Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > LPG, CNG & LNG - General Info and Issues
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

LPG, CNG & LNG - General Info and Issues Share experiences and problems

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

lpg conversion

Views : 4309

Replies : 31

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 22nd, 2009, 13:42   #11
davew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terminator View Post
56 litre tank fitted to my V70R AWD. Takes about 48 litres to fill and I get between 180 and 200 miles, including spirited driving.

It is important to change the spark plugs more regularly (every 10,000 miles) with lpg, as the condition of the plugs affects mpg.
I changed my plugs a couple of weeks ago, after 20,000 miles.

They were perectly clean, with just a hit of brown colour on the end.

I dont know if thats a good colour or not, but they were still running fine.

(NGK BTW) but replaced with Volvo genuine.
Old Apr 23rd, 2009, 09:22   #12
classicswede
Trader Volvo in my veins

LPG plugs dont idscouler like plugs with petrol. What happens is they start to breakdown due to the heat and strt to short causing missfiing. Initialy you will not notice it but before long the missfire will be very noticeable. LPG needs a much stronger spark than petrol to ignite.
classicswede is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to classicswede For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 29th, 2009, 14:43   #13
sublimecantona

hi
i filled in £30 (approx 60ltrs)gas and got just over 300miles
sublimecantona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2009, 16:10   #14
Rex79

Hello All,

I'm new to forum and the world of volvo's (preparing to buy my first) I'm hoping you can help me though, I'm considering buying an 02 S80 and might covert to LPG later in the year or early next year,

Are particular models better for conversion? I'm currently looking at the the 2.4 (170bhp), 2.9, and 2.9T6

Can you give any advice - currently looking to spend about 1500 on car,

Dave am particulrly interested to know how the T6 is running.

All advice appreciated with regards to the cars in general & the Lpg.

Thanks
Phil

Last edited by Rex79; May 8th, 2009 at 16:38.
Rex79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2009, 13:39   #15
capt jack
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rex79 View Post
Hello All,

I'm new to forum and the world of volvo's (preparing to buy my first) I'm hoping you can help me though, I'm considering buying an 02 S80 and might covert to LPG later in the year or early next year,

Are particular models better for conversion? I'm currently looking at the the 2.4 (170bhp), 2.9, and 2.9T6

Thanks
Phil
Good luck with the new car.

The 170bhp 2.4 engine has 5 cylinders of course, and so will cost less to convert than the 6-cylnder T6, and will be a bit more economical. Go for the biggest gas tank that will fit in the spare wheel well - at least 60 litres, bigger if it'll fit. Some say it's best to avoid turbo-charged cars, but take advice from an LPG expert.

If you're local-ish to North Yorks get the conversion done at Autogas 2000. They are the best in the business. Even if you're not local to North Yorks, consider getting them to do it anyway!

Be sure that the ££s add up. Conversion is around £250 per cylinder, and you'll save about 6 to 8 pence per mile on fuel. On this basis you get your money back in approx 25,000 miles, but you really need to be thinking about keeping the car for a lot more than that if you want to get the full benefit of the cheaper fuel. The Govt have pledged to maintain the duty on LPG at the present levels until at least 2011 - unless of course they change their minds!

To make real sense of gas you need to be thinking in terms of keeping the car for 75,000 miles plus, and at least 3 years ownership.

My 2.5 10v V70 was converted 130,000 odd miles ago, and has now done over 180,000 miles, and it has been absolutely brilliant. The only things I'd do differently another time would be to get a bigger gas tank, a 170 bhp engine, and a gas filler nozzle in the middle at the back, so that it didn't matter which side of the gas pump I parked at!

Cheers

Jack

Cheers

Jack
capt jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2009, 14:46   #16
classicswede
Trader Volvo in my veins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rex79 View Post
Hello All,

Thanks
Phil
Hi Phil,

the cost for conversion on the 5 or 6 cylinder car is basicaly the same. The T6 would be a tad more expensive to convert but only beacuse of the extra inatllation time due to the limited space for mounting the LPG system.

With a good system you will not notice any performance difference. As to the tank you are best going for the biggest one that will happily fit with out causing you any space issues.
Old May 9th, 2009, 15:11   #17
pjay
peewee

Default lpg

mine has a 60ltre in the boot and i regularly get around 250 mpg, i am on the tartarini single point system and i was lucky enough to buy the car ( 95 850 2ltre 20 valve) with the conversion already done to it, i have had this now for just over 15 months and apart from a service and having my injectors cleaned by jimathan, i have not had any trouble with the system, so i would highly recommend the lpg over petrol, i have just passed the 155,000 mark and she still runs very well..
pjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2009, 17:51   #18
capt jack
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by capt jack View Post

Be sure that the ££s add up. Conversion is around £250 per cylinder, and you'll save about 6 to 8 pence per mile on fuel.
Actually I meant £350 per cylinder!

Jack
capt jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2009, 23:40   #19
classicswede
Trader Volvo in my veins

To give a good idea on conversion costs with the modern multipoint injection systems,

4 cylinder cars typical work out between £1000 - £1200
5/6 cylinder cars are around £1300 - £1600
8 cylider cars between £1700 and £1900
10/12 and 16 cylinder conversions vary a lot due to tending to use multi tank installations etc.

The about prices are a good QUIDE to how much a conversion should cost for a good system.
Old May 27th, 2009, 08:18   #20
davew

Rex you have a PM..