Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Engine noise at 1900 rpm

Views : 1313

Replies : 10

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 7th, 2010, 18:20   #1
bobdabuilda
Premier Member

Default Engine noise at 1900 rpm

Can the chap who contacted me regarding the strange engine burble noise at 1900 rpm please let me know how it went at the dealers? Your info has been lost since the website crash! Thanks
bobdabuilda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2nd, 2010, 19:07   #2
uncle997

Hi Bob ,Just found your thread asking about the noise .
Rybrooks fitted a coupling on the propshaft and some new shocker spring insulators on the front suspension .
the noise level was altered but i have lost faith in taking the car back as they have had it in about six times now .
I have ordered a new D5 Geartronic active which will be here in june /july .they gave me a good deal on my 57 reg D5 SE Geartronic but iam a bit unsure about losing the leather trim apart from that the spec seems to be very similar .
Please let me know your veiws .
uncle997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2nd, 2010, 19:39   #3
Chris N

I had real concerns about not having leather as I have 3 young kids and it's always been easy just to wipe up spills etc but I can honestly say I had not missed the leather trim one bit. I still have heated seats and with 13,000 + miles on the clock there's no sign of bolster wear what so ever.
Chris N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2nd, 2010, 20:13   #4
uncle997

Chris,
Thanks for the reply, i have specified a winter pack on my order with the savilee grey colour but the active has 17 inch wheels as to the 18 inchers on the SE. I have been told the active tyres are cheaper and they give a better ride due to the higher wall profile .

anyone noticed the difference?
Old Apr 2nd, 2010, 22:03   #5
Chris N

I put the 18 inch Situal wheels on mine. Drives and looks lovely on them. £750 upgrade if I recall? Tyres prices are so good these days if you shop around I didn't think about the cost to replace as I'm sure it won't break the bank...

I like the look of the standard 17 inch wheel but I felt the car looked to "BIG" to be on 17's hence the upgrade.

13,400 miles I have done on the original tyres and there just over half worn. It is all motorway miles though.

Last edited by Chris N; Apr 2nd, 2010 at 22:06.
Chris N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2nd, 2010, 22:39   #6
uncle997

Chris ,

I think i will get on to the dealer and upgrade the wheels.

I have also heard through the grape vine that the SE Model is the next xc 90 to have big discounts so i may even be able to get back in a SE spec car depending on the discount they will give me .

So watch this space .
Old Apr 3rd, 2010, 10:44   #7
bobdabuilda
Premier Member

uncle- thanks for replying. I took mine in and they said it was a turbo pipe that had moved and was causing the noise. Unfortunately after leaving the dealership the noise is still there.... so it's going back for another look. It sounds exhaust related to me and I wonder if theres a small leak near the engine manifold....
Old Apr 13th, 2010, 13:42   #8
bobdabuilda
Premier Member

My car is back at the dealers to get this looked at, but the service manager has told me that 'noises, clunks and squeaks' are not covered under the three year warranty and that at best it is a 'grey area'.
Old Apr 13th, 2010, 14:02   #9
lordlichfield

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobdabuilda View Post
My car is back at the dealers to get this looked at, but the service manager has told me that 'noises, clunks and squeaks' are not covered under the three year warranty and that at best it is a 'grey area'.
LOL!! Sounds like that dealer wants an easy life or doesn't have the confidence to be able to troubleshoot.
lordlichfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13th, 2010, 14:27   #10
bobdabuilda
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordlichfield View Post
LOL!! Sounds like that dealer wants an easy life or doesn't have the confidence to be able to troubleshoot.

You don't know the half of it mate! I am resisting the urge to name and shame said person but I am wating to see what gets done first.... I have some absolute pearlers of replies from him on past technical issues.