Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > LPG, CNG & LNG - General Info and Issues
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

LPG, CNG & LNG - General Info and Issues Share experiences and problems

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Filler nozzle - problem with different kinds

Views : 1219

Replies : 6

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 13th, 2009, 08:34   #1
Clifford Pope
Not an expert but ...

Default Filler nozzle - problem with different kinds

I'm new to LPG, and so far have only refilled at my local garage, which I found a bit fiddly but I have got the hang of it. It is the kind where you press the nozzle in against the spring about 1/4", turn the whole gun through about 1/8 turn clockwise, then pull back a large double lever looking a bit like a fireman's hose.

Yesterday for the first time I encountered a different kind. It had a loose sleeve on the end of the barrel, and a conventional looking trigger with a catch to hold it closed.
After struggling for several minutes a fellow LPG-er tried to show me how to use it. He just pushed the nozzle into engagement, twisted the sleeve clockwise, then pulled the trigger. There was a puff of gas, he commented that it seemed a bit loose, and indeed it failed to fill. There was no one inside to advise, so I gave up and drove on.
The next station had the same kind. Again it wouldn't work. This time I got the assistant to advise, but she couldn't make it work either.
Again I had to drive away.

At the 3rd station it was the kind I was familiar with, and it locked on and filled with no trouble.

What is going on here? Are there really 2 different standard UK fittings in use, randomly, and I need an adaptor? Can there be something wrong with my fitting which allows it work on one but not the other? Or is there some trick that both the other driver and the pump attendant missed?
Clifford Pope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13th, 2009, 13:36   #2
capt jack
VOC Member

AFAIK there is only one standard UK lpg filler fitting, but there are a variety of filler 'guns'. Some have a lever to rotate and lock the filler barrel, some have the rotating barrel only. They are supposedly universal.

In 150,000 lpg miles I've never seen any other fitting here, although in France etc it is different (better?).

As you struggled in two different filling stations I reckon it'd be sensible to pop back to the fitter and get them to check that the car fitting is OK. It could be that by coincidence, both places you tried unsuccessfully had run out of gas, or possible had another techie problems. LPG filler nozzles are all designed to fail safe, so if it isn't 100% right it won't work.

One thing is for certain, you shouldn't need an adaptor in the UK - always assuming your conversion was done here!

Cheers

Jack
capt jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13th, 2009, 15:22   #3
Clifford Pope
Not an expert but ...

The car was converted by a previous owner 6 years ago in Holland (same fitting as UK?) and has apparently been running satisfactorily here in the UK since. I'm reassured to know there is only one connector kind here.

I've looked carefully at the slots and lugs, and they look in good condition, not apparently worn. I've read a thread with a similar question on another forum (can't remember where - I just found the answer with a Google search) and it seems this system (Gun guard) is known to be trickier than the De Visser (as I've just discovered they are called).

It must be me then - I'll have another go.
Old Jul 13th, 2009, 18:39   #4
GavinC
GavinC

Clifford... I concur entirely with capt jack. I remember similar frustration to yours when I first experienced LPG in 2002. In UK I've come across just the 2 types of mechanism - in my experience you don't need an adaptor for your car... I find that the filler hose with a trigger, catch and sleeve that you have to twist 'on' is somewhat vague. It just takes a bit of a fiddle to get it the first time... you'll have the hang of it after that. That's why I made sure my wife - who often uses the car - got some practice before having to fill it by herself. It's a doddle for both of us, now.
GavinC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13th, 2009, 20:58   #5
Clifford Pope
Not an expert but ...

Thanks both for those reasuring words. I thought I was getting the hang of LPG, and said airily to my wife that she should watch carefully so she learned what to do. Cue for a lot of huffing and cursing interspersed with loud puffs of gas, embarrasment, and impatient drivers whose access to the real fuel pumps I was blocking. I quickly retired in ignominy muttering that it must be something wrong with the pump nozzle.

The whole business seems like a kind of rite of passage. The very first time at the (easier) pump the button didn't seem to do anything. The instructions stressed the importance of zeroing the dial before fuelling, but didn't say how.
So the long lonely walk to the pay desk to ask how it worked, and walk back to try again. Now I know it's just like an Italian in a traffic jam - hand on the horn until something happens.
Old Jul 13th, 2009, 21:58   #6
capt jack
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clifford Pope View Post
The instructions stressed the importance of zeroing the dial before fuelling, but didn't say how.
Sounds like one of the completely manual pumps you sometimes find at LPG fitters and farm shops etc. There is no automatic connection to the sales booth, and I've seen a variety of crude (dangerous?) homemade gizmos for holding the delivery button etc.

Some Calor depots dispense LPG like this.

Check out the LPGA website for lists of LPG filling stations - you'll soon get to know the ones you can trust to have stocks and not be greedy on price!

Some Morrisons, Asda and Sainsburys sell it, as do many Shell outlets. Some Jet and Total stations have it too. BP also sell LPG but they are ALWAYS way more expensive than anyone else, so are best used only if urgently needed - they will still be cheaper than petrol!

If you travel widely you can get a glovebox directory of all filling stations - around £6 from a garage selling LPG, or by mail order from the LPGA. If you're a techno-freak I think it's possible to downpod a blogcast for your sagalite nagivation - but in saying that I've told you just about all I know of such things!

Cheers

Jack
capt jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13th, 2009, 22:25   #7
GavinC
GavinC

Clifford... "The very first time at the (easier) pump the button didn't seem to do anything. The instructions stressed the importance of zeroing the dial before fuelling, but didn't say how. So the long lonely walk to the pay desk to ask how it worked, and walk back to try again."

I've been there, done that, too. Twice as often as you've reported! I like your 'rite of passage' remark. Almost humiliating, eh - I know the feeling! Second time, I learnt to laugh at it - what a Gas!

Becomes a doddle - and it's well worth it. Just make sure that whoever else drives your car can do it for themselves if they ever need...
GavinC is offline   Reply With Quote