Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > LPG, CNG & LNG - General Info and Issues
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

LPG, CNG & LNG - General Info and Issues Share experiences and problems

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Just a Thought/ To Convert to Lpg

Views : 1840

Replies : 13

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 21st, 2009, 22:04   #1
P3DRO

Smile Just a Thought/ To Convert to Lpg

Hello there

After reading this section on LPG i would like to ask you guys if you have any recomendations Should i convert my 1998 V70 2.5 20v turbo 94K to Lpg i do around 12k a year and i intend to keep this vehicle for as long as i can, What are the Pro's and Con's with this particular model being a turbo ? Your thoughts and opinions and experiences with this type of a car would be very much appreciated.....
Cheers.....
P3DRO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21st, 2009, 22:18   #2
TomW

I bought an N reg. 850 2.5 20v back in 1999 and had it converted. Not sure if she had a turbo though. I did 100k trouble free miles with it but towards the end it was stalling at roundabouts etc. Had it looked at by various people but they couldnt sort it so got rid of her and bought a s/h factory fitted v70 bifuel 02 model and no problems at 80k.
TomW is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TomW For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 21st, 2009, 22:34   #3
alexx

I personally wouldnt what milage do you get at the mo?
alexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21st, 2009, 23:25   #4
classicswede
Trader Volvo in my veins

Quote:
Originally Posted by P3DRO View Post
Hello there

After reading this section on LPG i would like to ask you guys if you have any recomendations Should i convert my 1998 V70 2.5 20v turbo 94K to Lpg i do around 12k a year and i intend to keep this vehicle for as long as i can, What are the Pro's and Con's with this particular model being a turbo ? Your thoughts and opinions and experiences with this type of a car would be very much appreciated.....
Cheers.....

To convert or not to convert you need to work out if it going to save in money in the long run. You need to allow for using about 10% more lpg compared to petrol on these.

The engine is good for LPG and should run great on gas provided a good system is used and well installed.
classicswede is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to classicswede For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 23rd, 2009, 21:24   #5
capt jack
VOC Member

I'm a firm fan of LPG - if you do a biggish mileage. The LPG conversion will cost you around £1700. My V70 2.5 10v does 25mpg on gas and 28mpg on petrol. I calculate LPG costs 9p per mile, petrol costs 15p per mile, saving 6p per mile. At that rate it will take you 28,000 miles to get your money back.

If you plan to keep the car for say 60,000 miles you'll have saved yourself £2000 at the end of 5 years at 12,000 miles a year.

My car has now done 130,000 on LPG, 180,000 in total, and is running really well. At the time I got it converted LPG was 29p a litre, and petrol around 80p. As I was doing 25,000 a year, I recovered my outlay in about 10 months.

As this car you're considering is a turbo, you need to take advice from an LPG expert as to the need for a flash-lube system. The advice I got from the one LPG techy I'd really trust was that LPG in a turbo car isn't such a good idea.

IMHO you're at the margins of what is worth doing, but over the past 12 months the price of LPG has crept up faster than petrol, and my feeling is that the price advantage is being lost. If you were doing 20k per year or more it would be worth it, but at your mileage possibly not.

Cheers

Jack

Last edited by capt jack; Apr 23rd, 2009 at 21:27.
capt jack is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to capt jack For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 23rd, 2009, 21:54   #6
classicswede
Trader Volvo in my veins

The early 5 pot turbo engine has absoulutly no problems with being converted to LPG. It is only the engines after the ford take over where there are issues.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to classicswede For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 24th, 2009, 02:25   #7
P3DRO

Default Mileage

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexx View Post
I personally wouldnt what milage do you get at the mo?
I currently get around 20 to 25 miles on Petrol
Old Apr 24th, 2009, 02:31   #8
P3DRO

Smile Sound Advice Like always Many Thanks

Thanks for the sound advice you gave greatly appreciated !

Quote:
Originally Posted by capt jack View Post
I'm a firm fan of LPG - if you do a biggish mileage. The LPG conversion will cost you around £1700. My V70 2.5 10v does 25mpg on gas and 28mpg on petrol. I calculate LPG costs 9p per mile, petrol costs 15p per mile, saving 6p per mile. At that rate it will take you 28,000 miles to get your money back.

If you plan to keep the car for say 60,000 miles you'll have saved yourself £2000 at the end of 5 years at 12,000 miles a year.

My car has now done 130,000 on LPG, 180,000 in total, and is running really well. At the time I got it converted LPG was 29p a litre, and petrol around 80p. As I was doing 25,000 a year, I recovered my outlay in about 10 months.

As this car you're considering is a turbo, you need to take advice from an LPG expert as to the need for a flash-lube system. The advice I got from the one LPG techy I'd really trust was that LPG in a turbo car isn't such a good idea.

IMHO you're at the margins of what is worth doing, but over the past 12 months the price of LPG has crept up faster than petrol, and my feeling is that the price advantage is being lost. If you were doing 20k per year or more it would be worth it, but at your mileage possibly not.

Cheers

Jack
Old Apr 24th, 2009, 09:51   #9
Mike B
VOC Member 4911

Default Lpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by capt jack View Post
I'm a firm fan of LPG

Cheers

Jack
Where do you buy your LPG as my area the gas has remained about the same , and last 2p petrol rise , the lpg never went up.
I pay 49p t the Shell Garage although its as much as 60p at one garage in the
West country , but petrol at the same location was 99.99p
good job it wasent a pound LOL.
I find its about 40p cheaper than petrol at the same garage , sometimes a bit less.
I`m a 45+ year LPG user so I think I will stick to it.
Regards
Mike B
Mike B is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mike B For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 24th, 2009, 20:15   #10
classicswede
Trader Volvo in my veins

Hi Mike,

also the boat in my area regarding prices.

The local gas yard is now at 47p and the expesive local filling station is now at 51.9
The Following User Says Thank You to classicswede For This Useful Post: