Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

2 year service internal, 1 year volvo assistance??

Views : 687

Replies : 6

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 3rd, 2019, 18:14   #1
tabber

Default 2 year service internal, 1 year volvo assistance??

Hi,

As we always did with our last XC90, we recently tried to arrange a yearly service at the Volvo dealer for our new XC90 (Which we've now had for a year) in order to get the free Volvo Assistance. However, we were told the new ones are only a 2 year service interval (or 12,000 mile - which we wont do), so didn't need to book in a service. We inquired about Volvo assistance, and they thought it should be covered between services, despite the documentation clearly saying 12 months. We have contacted Volvo HQ, as we didn't want to be without cover, and they seem to think it is only 12 months.

Anyone else experienced this?

Seems a bit odd we will have to remember to arrange breakdown cover ourselves every 2nd year.

Cheers,
tabber
Old May 3rd, 2019, 18:56   #2
Philip Fisher
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tabber View Post
Hi,

As we always did with our last XC90, we recently tried to arrange a yearly service at the Volvo dealer for our new XC90 (Which we've now had for a year) in order to get the free Volvo Assistance. However, we were told the new ones are only a 2 year service interval (or 12,000 mile - which we wont do), so didn't need to book in a service. We inquired about Volvo assistance, and they thought it should be covered between services, despite the documentation clearly saying 12 months. We have contacted Volvo HQ, as we didn't want to be without cover, and they seem to think it is only 12 months.

Anyone else experienced this?

Seems a bit odd we will have to remember to arrange breakdown cover ourselves every 2nd year.

Cheers,
tabber
Think your dealer is talking b0ll0x. I am 100% certain SPA cars are 18k miles intervals. I am 99.99% certain that they are also 1 year intervals.

So at least some if not all they have told you is just plain wrong. On an absolute basic. From a main dealer. Sigh....
Previously:-
1997 V70 T5 exPolice; 2005 V50 2.0D; 2013 XC70 D5
Philip Fisher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Philip Fisher For This Useful Post:
Old May 4th, 2019, 01:02   #3
nu11eaf
Premier Member

Yes 18,000 miles or 12 months whichever comes soonest. So for most people it will be an annual service, or if doing more than 18k miles a year service will be required sooner.
12 months is the maximum time between services.
XC90 Inscription D5 Power pulse, 2017 MY, Savile grey, Blond Nappa, Leather dash/door tops, Walnut inlays, Dark tinted windows, Air suspension, Bliss/Cross traffic alert, Xenium/7 seat comfort/Family/Winter packs, 4 zone climate, Heated rear seats.
nu11eaf is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to nu11eaf For This Useful Post:
Old May 4th, 2019, 16:51   #4
tabber

Thanks for the replies. Thought it sounded odd. Just checked the service book that comes with the car, and that agrees with your 1 year / 18k miles.

Just to correct one thing since it was my wife who phoned, it was 12k miles a year, so 2 years / 24k miles they were saying. The person even checked with someone else on her end of the line who agreed. I'll follow up with them to see where they got this info from.

Cheers,
tabber
Old May 4th, 2019, 18:06   #5
nu11eaf
Premier Member

They use long life oil in the cars these days which allows engines to go to 18k between changes. But still annually if that is sooner.
XC90 Inscription D5 Power pulse, 2017 MY, Savile grey, Blond Nappa, Leather dash/door tops, Walnut inlays, Dark tinted windows, Air suspension, Bliss/Cross traffic alert, Xenium/7 seat comfort/Family/Winter packs, 4 zone climate, Heated rear seats.
nu11eaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2019, 21:49   #6
XC90Mk1
Premier Member

If you are doing that low mileage then you will hear the oil to water condenses and then not get hot enough to burn off.

What ever the manual says do not leave longer than 12 months.

Interesting to hear you have a T8. I put 30,000 miles a year on my old diesel at 30mpg and seriously think about getting a t8.

On the numbers I can’t see how it saves anything. How do you find it works out.

I am not overly concerned about the environment so that argument does not hold a great deal for me.
XC90Mk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2019, 22:09   #7
Philip Fisher
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by XC90Mk1 View Post
If you are doing that low mileage then you will hear the oil to water condenses and then not get hot enough to burn off.

What ever the manual says do not leave longer than 12 months.

Interesting to hear you have a T8. I put 30,000 miles a year on my old diesel at 30mpg and seriously think about getting a t8.

On the numbers I can’t see how it saves anything. How do you find it works out.

I am not overly concerned about the environment so that argument does not hold a great deal for me.
My T8 makes sense for me, but 2 main points.

1. It was my company car and I bought it off the lease co. at 3 yrs and 85k miles, so essentially I paid second hand prices but got a car which only I have driven.

2. My commute is 46 miles each way. I charge at home and at work. It is early days but with a gentle right foot and with the charging at each end I am getting up to 50mpg on a tank. Maybe 45 to 50 realistically. And that is proper brim to brim measurement of mpg.

I have sub metering on my home charger so I need to factor in the electric cost to rebase my mpg and adjust it down to take account of my 10p per unit electric cost but not got round to it.

So for a second hand buy where I paid just less than 30k GBP I am happy with my mpg, but paying more for a new T8 in order to save money on fuel? No chance.....
Previously:-
1997 V70 T5 exPolice; 2005 V50 2.0D; 2013 XC70 D5
Philip Fisher is offline   Reply With Quote