Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Diesel Engines
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Diesel Engines A forum dedicated to diesel engines fitted to Volvo cars. See the first post in this forum for a list of the diesel engines.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Egr mix plenum cleaning D5 euro4 engines

Views : 6232

Replies : 6

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 8th, 2012, 14:02   #1
5cilinder
Premier Member

Default Egr mix plenum cleaning D5 euro4 engines

Ive seen several topics of EGR cleaning of d5 euro3 engines and none of euro4 engines.
The dismanteling of the plenum dont only looks more complicated it also is ! ;-)
Ive tried to take it out but was stopped because i couldnt access the cooler-bolt in the back and also the coolant hoses were extremely difficult to reach as the exhaust connection.
If slacken the bolts is that difficult/impossible then how to reassamble it?
Also splitting the cooler from the plenum is impossible due to the space behind the bolts.
I did come up with an alternitive method wich saved the time to removing the plenum.
Unforunatly i didnt made pictures because i became myself dirty enough

The euro4 engine has a throttle boddy connected to the plenum wich can be easily removed .
i cleaned that inside the house
I also observed that the degree of polution was way less as ive seen on the euro3 pictures/engines ,ii think that the lamda sonde and throttle body is to be creditted with that because excessive egr is avoided due to more precise airmass measurement
Also the swirlvalves increase the airspeed in the cillinder inletports wich more prevents "rainingdown" sootparticles
I had the valvecover removed some time ago and cleaning was not needed due to the minimum soot sediment

First i removed mechanicly a lot of the the soot/oil cake with wooden/plastic custom made tools to prevent scratching
So that the solvent would be the most effective in what was left in the plenum.

Then i took a latex glove and placed that over the throttle boby like a gasket
with also the inner part covered
i placed the throttle body back on the plenum with the bolts tightened
So that in fact one side of the plenum was blinded off

Then i removed the hard plastic tube between the inlet and valvecover
and placed it back reversed so that it looked like a "chimney"
Then i filled the chimney with a powerfull degreaser so that the inside of the plenum was submerged .

Its imperative that you use a powerfull degreaser because otherwise it wont work
I used dasty degreaser and i dont know if its availible in the uk
its imported from italy under a different name its only advertised mouth to mouth and is the best and cheapest degreaser i know , everybody who used it becomes addicted from ovens to engineparts the dirts just rinses off
while not as irritating as the burning chemicals wich are commonly used for ovens but wont do nearly as good as dasty

If you cant find this then use chain degreaser or garage solvents wich they use in submerged baths for engine parts

Anyway after 6 hours i took a small hose bottle and used gravity to take most of the fluid out
Then i pierced the latex glove for the last bit with a leak cannister beneath it

Sprayed some concetrated dasty back in and removed easily the rest sediment with an old toothbrush
made it dry with some old cloth and reassembled the throttle aircover etc

Important addition!
Remove the plastic cover of the egr actuator in case the piston of the egr valve leaks inside the actuator ,it wont fill up the electronics then
If its leaking then you should see oil inside, mine was clean and thus sealed but leave it off to be sure!
If the fluid leaks away but not vissible outside it will leak away in the egr cooler ,but when the engine is not running the egr valve is closed and should not be leaking or very minimal
Mine did not leak in that direction but minor leaks into the cooler cant do harm its being dried with a running engine

Last edited by 5cilinder; Jun 8th, 2012 at 14:16.
5cilinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25th, 2012, 08:17   #2
sbv

Have you got any pictures ?
sbv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25th, 2012, 09:01   #3
Thassos
GoldMember

Smile soot & more crud !

This was my cleanup on the throttle body/inlet, as you say the D5/185 Euro4 EGR system is more involved..

http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=136594
Thassos is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Thassos For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 25th, 2012, 19:42   #4
LJD
I've Been Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thassos View Post
This was my cleanup on the throttle body/inlet, as you say the D5/185 Euro4 EGR system is more involved..

http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=136594
where are these on a early (2002 )163

I love cleaning things !
LJD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25th, 2012, 21:23   #5
Thassos
GoldMember

Smile Here i think...

Hi LJD,

I dont think the earlier one has the electronic throttle module(ETM), so shuld be a lot easier to get apart, found a pic (attached), have seen some other posts here with similar build up of crud where the EGR pipe comes into the inlet..
Attached Images
File Type: jpg earlier_inlet.jpg (89.6 KB, 40 views)
Thassos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25th, 2012, 22:16   #6
LJD
I've Been Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thassos View Post
Hi LJD,

I dont think the earlier one has the electronic throttle module(ETM), so shuld be a lot easier to get apart, found a pic (attached), have seen some other posts here with similar build up of crud where the EGR pipe comes into the inlet..

Cheers
I have already cleaned the pipe you have pointed to. It was bad but cleaned up a treat

rather interested in this throttle body thingy magig mentioned
LJD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26th, 2012, 00:16   #7
5cilinder
Premier Member

There are no throttles on an eur3 engine
5cilinder is offline   Reply With Quote