Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General > 850/x70 S1 Articles

Notices

850/x70 S1 Articles How to's and step by step guides on a specific repair or modification to a Volvo 850/70 car.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

How To Repair 850 Blower Motor Speeds (Resistor)

Views : 15330

Replies : 0

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 17th, 2009, 17:42   #1
Blue 8
Premier Member

Post How To Repair 850 Blower Motor Speeds (Resistor)

HEATER CONTROL PANEL 1234
Not climate control

A Lot of time the heater blower fan speeds stop working only leaving you with speed 4, the reason for this is 9 out of 10 time due to the blower motor resistor

The resistor in the 850 and possible others i don't know ? has a part called a thermal fuse ( Microtemp Y4A16 ) with a blow point of 216 degrees Celsius, this is in place so as to protect the resistor its self, and often blows leaving you with only setting 4

Below i will explain how 2 repair your resistor so you can have all your settings working again:

First thing you need to do is locate the resistor, the easiest way i found to get to it is as follows
first you need to remove to lower section from below your glove box, this is held in place by 3 T25 screws:

Once you have removed these screws tug the panel from the left and it will drop down, (move this out the way now)

Now you should see this:

The resistor is the black item right in front of you with the white sticker on it

Now there is a T15 screw that holds this in place, do not be to worried about moving the wire`s out of the way to get at it:

Now you have undone that screw gently pull the resistor out from its housing and disconnect the wiring plug;

You will now see the fused link running along side the coils, this needs to be cut out in order to replace it with the new Link which can be purchased from here

Now you will need a to crimp the new link in place,

I held mine with a few strand of copper wire just so as it would not move, once done refit , (reversal of the above) and you should now have all your speeds working once again

Disclaimer: if you choose to follow the above information please remember you do so at your own risk i will not be held responsible for any problems that may occur as a result
if after reading this there is anything your unsure of please send my a PM and i`ll do my best to explain
Cheers
Andy

Ruby-red pearl 854 GLT 2.5 20v 62k.....Andy

Last edited by Blue 8; Jun 17th, 2009 at 17:50.
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Blue 8 For This Useful Post: