Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Towbar quote,Is this a good price

Views : 7433

Replies : 8

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 15th, 2010, 20:18   #1
yeoman
Master Member

Red face Towbar quote,Is this a good price

Hi,
I have been quoted £460.00 all inclusive to have a detachable towbar fitted by my local volvo dealer, Is this a good price and what about the wesfalia brand?
yeoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15th, 2010, 20:35   #2
XCF
Master Member

It's not a bad quote from Volvo when compared to their normal price. I would check if it is with 13 pin electrics and includes the SW download (that just disables the car fog lights) if you tow a trailer / caravan?

At the end of the day you get 3 year warranty from Volvo if fitted from new and they are probably charging around £200 to fit it which seems the going rate. It all depends if you fancy saving upwards of £200 yourself. Add to that the Westfalia is (IMO) a better towbar than the Volvo OEM as it's invisble when fitted compared to this from Volvo

First picture shows Volvo detachable towbar and cover.

Second picture came from this post ..
http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=91220

and shows view of car with Westfalia fitted - note no bumper trim needed.

As a guide - Westfalia is around £175 and 7 pin Volvo wiring around £50 (13 pin around £100) . Fitting is easy - no special tools needed, just another pair of hands.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg towbar.jpg (28.9 KB, 42 views)
File Type: jpg 3.jpg (45.2 KB, 38 views)
XCF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15th, 2010, 20:40   #3
Big Stew

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeoman View Post
Hi,
I have been quoted £460.00 all inclusive to have a detachable towbar fitted by my local volvo dealer, Is this a good price and what about the wesfalia brand?
Volvo quotes Detachable Towbar with 7 pin electrics £556.04
13 pin electrics £653.79

So the price is fair, we went for the 13 pin option and I'm very pleased with it, we tow a Twin axle caravan which tips the scales at 1730kg.
Big Stew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15th, 2010, 20:40   #4
yeoman
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicknick View Post
It's not a bad quote from Volvo when compared to their normal price. I would check if it is with 13 pin electrics and includes the SW download (that just disables the car fog lights) if you tow a trailer / caravan?

At the end of the day you get 3 year warranty from Volvo if fitted from new and they are probably charging around £200 to fit it which seems the going rate. It all depends if you fancy saving upwards of £200 yourself. Add to that the Westfalia is (IMO) a better towbar than the Volvo OEM as it's invisble when fitted compared to this from Volvo

First picture shows Volvo detachable towbar and cover.

Second picture came from this post ..
http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=91220

and shows view of car with Westfalia fitted - note no bumper trim needed.

As a guide - Westfalia is around £175 and 7 pin Volvo wiring around £50 (13 pin around £100) . Fitting is easy - no special tools needed, just another pair of hands.

Thanks Nicknick,
Does the wesfalia disable the rear fogs like the volvos with the software?
Old Apr 15th, 2010, 20:54   #5
XCF
Master Member

The Westfalia is just the towbar.

You buy the Volvo wiring from Volvo (Simon at FRF provides a discount to users of this site) or buy it from your dealer direct. The only difference to what Volvo will supply will be the towbar itself.

You only need the SW download if you need to have the car fog lights disabled when towing (so only if you tow a large trailer /caravan etc).

The volvo loom (7 pin or 13 pin) will disable the parking sensors when a lighting board is connected and shows the extra indicator light in the dash without the SW download.

I think the going rate from dealers for the SW download is around £50 so if you need it factor it in when comparing overall prices.

As I said before - the price you have is fair, I'd just consider if you like the idea of the cover on the Volvo bar and bear in mind it might not be Volvo that install it - they may sub that work out to a towbar fitters anyway.
XCF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15th, 2010, 22:28   #6
yeoman
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicknick View Post
The Westfalia is just the towbar.

You buy the Volvo wiring from Volvo (Simon at FRF provides a discount to users of this site) or buy it from your dealer direct. The only difference to what Volvo will supply will be the towbar itself.

You only need the SW download if you need to have the car fog lights disabled when towing (so only if you tow a large trailer /caravan etc).

The volvo loom (7 pin or 13 pin) will disable the parking sensors when a lighting board is connected and shows the extra indicator light in the dash without the SW download.

I think the going rate from dealers for the SW download is around £50 so if you need it factor it in when comparing overall prices.

As I said before - the price you have is fair, I'd just consider if you like the idea of the cover on the Volvo bar and bear in mind it might not be Volvo that install it - they may sub that work out to a towbar fitters anyway.
Thanks Nick,

I only wish to tow a trailer, hence the 7 pin should suffice. thanks for all your advice and cheers.
Old Apr 16th, 2010, 11:15   #7
pdrvolvo
Master Member

concidering its from volvo its not a bad price but an indi towbar fitter would better that price i,m sure.i was quoted around £800 by the main stealer for a towbar for an xc90.i had a witter detachable fitted at my house by the very same guy who fitted them for the dealer for around £270.most main stealers dont fit towbars themselves they get a fitter in to do the job and just add a few hundred pounds onto the price.

peter.
Old Apr 16th, 2010, 11:25   #8
grass hopper
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdrvolvo View Post
concidering its from volvo its not a bad price but an indi towbar fitter would better that price i,m sure.i was quoted around £800 by the main stealer for a towbar for an xc90.i had a witter detachable fitted at my house by the very same guy who fitted them for the dealer for around £270.most main stealers dont fit towbars themselves they get a fitter in to do the job and just add a few hundred pounds onto the price.

peter.
thats bad practice sub contracting them out !

next will be sub contract out the services then add 50% then stamp the book !

were I used to work the dealer fitted the tow-bar,occasionally non Volvo bars were fitted on sales cars but the buyer was aware on the deal

i would get the Volvo tow bar fitted personally at that price
Old Apr 16th, 2010, 12:51   #9
pdrvolvo
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grass hopper View Post
thats bad practice sub contracting them out !

next will be sub contract out the services then add 50% then stamp the book !

were I used to work the dealer fitted the tow-bar,occasionally non Volvo bars were fitted on sales cars but the buyer was aware on the deal

i would get the Volvo tow bar fitted personally at that price
i agree. when volvo quoted the £800 i said you must be joking.the salesman said dont worry this is the guy that fits them for us and he gave me the guys phone number.volvo would have billed me for more than twice the price and pocketed the balance for nothing.

peter.