Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

'Downgrading' from a FFRR to XC90

Views : 1395

Replies : 5

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 2nd, 2016, 10:04   #1
peterg1965

Default 'Downgrading' from a FFRR to XC90

Has anyone done this yet?

I have a 64 plate Range Rover 4.4 SDV8 Autobiography and was considering changing to an XC90 D5 Inscription. This is driven by the need to save a few hundred pounds in monthly finance costs and also the lower running costs.

I realise I will stepping down from the daddy of SUVs, but on the plus side the tech is so much better on the new XC90 compared to the Rangie, where things like the satnav are very dated.

Has anyone bought an XC90 through the military discount scheme?
peterg1965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2nd, 2016, 16:27   #2
volvo for ever
Premier Member

be honest dont you mean its never out the garage lol
volvo for ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2nd, 2016, 16:45   #3
iain cooper

will be an interesting comparison and I'm sure after a reasonable period we would appreciate your views on the differences.

Iain
Old Jan 3rd, 2016, 09:23   #4
peterg1965

Quote:
Originally Posted by volvo for ever View Post
be honest dont you mean its never out the garage lol
Touch wood, so far the Range Rover has not been off the road since we got it, although that's not strictly true as it has to go back to have a little bit of bodywork done due to a badly fitted wing. The Full Fat is an awesome machine and surprisingly economical for a V8, it easily beats the mpg of our previous RRS.

The downside is the cost of buying and running it, hence I am looking at the XC90, I guess for a factory order there is some wait so it's not a hasty spur of the moment decision. The XC looks fantastic and I love the interior, boot space is probably slightly better than the RR and that's an important consideration as we put the dogs in there!

I am waiting for Marshall Volvo to get back to me with some figures on a Xc90 Inscription with Winter and Xenium packs and a metallic paint.

Will let you know what happens!
peterg1965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6th, 2016, 20:03   #5
Denedriver

Default Don't do it until you have road tested the XC90 on motorways

I have a new XC90 with 20 inch wheels, the road noise on certain surfaces is dreadful. On the M25 West section it is unbearable. Not just loud but a real resonance that destroys the joy of the car. Volvo are aware and advising dealers to reduce tyre pressures to 32 at the rear (from a recommended 39 psi!) It is a poor fix.

Volvo UK are denying the problem but look for posts on here, Swede Speed and Volvo owners forum.

Sadly, I would not recommend this car to anyone until this is properly sorted. I have a £50,000 lemon!
Denedriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8th, 2016, 01:47   #6
RoyMacDonald
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterg1965 View Post
Has anyone done this yet?

I have a 64 plate Range Rover 4.4 SDV8 Autobiography and was considering changing to an XC90 D5 Inscription. This is driven by the need to save a few hundred pounds in monthly finance costs and also the lower running costs.

I realise I will stepping down from the daddy of SUVs, but on the plus side the tech is so much better on the new XC90 compared to the Rangie, where things like the satnav are very dated.

Has anyone bought an XC90 through the military discount scheme?
I went from a 52 plate FFRR Westminster the last of the steel chassis ones with the same engine and gearbox you have to an XC60. However the spec on mine cost more than a basic new XC90 Inscription. I got 30 mpg in my RR until I stopped in traffic or lights then you could see the mpg drop as you waited. I get 40 to 45 in the XC60. In the new XC90 I was getting about 37 mpg but I only had it for 3 days so not a full test.

I liked the 4.4 engine and gearbox in motion but standing in traffic the thing used so much fuel. Also the service and parts cost was scary. Also I found it had a lot of irritating behaviours in the way the software was implemented. If something is annoying I like to turn it off rather than be dictated to by the car. Also it was like a reverse TARDIS bigger on the outside than expected looking at the inside. I seem to have as much room in the XC60.

I had a new XC90 on loan for 3 days and thought it was great. So much more room than the RR. I didn't have an issue with tyre noise on the one I drove and it was a bit quieter than the RR. The only thing I thought better on the RR was that the very upright windscreen gave a better view because it had no reflections. This is swings and roundabouts as a more aerodynamic screen looks and performs better in the fuel economy stakes. I thought the interior was the best I've ever seen. Should warn you though I am a big fan of Volvo's Unless you plan to use the RR in really off road situations it really is overkill. The Haldex system can handle most of the off road stuff the average person will ever meet. There are some videos in the old XC90 part of the forum.

Might be worth taking a look at the new 7 seater RR. Cost is always going to be an issue though.

Last edited by RoyMacDonald; Jan 8th, 2016 at 01:52.
RoyMacDonald is offline   Reply With Quote