaced the mechanic had to disconnect or move the ignition switch cabling and then manipulating it might have moved a connection providing power to the amp. If your problem had been a poor connection or damaged cable, moving it might have re-established an electrical connection which subsequently failed due to vibration.

I had the same model cars, not Volvos, for 15 years and one of the faults which was often reported was that the power source for the radio/amp came from the ignition switch in order that the audio was turned off when the ignition was turned off but the radio display itself remained on and powered so that it would available immediately the ignition was turned on and the amp powered.

Based entirely on the evidence in your posting I would look at the power supply to the amp from the ignition switch. A dirty connector, a broken wire to the connector or a damaged cable from the connector would be what I would look for. On the Peugeot 406 Coupe this was not an uncommon fault and while Volvo may have better electrics than Peugeot, the nature of the symptoms does seem similar.