Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

PHEV theft avoidance - advice needed - immobiliser tracker

Views : 1367

Replies : 20

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 18th, 2024, 17:11   #11
UratorI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
You should be talking to your dealer only about this very important and confidential info rather that talking about it on a public forum.... you need not worry it is not a Landrover . If your key Isn't the latest type it can be upgraded at a reasonable price.

If you want a theft and tracking device Automatrics are the best in the Business. they look after you if your car is stolen they travel to where it is and check it out and arrange to get it back to you.

https://www.trackersecurity.co.uk/au...cs-mtrack.html

They have many recovery missions shown on you tube, one of which is below.

https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...trics+recovery
Thank you for the information.

The reason why I'm discussing this in public is because it might help me and someone else looking for this information. I want to find a good reliable immobiliser that doesn't affect the functionality of the car in the long term.
If anyone has one fitted and doesn't want to say it publicly please feel free to send me a PM, as I won't disclose any information if this is a worry.

I will talk to Volvo about it, and see if they are comfortable with this. My priority is to wake up the next day, still have my car, and also avoid my insurance premium going higher in case of theft.

I checked the Automatrics videos and website (which looks a bit outdated) a few days ago, but they don't sell or have in stock any of their tracking devices... which is bizarre because they have updated videos with recoveries done recently, and seem to do a great job. But why do they keep advertising their product if there isn't any for sale?
https://www.trackersecurity.co.uk/au...odel-c12874021
Is there any other place to buy this tracker?
UratorI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18th, 2024, 17:49   #12
UratorI

After seeing a few more videos from Automatrics I wanted to add the fact that I would rather have an extra immobiliser vs only a tracker.

I'd prefer them not to take the car in the first place rather than have it tracked and given back to me half-stripped or with other damage done, which will add a claim and increase the insurance premium.

I found another tracking company that is in partnership with the police in case of theft and seems a bit more up-to-date if anyone is interested:

https://www.tracker.co.uk/how-tracke...ce-partnership
Old Jan 18th, 2024, 17:57   #13
Philip Fisher
Premier Member

@clan. I very very much doubt anything we know will not already be known by any multitude of car theft gangs.

I can't see anything here which is going to aid theft. Quite the opposite in fact.
Previously:-
1997 V70 T5 exPolice; 2005 V50 2.0D; 2013 XC70 D5
Philip Fisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18th, 2024, 18:40   #14
sk546
Master Member

I will always try and have some deterrents in place to try and stop any of my vehicles from being stolen but from personal experience, if they want something enough they will find a way to take it and as such I have 2 personal views I go with:
1. If someone wants one of my cars so much, I would prefer it was taken without having to be confronted by said thieves and being forced to hand over keys to them quite likely face to face. No insured car is worth that kind of agro.
2. If said thieves do take once of my cars, I don't want it back. As such, I would not want to install a tracker to improve the chances of having it back.

One of my previous cars (Audi RS6 Performance) had to have a tracker installed otherwise no insurance company would insure it, so in that case, I obviously installed one but if its not a requirement to get it installed I would not fit one.

Previous - MY20 XC60 T8 Polestar Engineered - Onyx Black - Sensus
sk546 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to sk546 For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 18th, 2024, 18:50   #15
UratorI

On the bright side after doing some more research into stolen Volvo cars in the UK, based on what I was able to find on the internet, social media, and other forums I can say that I haven't found a single case of a Volvo being stolen with a registration date over 2020 or any Polestar... ... hopefully I'm not proven wrong!
Does anyone know of any stolen Volvo registered after 2020?

Found this company that seems to be installing an immobiliser on a fairly new Volvo, and it seems to be in a Volvo dealership car park, so maybe they might have a partnership with them:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tr0Z...ImmobiliserFit

I will have to speak with my local Volvo dealer to make sure everything is done by the books and we all live happily ever after...
Old Jan 18th, 2024, 23:17   #16
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UratorI View Post
Thank you for the information.

The reason why I'm discussing this in public is because it might help me and someone else looking for this information. I want to find a good reliable immobiliser that doesn't affect the functionality of the car in the long term.
If anyone has one fitted and doesn't want to say it publicly please feel free to send me a PM, as I won't disclose any information if this is a worry.

I will talk to Volvo about it, and see if they are comfortable with this. My priority is to wake up the next day, still have my car, and also avoid my insurance premium going higher in case of theft.

I checked the Automatrics videos and website (which looks a bit outdated) a few days ago, but they don't sell or have in stock any of their tracking devices... which is bizarre because they have updated videos with recoveries done recently, and seem to do a great job. But why do they keep advertising their product if there isn't any for sale?
https://www.trackersecurity.co.uk/au...odel-c12874021
Is there any other place to buy this tracker?
I don't think they sell it as such , their reputation depends on it working so they have to fit it their way .
Old Jan 19th, 2024, 07:03   #17
MrM83

Quick word on Autowatch Ghost. Fantastic device, I had one installed on a previous car. It worked so well that I feared if someone actually wanted to take my car they would come knocking on the door…. Guess that’s a decision each individual needs to consider. They weren’t recognised by insurers at the time so it was a pure play on the car not being driven away.

More relevantly I asked the installer if he could install one in the XC90 and he said (at the time) that it wasn’t possible due to the nature of the Volvo electrical spine.. That may have changed now but 2 years ago was the case.
MrM83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19th, 2024, 07:44   #18
Automatic Only

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrM83 View Post
Quick word on Autowatch Ghost. Fantastic device, I had one installed on a previous car. It worked so well that I feared if someone actually wanted to take my car they would come knocking on the door…. Guess that’s a decision each individual needs to consider. They weren’t recognised by insurers at the time so it was a pure play on the car not being driven away.

More relevantly I asked the installer if he could install one in the XC90 and he said (at the time) that it wasn’t possible due to the nature of the Volvo electrical spine.. That may have changed now but 2 years ago was the case.
Again I can't say for sure that it won't have changed but a friend installed this on his RR Sport a while ago and the installer mentioned that they can't be fitted to Volvo's.
Old Jan 19th, 2024, 14:25   #19
UratorI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Automatic Only View Post
Again I can't say for sure that it won't have changed but a friend installed this on his RR Sport a while ago and the installer mentioned that they can't be fitted to Volvo's.
I know that the Ghost is the most common option which was recommended to me by a BMW dealership manager, but he wasn't specific on the model (petrol, diesel, hybrid, PHEV) and he specified that the warranty would be void. Most common cars with just petrol or diesel engines are a no-brainer, even hybrids from what I've found on a few forums regarding the Ghost, but I can't find many people who have it fitted on a PHEV.
I did find a few people who fitted this on their Outlander, and after 1 year they had no issues. The Outlander is a PHEV and has also remote functions... similar to Volvo, but not a Volvo.
I will try and call a few companies which offer these products and find out more about them, as they have more experience and should already know if they cause problems.
Old Jan 24th, 2024, 20:00   #20
DAN AT ADRIAN FLUX
Trader

Hi.
If it's of any help we recommend these. Maybe they can offer you some advice.
https://www.gapsecurity.co.uk/
Regards,
Dan.
DAN AT ADRIAN FLUX is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
immobiliser, immobilizer, phev, stolen, theft