Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 300/66 Series General

Notices

300/66 Series General Forum for the Volvo 340, 360 and 66 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

GLT or GLE

Views : 3964

Replies : 26

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 6th, 2010, 23:50   #1
Palmer
Premier Member

Default GLT or GLE

Whats the best 360?

GLE or GLT?

I know the glt is fuel injected and cloth interior.

Is the GLE leather? Which one has the higher spec o_O?

ta
Palmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2010, 01:30   #2
TonyS9
Premier Member

Both cars has various options and special editions with leather. To be honest I have had leather and I don't like it. The seat doesn't squash right and you end up sitting too high, generally uncomfortable and sweaty.

The main difference is Engine and suspension, GLTs are injected and sit slightly lower, have lower profile wheels and spoilers front and rear, the rear diff ratios might be slightly lower aswell. A few other parts like rear wheel bearing are stronger in the GLT.

There was also a GLEi, I'll leave you to guess what that one has.

Last edited by TonyS9; May 7th, 2010 at 01:33.
TonyS9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2010, 11:38   #3
Palmer
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyS9 View Post
Both cars has various options and special editions with leather. To be honest I have had leather and I don't like it. The seat doesn't squash right and you end up sitting too high, generally uncomfortable and sweaty.

The main difference is Engine and suspension, GLTs are injected and sit slightly lower, have lower profile wheels and spoilers front and rear, the rear diff ratios might be slightly lower aswell. A few other parts like rear wheel bearing are stronger in the GLT.

There was also a GLEi, I'll leave you to guess what that one has.
Right i think im getting it. Some confusing shizz man o_O

GLEi = fuel injection ya?
Old May 7th, 2010, 19:25   #4
chorleybo

i owned a 360 gle 4 door saloon, it had the 2.0 injection engine, cloth seats and was the best car i've ever owned, sad to say i got rid of it because it rotted far too much, such a shame,
chorleybo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2010, 23:51   #5
TonyS9
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chorleybo View Post
i owned a 360 gle 4 door saloon, it had the 2.0 injection engine, cloth seats and was the best car i've ever owned, sad to say i got rid of it because it rotted far too much, such a shame,
That would have been the GLEi then, I also preferred the saloon's. Am currently doing a severe re-build on mine for rot, not to be approached without love for the car :-).

Not sure I've ever seen a hatchback GLEi. My mates GLEi was a saloon too. My GLE saloon was carb.
Old May 8th, 2010, 10:05   #6
mchudd

Default 360

Hi Tony.
How are you getting along with the project.
Cheers Mark.
mchudd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2010, 14:46   #7
TonyS9
Premier Member

rebuilt the floorpan/sills, moving onto rear left wheel arch, and found some extra rot in the boot. Then plan to move to the front wheel arches+valence.

Getting there slowly but surely. I am vaguely hoping to get the turbo engine in this summer, then get it MOTd and sprayed.
Old May 9th, 2010, 00:17   #8
Palmer
Premier Member

So the GLT is the best trim. Got it.

Old May 9th, 2010, 10:51   #9
SteveP
300 Maniac

Sort of! The GLT generally had the better spec.. electric windows, sunroof (crap anyway!), central locking and later electric mirrors but rarely had leather.

GLE Special Editions (either 1.7 or 2.0 carbed) came with leather around 1988-89. Then there was also the GLEi SE made around 1986/7 - these were all saloons in either silver or ocean blue metallic and came with leather and air conditioning, the latter being very rare! Late 340 GL's matched the late GLT's for equipment just without the sporty looking seats.

Best way to think of it is perhaps the GLT was the more 'sporty' version, shorter diff, hotter camshaft, fuel injection, stiffer and lower suspension
SteveP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2010, 17:25   #10
Palmer
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveP View Post
Sort of! The GLT generally had the better spec.. electric windows, sunroof (crap anyway!), central locking and later electric mirrors but rarely had leather.

GLE Special Editions (either 1.7 or 2.0 carbed) came with leather around 1988-89. Then there was also the GLEi SE made around 1986/7 - these were all saloons in either silver or ocean blue metallic and came with leather and air conditioning, the latter being very rare! Late 340 GL's matched the late GLT's for equipment just without the sporty looking seats.

Best way to think of it is perhaps the GLT was the more 'sporty' version, shorter diff, hotter camshaft, fuel injection, stiffer and lower suspension
Oh right.

Damn volvo know to confuse people! haha