Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Stratstone Volvo - closing two more dealerships

Views : 3858

Replies : 19

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 7th, 2010, 11:02   #11
AB-UK
Premier Member

Most of the staff from Stratstones will be transferring to Marshalls which has been given the franchise for Nottingham.

One of the difficulties is that the same company own so many franchises - Stratstones own something like 170 franchises for a variety of marques. Some of these operate under different names, but they are still owned by the same company (as I was informed by someone in the company a couple of weeks ago).

Other companies, such as Marshalls for example, also own many franchises (I belive they own around 60 at the moment but are looking to expand)

When a few companies each own so many dealerships, competition goes out of the window, and it's something I thought the government were against.

There again, given that so much government revenue is derived from car sales and the VAT on servicing etc., it's in the government's interests to keep prices as high as possible.

Do I sound too cynical?
AB-UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7th, 2010, 12:16   #12
catch22
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobdabuilda View Post
That's nothing, Shatstones in Cardiff actually had a 4 year old gibbon in a suit acting as a salesman when I went in there to buy an XC90. Not only was he still using zit cream to no effect but he had half a pot of brylcreem on his stupid prepubescent noggin and spoke like a street gangsta. Needless to say I went elsewhere.
excellent
Old Apr 7th, 2010, 15:18   #13
Teejay1
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AB-UK View Post
Most of the staff from Stratstones will be transferring to Marshalls which has been given the franchise for Nottingham.

One of the difficulties is that the same company own so many franchises - Stratstones own something like 170 franchises for a variety of marques. Some of these operate under different names, but they are still owned by the same company (as I was informed by someone in the company a couple of weeks ago).

Other companies, such as Marshalls for example, also own many franchises (I belive they own around 60 at the moment but are looking to expand)

When a few companies each own so many dealerships, competition goes out of the window, and it's something I thought the government were against.

There again, given that so much government revenue is derived from car sales and the VAT on servicing etc., it's in the government's interests to keep prices as high as possible.

Do I sound too cynical?
I've only had dealings with Harratts of Huddlesfield, Ray Chapmans of York and Malton and Slaters of Abergele and Mill Volvo of Sunderland and Newcastle all of these have been excellent with the exception of Mill. At the others we were taken seriously and treated like a potential customer.

A guy at Slaters knew alsorts about the car that I didn't even though I done my research, its very rare that sales people know there product nowadays.

Chapmans have been great too, more than likely my dealer of choice as long as the price is right, we'll be coming on down.

At Harratts the nice sales lady just gave us the keys to a car that sat outside. I mean we could have been anyone, we made it plain we were not local and had decided to buy nearer home but she was a very pleasant and trusting. I asked her why she had just given is the key she said "well you don't like car theives".

In comparison I set the alarm off at a Mill dealership and the key that I had to beg for was snatched from my hand like a child !! All the Mill that we've visited were the same.
Teejay1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7th, 2010, 19:35   #14
340Driver

Shatstones Birmingham have now become David Evans, same old staff and same poor customer service.
340Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7th, 2010, 19:53   #15
Britsud
Anycolouraslongasitsblack

Quote:
Originally Posted by grass hopper View Post
Volvo will open new branches and i hope the staff get new positions and proper training.
Lets not tar all volvo dealers with the same brush , Just think stratstone have lost the plot. Have not got a clue where I will after go though ?
2008my xc90 sport,Polestar 205bhp, Flip down DVD, Full intergrated phone volvo on call, RTI Satnav full post code, privacy glass, Winter pack, Family pack, calcite soft leather, .Bi-xenon active headlights, Brembo discs Redstuff Pads.
Britsud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7th, 2010, 22:48   #16
grass hopper
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Britsud View Post
Lets not tar all volvo dealers with the same brush , Just think stratstone have lost the plot. Have not got a clue where I will after go though ?
my comment was only on shatstones ! not all dealers.

shatstone new the plot,no customer or employee care,just milk every £ no matter what,after so many complaints from customers Volvo have given them the shove for other dealers to take over in the area.

Britsud,i hope you find employment soon though.
Old Apr 8th, 2010, 16:45   #17
Rufe
TRADER

I dont know about other dealers or anything other than their parts department practices but I do know Stratstones in Cardiff used to charge what we called "Strat-Tax"... a hiked up price basically.

I saw this for myself on many occassions where customers who called in to us in Swansea would show us parts invoices for parts they had bought in Cardiff previously, wondering why the retail prices were so different. usually an added 10% to 20% was about the addition. We also used to get bodyshops and garages from other areas calling us to query prices they had been charged on invoices, where the prices would be hiked up by 15% then they would get a trade price of 10% off, which would actually be still higher than the retail prices any other non Stratstone dealer would charge. As I said I dont know about other dealers in their group so cant comment on those. I dont think it was anything anyone lower down was to blame for, it all seemed to come directly from the highest management after talking to people who worked there. Their hands were tied completely from what I could see.

I understand that them closing has been an inconveience to customers in the Cardiff area since they have gone and that's a shame, but they really were not known for their customer service skills, or honesty, so I am hoping the new dealership opening in the area will be a lot better.

<<< FOR ALL ENQUIRIES PHONE: 01792 790066 / 01792 784272 >>>
* YOU MUST QUOTE 'C3' WHEN CALLING FOR OUR BEST PRICES! (weekdays 9am to 5pm) *
Rufe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Rufe For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 8th, 2010, 17:16   #18
bobdabuilda
Premier Member

Rufe, Shatstones in Cardiff were the epitomy of poor customer relations unlike FRF(parts dept). What/Who/Where/When are the new Cardiff volvo dealers?

Last edited by bobdabuilda; Apr 8th, 2010 at 19:11.
bobdabuilda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8th, 2010, 18:02   #19
Clan
Experienced Member

there were 3 top class people in cardiff parts , reception and workshop . , but higher forces bully them into these practices ...
Old Apr 11th, 2010, 09:31   #20
Lexon

Question

I have had no information from the Derby branch about the closure mentioned in this thread. Does anyone have any information about this branch, as this is the one I use?
Lexon
Lexon is offline   Reply With Quote