Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 400 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

400 Series General Forum for the Volvo 440, 460 and 480 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

no heater fan

Views : 2910

Replies : 9

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 29th, 2006, 21:41   #1
clickclick

having just puchased my first volvo 460 1993 iwould be most grateful if you could tell me of anything to check apart from the fuse as to why the heater blower is not working , and possibly how easy it is to replace.thanks in advance
clickclick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30th, 2006, 01:25   #2
CTCNetwork
Forum Support Team

Hi,

Is it a case of no air being blown at all?
In which case the fam may well be dead - or the fan bearing.
Should be under the dash within the pipework somewhere..

Or do you get air blown - but all cold?
Heater matrix faulty perhaps?

Des. . .
People should not be afraid of their governments.
"He'll deliver more justice in a weekend than 10 years of your
Governments should be afraid of their people... "V"
courts & tribunals. Just stay out of his way." "I plan to."
CTCNetwork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30th, 2006, 09:33   #3
bob13

The fan is located under the bonnet on the passenger side by the windscreen under a plastic cover. If the fan is working but only on full then the speed controling resistors have blown

Last edited by bob13; Nov 30th, 2006 at 09:38.
bob13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30th, 2006, 20:30   #4
clickclick

many thaks for your reply.wondered if there were any resistors involved as there is no at fan all presume a replacement is neededn
Old Dec 1st, 2006, 13:24   #5
Hobblygoblin

Hi,

Have you checked that the wires are connected to the back of the control switch and that the switch works?

Just a thought...
Hobblygoblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1st, 2006, 19:31   #6
Ambiesda

"having just puchased my first volvo 460 1993 iwould be most grateful if you could tell me of anything to check apart from the fuse as to why the heater blower is not working , and possibly how easy it is to replace.thanks in advance"

If it is anything like my 1990 440, then the fan unit is behind the glove compartment at the passenger side of the car. (Inside, that is)
I had to replace my one.
Remove the glove box. (A couple of screws plus light cable, unclip the spade end connectors)
Pull down the carpet slightly, (in the passenger side foot well).
If I can remember sizes correctly, undo the 4 or 5 m8 or m10 set screws.
Unplug the wiring.
The fan housing comes out totally seperate from the pipework. (No need to touch the pipework at all)
The speed controller (resistor) is also visible.
Very easy to do and replace. (Used a newer one from a local scrappie, worked perfectly)

Regards

Malky
Ambiesda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3rd, 2006, 19:18   #7
clickclick

Quote:
Originally Posted by clickclick View Post
having just puchased my first volvo 460 1993 iwould be most grateful if you could tell me of anything to check apart from the fuse as to why the heater blower is not working , and possibly how easy it is to replace.thanks in advance
have now confirmed fan works switch is working so is there a relay in the circuit hiden some where.,between fuse and switch.thanks to all helpers
Old Dec 7th, 2006, 20:13   #8
clickclick

after a bit of detective work have isolated the cause.the a.c. heating module is not swiching power to the fan so intend to bypass it.hope this might help anybody else who might have similar problem.
Old Dec 8th, 2006, 09:39   #9
bob13

A.c. prob, that would have put a toltally different slant on solving the problem. I think the legs on the relay you need to by pass are 75 to 88b but check first. Hope this helps.

Last edited by bob13; Dec 8th, 2006 at 09:50.
bob13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25th, 2007, 17:00   #10
viggy

Arrow

I had the same problem and I fixed it yesterday. Here is what happened:

I bought my 460 (1993) with the heating broken. 1st problem was the clogged heating radiator so I had it replaced. I had problems with the cabin fan too and it was driving me mad so I had the control unit replaced too (the button versions). After a year it failed. Intermittent failure led me to think it was a bad contact, a bad wire or both. Finnaly it stopped working altogather and that really ****ed me off.

I started diagnosing the problem and I noticed that if I press the ACmax button the fan magically springs to life. After looking for a schematic I found that this button activates a rellay that bypasses the fan switch. I removed part of the dash board, but before that I checked if there is some power going to the switch when I press ACmax (it abviously did) and what happens if I press the VENT button. No voltage got to the fan. I found a safe way to get 12V and delivered power to the switch and the fan worked as intended. Speeds, turn off and all. So the fan was ok, the resistor network wich governs the speed of the fan was ok, only problem was there was no power delivered to the fan except for the ACmax setting.

I took out the control module and dissasembled it. Inside there is a diode array, 3 relays and an integrated circuit (yes, a chip) marked as ULN2004A. I found the datasheet and it is a 7 transistor (a transistor is silicon [silicon as metal] based electric switch) power switch. I hoped it is ok and it turned out it was. The contol unit has two sets of connectors. Small pin and large fast-on pins. The faston pin are the ones used for power delivery and have the hefty wires running to it (and to the fan and to the resistor array). I traced the small pins and found which ones deliver power to the circuit board (small pins viewed from behind: leftmost is GROUND, the third from the right is +12V).

I powered the circuit and found that the relay intended to switch over are operating correctly, so from here on it was a power delivery problem. I measured and the voltage never appeared on the big fast-on pins as the relay correctly switched on.

Now you should know, that the relay carry a lot of current and are made of copper, which is a good conductor. Side effect is that they are heavy and vibrating them in a car (engine vibrations, going over bumps) excerts a certain force at the pcb. A pcb is short for printed circuit board, vhich is a nice way to wire up a thing. It is composed as a sandwich. Base is called raisin and is usually brown and it stinks of electronics and on top of that there is a thin foil (about 150 micrometers, remember copper is a good conductor) which is segmented into flat "wires and are usually covered with green lacquer acting as an insulator. This copper wires are actually glued quite firmly to the resin and the force, the temperature effects (stretching and contracting the materials) can cause them to break. Now this is a very subtle mechanical fault which one is able to spot only if one already saw it before. Where the relay contact landed into the pcb the copper foil broke and interrupted current flow making it impossible to reach the fast-on pin and thus failing to deliver power to the ventilator. I bridged the failed copper wire with a suitable thick little wire and the unit is now fully functional.

A very lenghty post, I know, but it is imperative to understand the mechanism to trace such an error, which is very common in units containing power (and thus heavy components). A similar error, called cold weld is very common in low power electronics, but thats another story.

I have several volvo repair manuals in german, but they are rather big to upload. Found via P2P.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 3_39__09.jpg (201.4 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg 3_39__64.jpg (222.7 KB, 10 views)

Last edited by viggy; Nov 25th, 2007 at 17:11.
viggy is offline   Reply With Quote