Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > LPG, CNG & LNG - General Info and Issues
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

LPG, CNG & LNG - General Info and Issues Share experiences and problems

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

bi-fuel and cornering

Views : 1500

Replies : 9

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 1st, 2009, 09:51   #1
MrP

Default bi-fuel and cornering

please only reply to this if you have a factory bi-fuel, i dont want to know about 3rd party installs.

i have been chasing a problem with my bi-fuel for sometime now, what happens is that i get a bad flat spot (possibly fuel starvation) when trying to accelerate.

what i have noticed is that it tends to be worse after i have gone around a corner or roundabout carrying a bit of speed.

it shows as anything from a slight flat spot (hardly noticeable) to a bad flat spot (usually around 4000 rpm, all the way to the engine being starved and you actually slowing down before the cor sorts itself and runs correctly.

so do any other bi-fuel owners have a similar problem?
MrP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2009, 16:14   #2
Bhowani 2
Bhowani

Default Tight Corners

Sorry, no such hairy experiences here, and the Dales have a few corners. Obviously a fuel/feed (?) problem but as I haven't experienced it....

Bhowani
V70 S Auto FF LPG
Bhowani 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2009, 11:08   #3
capt jack
VOC Member

LPG tanks are unbaffled, so when you go round a corner the fuel sloshes about. Combine this with a filter that needs changing and you've got a problem.

That's how it is with conversions anyway. Possibly there is something to learn from the aftermarket crew........?

Jack
capt jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2009, 13:26   #4
MrP

jack, possibly, but what i want to find out first is if this is a specific problem to my car, or of its something thats a wider problem, but my style of driving makes the problem more noticeable.

what i didnt want was a thread full of people with aftermarket conversions saying they dont have a problem
Old May 9th, 2009, 22:13   #5
Bry_fuel

The stepper motor problem did manifest itself occasionally as partial fuel starvation, lumpy / flat before switching off totally later.

Never had that problem before the stepper motor started playing up; and it's not done anything like that since I changed it.

My stepper motor problem never cured itself unless the engine was turned off for a while?!

May be your vapouriser is playing up? Perhaps there's not enough water in the system or there's an airlock in it?

This site has some comprehensive details about fixing vapourisers.

http://www.verdampere.nl/index_e.html
Bry_fuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2009, 17:03   #6
landie57

Have to say never experienced a lack of power that could be related to cornering. However, I have experienced, all too often, a lack of power when accelerating to the extent that the only way to keep the engine running is to switch to petrol, if the car has not already done so for itself. This is a sign the gas distributor is giving problems and will need changing. My V70 is booked in next week for the dealer to have a look. If it is the distributor again, I am seriously considering asking if they will swap my bi-fuel V70 for a similar age and mileage diesel V70 as I consider the bi-fuel system is not fit for purpose.
landie57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2009, 21:35   #7
Bigcheese1

Sorry to see you're still having problems Mr P.

As I mentioned in a previous thread I also own a factory Bifuel and have encountered identical symptoms. Roundabouts were a particular nightmare and I had to learn the art of quickly flicking over to petrol to prevent the car grinding to a halt at the exit. When it was at it's worst any change in momentum could bring the problem on, whether it was a slight change in gradient, a sidewind on a motorway, the gentlest of turns or braking.
When pulling out from junctions I always had to switch to petrol just in case the car decided to conk out. Another danger I discovered a few times under braking is that if the engine actually cuts out it is practicly impossible to steer without any servo assistance!

The problems on my car seem to have cleared up on their own and I'm afraid I'm still totally mystified as to what causes the problem.
Bigcheese1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16th, 2009, 11:36   #8
MrP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigcheese1 View Post
Sorry to see you're still having problems Mr P.

As I mentioned in a previous thread I also own a factory Bifuel and have encountered identical symptoms. Roundabouts were a particular nightmare and I had to learn the art of quickly flicking over to petrol to prevent the car grinding to a halt at the exit. When it was at it's worst any change in momentum could bring the problem on, whether it was a slight change in gradient, a sidewind on a motorway, the gentlest of turns or braking.
When pulling out from junctions I always had to switch to petrol just in case the car decided to conk out. Another danger I discovered a few times under braking is that if the engine actually cuts out it is practicly impossible to steer without any servo assistance!

The problems on my car seem to have cleared up on their own and I'm afraid I'm still totally mystified as to what causes the problem.
in one way i'm glad my problems arnt as bad yours mr cheese

i have had the distributor replaced, before and autogas 2000 changed it again, as well as the vaporisor to try and sort the problem, but it seemed unaffected, so they put my originals back on.

i'm wondering with mine if its worth changing the tank and the 80% valve to see if that corrects (or helps) with the problem.

i'd happily change the car to be honest, but i cant sell it privately with a clear conscience without detailing the problems, and i dont think i'll get a decent price part-ex

anyone know what a new tank costs?!
Old Jun 17th, 2009, 08:32   #9
Mike B
VOC Member 4911

Default Lpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrP View Post
in one way i'm glad my problems arnt as bad yours mr cheese
i'm wondering with mine if its worth changing the tank and the 80% valve to see if that corrects (or helps) with the problem.

anyone know what a new tank costs?!
Im wondering if the pickup hoses in the tank are at the trouble, if the pickup is too high or not firm enough the pipe could sway out of the fuel ,as this is the only way the fuel could act in this was.
Regards
Mike B
Mike B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17th, 2009, 19:42   #10
MrP

mike,

well i have always described the problem as feeling like it was flat spot or being starved of fuel.

i dunno about the pickup pipes, but the tank looks just like a standard propane tank from what i have seen.

you may have it, were talking about LPG (liquid) if the pickup is in the bottom of the "tank" (which would be of the passenger side of the car) then if the problem mainly occours going around a left hand bend (forcing the gas to to the right of the tank where the filler is) then it would definatly say that its moving away from the pickup inside the tank, which would be causing fuel starvation.

how a new tank would fix this i dont know, but that paragraph above makes sense to me, does it to you?

Last edited by MrP; Jun 17th, 2009 at 19:45.