Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > LPG, CNG & LNG - General Info and Issues
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

LPG, CNG & LNG - General Info and Issues Share experiences and problems

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Improve or move on?

Views : 1395

Replies : 9

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 8th, 2009, 16:35   #1
capt jack
VOC Member

Default Improve or move on?

My LPG-converted 97 V70 2.5 10V CD auto is fast approaching 180,000, and at my present 25k annually, will easily top the 200,000 mile mark by Christmas.

I've been running on LPG since around the 50k mark, and it's been a great success.

Thinking ahead a bit, I know I'm going to need a cambelt change and new front discs within the next few months, plus I got an advisory for the front shockers at the last MoT.

Added to this I've still got the original exhaust, steering rack, shocks, the original alternator, and the original autobox fluid. The car is running very well at the moment, but my expectation is that some or all of these items may need attention within the next 25,000 miles too.

Question is do I keep up to the car, even though it's getting on a bit, or do I think about a change? If I change it would only be for another V70 - probably a later old-shape classic, T, V or W -reg. Does anyone have any experience of taking the LPG conversion from one car and installing it another? Would it need to be the same engine, or would the LPG system work with a 20v too? Or would I be better looking for diesel car?

Thoughts and suggestions welcomed!

Cheers

Jack
capt jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9th, 2009, 21:44   #2
jrtonks
2001 V70 T5

You should be able to fit the current LPG system into a newer similar model car, but you'll need the software, interface & a laptop to remap it to the newer one. It would be a fairly difficult job without the wiring diagrams etc.

You might have problems with the gas delivery if you jump up to a more powerful model too. The system you have at the moment might not be up to the job.

The LPG systems themselves are fairly cheap - especially if you don't need a new tank. It's the installation you pay all the money for.

I've had three LPG cars now. A factory-fit Dualfuel MY03 Vectra, a Peugeot 406 aftermarket lpg & V70-T5 aftermarket lpg. The Vectra is the only one that's ever run properly 100% of the time. Maybe a Bi-fuel factory LPG Volvo is the way forward?
jrtonks is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jrtonks For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 9th, 2009, 22:15   #3
Baffler
Premier Member

If I was doing that kind of milage per year I would definitely go for a late '00 phase one V70 2.5D.....CD version of course Probably as rare as hens teeth and most will have lunar milage. Would you consider a 2.5D phase two V70? Always fancied one of those myself

As you can see I've gone over to the dark (oil burner) side and am impressed with the economy.

Best of luck with whatever you choose

'96 854 TDI SE, '99 V70 2.5D S, '05 C70 2.0T Collection, '05 S80 2.0T SE, '15 V70 D4 SE Lux Nav.

Last edited by Baffler; Mar 9th, 2009 at 22:58.
Baffler is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Baffler For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 9th, 2009, 22:45   #4
radebe2k

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baffler View Post
rear as hens teeth
or rocking horse sh*t
radebe2k is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to radebe2k For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 16th, 2009, 15:51   #5
Terminator
VOC Member

Ahoy Captain!

I would be inclined to soldier on as the items that need replacing, Cam belt, front shocks and front discs are relatively inexpensive. Front Shocks from ECP about £50 each for your model, front discs and pads about £100 all in from Rufe at FRF.

If it aint broke, dont fix it!

T.
Old Mar 16th, 2009, 21:01   #6
capt jack
VOC Member

Thanks for everyone's thoughts.

Had a look at a 54 plate V70SE today.

Hmmm.

Am I being a bit hypercritical, or does anyone else think that an early V70 (like my '97) is actually the better-built car?

I felt that the fit and finish and materials on the newer car are not such a high quality as my old bus, and I can't imagine this newer one I saw today still looking good at almost 200k and 12 years old!

Cheers

Jack
Old Mar 16th, 2009, 23:02   #7
Baffler
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by capt jack View Post
Am I being a bit hypercritical, or does anyone else think that an early V70 (like my '97) is actually the better-built car?

I felt that the fit and finish and materials on the newer car are not such a high quality as my old bus, and I can't imagine this newer one I saw today still looking good at almost 200k and 12 years old!
As a matter of fact I actually prefer the 850 over your '97 V70 but all owners (pre owners) of 850s will tell you the same. As with all makes and models when their successor arrives there is much dissapointment to be had. With the phase II V70 I think Volvo did a wonderful job with the exterior but I wasn't impressed with the interior...at all. From what I know the Premier Automotive Group, a subsidiary of the Ford Motor Company, had their Christmas party in Gothenburg and maybe too much bubbly made its way into the design department.

You seem to have made up your mind so there's not much point in trying to convince you to go for a phase II. Stick to what you know, as they say, and you won't go too far wrong. As in my earlier post try go for a late phase 1, a CD version if possible, and keep your current bus for spares.

Good luck...

'96 854 TDI SE, '99 V70 2.5D S, '05 C70 2.0T Collection, '05 S80 2.0T SE, '15 V70 D4 SE Lux Nav.
Baffler is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Baffler For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 18th, 2009, 14:53   #8
capt jack
VOC Member

Default Point taken

Baffler, I reckon you're right about the emotions stirred by newer versions of Volvo cars. Is it unique to Volvo owners do you reckon? Despite having owned a number of different Volvos over the years, I'd still swap any and all of them to be able to get back the first I ever had - an early 740.

The B230 engine that sounded like it really meant business, the glorious electric blue metallic paint, and the quirky but highly serviceable blue velour interior with the white pin-stripe in it - fantastic!

As a family we've now owned a dozen or so Volvos: 360, 244, 245, 740, 940, V70 and S70 models, and presently have the V70, and S70 and an 1800ES presently tucked away in the garage waiting for the sunshine to come back, so I've had my fair share of Volvo motoring.

All that said, I'm now thinking that the next might just be an LPG-converted S80.......!

Cheers

Jack
Old Jun 11th, 2009, 17:50   #9
Chris Smith

Quote:
Thanks for everyone's thoughts.

Had a look at a 54 plate V70SE today.

Hmmm.

Cheers

Jack
I have a '95 850 T5 and a 2000 V70 T5 and take it from me the 850 is a better car. It was built by Volvo not botched by Ford.

I have spent well over £3,000 on the V70 in less than 12 months and I'm now having a gearbox fitted £675 for the box plus the cost of fitting. That's cheaper than the £1,900 a recon company wanted to charge me.

The car has spent more time in the garage than on the road in that time, and the Volvo main agent it went to was so bad, I wouldn't trust them to put air in a tyre, I asked them to sort the car out for me, they gave it back to me with a printout saying "Alarm Service required. Engine Warning Light On" to name just two of the problems. What sort of company sends a car back to the owner with the engine warning light on? They even charged £1.45 to put water in the washer bottle and £9 to replace a number plate bulb. Main agents? They made cowboy builders look like professionals.

So yes the older Volvos are a better car.
Chris Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12th, 2009, 13:34   #10
davew

Quote:
All that said, I'm now thinking that the next might just be an LPG-converted S80.......!

Jack
Been down that route with a T6.

I can now beat the betters half’s 1.2 micra for fuel economy