Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Can anyone identify these springs?

Views : 841

Replies : 9

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 21st, 2017, 07:15   #1
tony209
Master Member

Default Can anyone identify these springs?

My C70 2.4 GT cab has incorrect front springs that give an incorrect ride height but does anyone recognise what springs they are? The one on the left is the strut off my C70 T5 cab, which I assume is a GT spring, the one on the right is the strut from the 2.4 GT

tony209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21st, 2017, 13:37   #2
ITSv40
VOC Member

I cannot identify the spring, nor see much difference between the two, although the T5 does look a little bit stronger. ie the steel rod it was made from is larger diameter. Mine is a GT spec, with original front springs, I can measure the diameter of the steel rod if that would be of any use. At least it would give you some idea of the original.

Apart from that not sure what the issue is. Is it standing too low or too high?
ITSv40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21st, 2017, 16:14   #3
Spawned66

OEM were Sachs springs and shocks. This is a picture of what I have on my 99C70 GT Convertible 2.5T
These were ordered from FRF Volvo and are actually 20mm lower than the stock setup. Sorry for the blurry pic, it was over a year ago
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0198.JPG (26.6 KB, 17 views)
Spawned66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22nd, 2017, 07:09   #4
tony209
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ITSv40 View Post
Mine is a GT spec, with original front springs, I can measure the diameter of the steel rod if that would be of any use. At least it would give you some idea of the original.

Apart from that not sure what the issue is. Is it standing too low or too high?
The springs on the right give a ride height that is too low, either they are not intended for a C70 cab or they are not matched to the rear springs. The springs had been fitted new when I bought the car.

Do you know for certain if your car was fitted with GT springs at the factory? It was an option on the GT - comfort or GT.

If you can, measure the thickness (if you don't have a vernier caliper, use an adjustable spanner) and the ride height floor to wheel arch

Last edited by tony209; Apr 22nd, 2017 at 07:14.
Old Apr 22nd, 2017, 07:22   #5
tony209
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spawned66 View Post
OEM were Sachs springs and shocks. This is a picture of what I have on my 99C70 GT Convertible 2.5T
These were ordered from FRF Volvo and are actually 20mm lower than the stock setup. Sorry for the blurry pic, it was over a year ago
Could you measure your ride height front and rear please - floor to wheel arch
Old Apr 22nd, 2017, 09:31   #6
ITSv40
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony209 View Post
The springs on the right give a ride height that is too low, either they are not intended for a C70 cab or they are not matched to the rear springs. The springs had been fitted new when I bought the car.

Do you know for certain if your car was fitted with GT springs at the factory? It was an option on the GT - comfort or GT.

If you can, measure the thickness (if you don't have a vernier caliper, use an adjustable spanner) and the ride height floor to wheel arch
Tony, I have measured the car this morning, measurements as below.

Front springs are 13.4 mm dia with six clear coils as well as the top and bottom coils that sit on the seats - as per your T5 spring. The front springs are original, but the rear springs have been replaced previously with non genuine springs. I have no idea what make or spec they are.

Wheel arch height, measured to the steel arch lip, not the plastic liner.

nsf 665mm osf 670mm nsr 675mm osr 665mm

all measured on level floor with correct tyre pressures, 17'' wheels.

Looking at the 2003 spec sheet, comfort suspension was standard on the base and GT with dynamic being an option on both the base and GT spec. Dynamic was standard on the T5 with lowered dynamic or Nivomats being an option across all models. I would guess my car has comfort suspension as it drives soft and squidgy.

As your car is riding low at the front, I suspect your front springs are weak, they certainly look a lot weaker than your T5. As you can see from the attachment, my car sits level and looks correct. Hope this is of some use to you.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF0908B.jpg (296.6 KB, 5 views)
ITSv40 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ITSv40 For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 22nd, 2017, 09:42   #7
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony209 View Post
My C70 2.4 GT cab has incorrect front springs that give an incorrect ride height but does anyone recognise what springs they are? The one on the left is the strut off my C70 T5 cab, which I assume is a GT spring, the one on the right is the strut from the 2.4 GT

There are a multitude of different springs depending on year , engine all sorts , you used to be able to identify them by the colour code on them but that is not used anymore .
The only place which can help is the volvo dealer who has the cars details , buy a new pair which the car was built with ... The spring type is designated by the chassis type code on the data plate on the car , but that is only of use to the dealer when he looks them up , he has access to that from the cars database at volvo so won't need to see the car .
Old Apr 23rd, 2017, 20:47   #8
tony209
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
There are a multitude of different springs depending on year , engine all sorts , you used to be able to identify them by the colour code on them but that is not used anymore .
The only place which can help is the volvo dealer who has the cars details , buy a new pair which the car was built with ... The spring type is designated by the chassis type code on the data plate on the car , but that is only of use to the dealer when he looks them up , he has access to that from the cars database at volvo so won't need to see the car .
The car was factory fitted with comfort springs but the springs that were on the car when I bought it were brand new and the ones on the back we're fairly new too. I prefer the springs from the T5, they are now on the 2.4 GT and the car feels good. The T5 now needs new springs and I don't want to just throw away the other springs.
Old May 4th, 2017, 20:43   #9
tony209
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ITSv40 View Post
Tony, I have measured the car this morning, measurements as below.

Wheel arch height, measured to the steel arch lip, not the plastic liner.

nsf 665mm osf 670mm nsr 675mm osr 665mm

all measured on level floor with correct tyre pressures, 17'' wheels.

Looking at the 2003 spec sheet, comfort suspension was standard on the base and GT with dynamic being an option on both the base and GT spec. Dynamic was standard on the T5 with lowered dynamic or Nivomats being an option across all models. I would guess my car has comfort suspension as it drives soft and squidgy.

As your car is riding low at the front, I suspect your front springs are weak, they certainly look a lot weaker than your T5. As you can see from the attachment, my car sits level and looks correct. Hope this is of some use to you.
Thanks for that. Finally got my flat surface freed up and could measure the ride heights.

My 2.4T whish now has the T5 front struts fitted to it is as follows:-

Front 245 and rear 680, this would suggest that the front springs are Dynamic and the rear standard.

My T5 which temporarily has the unidentified front springs from the 2.4 is:-

Front 630 and rear 670, bearing in mind that both cars will be lower at the front that they should be, the rears will have been raised slightly. This would suggest that the T5 rear springs are also Dynamic and the front springs (considering they are new) could be the lowered option and incorrect for the struts.

I'll be changing the tie rods on the T5 next week so I'll put the T5 front struts back on and measure the front and rear heights again but from what I can remember, it sits flat.
The Following User Says Thank You to tony209 For This Useful Post:
Old May 25th, 2017, 21:37   #10
tony209
Master Member

Default Long shot but... anyone recognise this part No.?

Sorted the inner tie rods on my T5 so I switched the struts and springs back over. Had a good look at those new front springs that were on my 2.4 and they do have a part N0. - 74996 T483975 in green, anyone recognise this and can identify the springs?