Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Volvo S60 premium sound system

Views : 17590

Replies : 53

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 30th, 2012, 19:09   #41
LJD
I've Been Banned

My plan will be to get a Ipod link up to the head unit on my V70 D5. I only use APple lossless files to keep the quality

If i have the smaller of the 2 amps I can either buy the bigger one S/H or fit one i have (better quality)
then take the door handles off and swap the speakers for some New "Morels"
I have . Need to locate the crossovers as they will not be great quality compared to the Morel ones.
Then swap the centre speaker over for a better version. If the original speaker wires are ok? it will save me re wiring . The Morels need a good 100 watts to get them going and keep them under control . I might play with the door speaker mountings to get them more rigid and add some more "damping to the doors.

I dont want top play around adding a sub etc . Those days are over

If anyone is near London and is interested in doing a V70 d5 install , i would be interested in adding my opinion and knowledge

Its Volvos i know nothing about ! But ICE is a serious hobby of mine for years
LJD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9th, 2012, 14:20   #42
Boardwalker

Default Sound System Repairs

I have a 1999 S-70T with a sound system that needs service. From your experiences, would you recommend the local dealership for service or take it to an independent shop. Rather than replace it, I'd prefer to just have it repaired if possible. I'm in the northern Virginia/DC area. Do dealerships have qualified sound techs on staff?
Boardwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9th, 2012, 16:24   #43
LJD
I've Been Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boardwalker View Post
I have a 1999 S-70T with a sound system that needs service. From your experiences, would you recommend the local dealership for service or take it to an independent shop. Rather than replace it, I'd prefer to just have it repaired if possible. I'm in the northern Virginia/DC area. Do dealerships have qualified sound techs on staff?

If its a volvo system
i would be tempted to post up all the faults on this and any US Volvo forums

You might find some issues easy to fix?
Old Apr 9th, 2012, 16:35   #44
Rawas
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boardwalker View Post
Is your unit an SC901 Premium sound? if so, do not replace it because they are very very good.
Yes, all Volvo dealers should be able to repair it in house or they usually send the audio units out to technicians they are associated with. What I think you should do is to try the independent shop first if it's trustworthy. Dealers cost you definitely more.
Regards
Rawas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9th, 2012, 16:42   #45
Boardwalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rawas View Post
Is your unit an SC901 Premium sound? if so, do not replace it because they are very very good.
Yes, all Volvo dealers should be able to repair it in house or they usually send the audio units out to technicians they are associated with. What I think you should do is to try the independent shop first if it's trustworthy. Dealers cost you definitely more.
Regards
Yes, it's an SC901 Premium and I agree, it's a nice-sounding system to me. Thanks, I will try to find a local indy sound shop first and the dealer as a last resort.
Boardwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9th, 2012, 18:24   #46
LJD
I've Been Banned

still might be worth posting up the issues

Going to hurt if you find out it was a simple issue

I have heard of people paying for new amps and speakers due to not knowing how to use their head unit !!
Old Mar 31st, 2013, 17:10   #47
semiretired

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by RS LOZWORTH View Post
Ive orderd my new volvo s60 with this sound system....

Premium multimedia sound system with dolby prologicII surround and radio/DVD. 5x130w amp/ 12 speakers and bluetooth with USB

Has anyone been in a car with this in?

Im expecting something amazing!

Lucky you! I recently changed to S60 and should have been more thoughtful about audio system - no USB. Anyone know what approximate cost would be to have USB added so I can play MP3s?
Before I take it to Volvo in Stockton!!
Cheers,
SR
semiretired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1st, 2013, 03:27   #48
rogerb
Lets take it to bits

An old thread ,but the below may help some one.
On my present car a 2010 V70 I have the Dynadio and volvo sub (5*130w+ 2*130w sub).
But I think that the system on my old 2003 V70 , premium and sub (the top version) sounded better . The base on the newer car sounds a bit one note ish , if you know what I mean.
Also the car would not play apple lossless via the USB from a stick. I don't have a iPod to try, and I don't want to have to keep plugging in my iPhone in to the USB so have not tried it with apple lossless either.
I think volvo did an iPod interface and lead ,but have only ever seen one and it had the old apple plug on it , not the newer lighting connector .

Regards Roger
rogerb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1st, 2013, 09:17   #49
LJD
I've Been Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerb View Post
An old thread ,but the below may help some one.
On my present car a 2010 V70 I have the Dynadio and volvo sub (5*130w+ 2*130w sub).
But I think that the system on my old 2003 V70 , premium and sub (the top version) sounded better . The base on the newer car sounds a bit one note ish , if you know what I mean.
Also the car would not play apple lossless via the USB from a stick. I don't have a iPod to try, and I don't want to have to keep plugging in my iPhone in to the USB so have not tried it with apple lossless either.
I think volvo did an iPod interface and lead ,but have only ever seen one and it had the old apple plug on it , not the newer lighting connector .

Regards Roger

I believe the early cars where a lot better .My sister had a 2011 with the full system and it was nothing special at all

wonder if they are just acting as consultants and allowing the brand name to be used . Aston Martin and jaguar do this a lot
I laugh when people say their speakers in a Aston are "LInn' !!!!!!!
Old Apr 1st, 2013, 22:03   #50
volvorocks
Rodney

Quote:
Originally Posted by LJD View Post
I believe the early cars where a lot better .My sister had a 2011 with the full system and it was nothing special at all

The old Dynaudio was much much better. The latest Volvo Premium sound is not that good at all. Its certainly not worth the extra payment. However it IS better than the standard offering. Speakers are 'pants'.The latest offering is marketing over quality. I know good music - and Premium Sound is NOT good audio. It should be standard, with MUCH better offered as an £800 upgrade option

Many people will disagree with me, although that may be because they have not actually heard properly good sound reproduction?

Regards
volvorocks is offline   Reply With Quote