Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

740 speedometer needle setting after fix

Views : 865

Replies : 18

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 24th, 2019, 13:43   #1
Hell Driver

Default 740 speedometer needle setting after fix

Hi, I've just replaced the broken cog to repair the odometer in my 740. Foolishly didn't note the exact position before removing needle to access the cogs . Does it sit exactly on the zero position marker (just noticed the lowest position relates to 10mph not zero!) or slightly below as some cars do at rest? I don't want it to over read if I get it wrong. Many thanks in advance, a photo would be great.

PS. It's the 25 tooth VDO speedo from a 1988-9 F reg

Last edited by Hell Driver; Mar 24th, 2019 at 13:58.
Hell Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24th, 2019, 15:02   #2
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

I'm guessing you have a smartphone as well? Download a GPS speedo app and set the phone up in your car. Now take it for a drive and compare the readings. As long as your car speedo shows the same as the GPS with up to 10% more but nothing less (in other words, if the GPS says 30mph, your speedo can read anywhere between 30-33mph but no lower, like wise at 60 on the GPS app it can read 60-66mph but not 59 or lower) then you're ok.

I think there's a pin to stop the needle at 10mph so it won't read until you reach 10mph so this is how i would do it.

Granted if you need to reposition it, it will be a faff stripping it all out again but nothing else for it sadly.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 24th, 2019, 19:43   #3
Hell Driver

Thanks for that, yes I was going to use a dashcam with a gps speed readout to calibrate but then I found this https://www.240turbo.com/740-odometer-repair.html which happens to have the same speedo. Set at 10mph and needle begins to lift above 10mph. All back together now but odometer still not working, it was a broken cog which I've replaced but I've either put something back wrong or it had got another problem as well. Got to take it all apart again! Was working OK so likely something related to cog. Apparently the broken tooth can jam in the mechanism. I wound it on a bit to allow for missing miles so as far as I can tell it should be free to move.

Last edited by Hell Driver; Mar 24th, 2019 at 19:46.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hell Driver For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 24th, 2019, 20:23   #4
bob12
bob12

Fret not ... in my humble opinion the best guide for the VDO is on Dave Barton's website as said ^^^ at: https://www.240turbo.com/740-odometer-repair.html , although it is a bit long winded!

You will find that once the needle is back on the spindle again that with care you can still 'adjust' it by holding the hub and turning it ever so slightly backward or forwards .... be careful!! Backwards is easiest as you are turning it against the inbuilt stop. If you put the needle on just above zero you can then adjust it downwards to zero. In this position you will find that it is likely to read about +/- 2mph above zero. Give it a few gentle flicks to make sure where the needle settles.

Then, as said above you can test accuracy with a satnav or an app.

Last edited by bob12; Mar 24th, 2019 at 20:50.
bob12 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bob12 For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 24th, 2019, 20:28   #5
bob12
bob12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hell Driver View Post
Thanks for that, yes I was going to use a dashcam with a gps speed readout to calibrate but then I found this https://www.240turbo.com/740-odometer-repair.html which happens to have the same speedo. Set at 10mph and needle begins to lift above 10mph. All back together now but odometer still not working, it was a broken cog which I've replaced but I've either put something back wrong or it had got another problem as well. Got to take it all apart again! Was working OK so likely something related to cog. Apparently the broken tooth can jam in the mechanism. I wound it on a bit to allow for missing miles so as far as I can tell it should be free to move.
So, the speedo needle is working and the mileometer, but not the trip odo?
Old Mar 25th, 2019, 12:30   #6
NI_Volvo_Nut
Volvologist

There are 2 different sized cog's, did you get the right one?

What's the matter with the car I'm driving?
Can't you tell that it's out of style?
Should I get a set of white wall tires?
Are you gonna cruise the miracle mile?
NI_Volvo_Nut is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to NI_Volvo_Nut For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 25th, 2019, 13:04   #7
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hell Driver View Post
Hi, I've just replaced the broken cog to repair the odometer in my 740. Foolishly didn't note the exact position before removing needle to access the cogs . Does it sit exactly on the zero position marker (just noticed the lowest position relates to 10mph not zero!) or slightly below as some cars do at rest? I don't want it to over read if I get it wrong. Many thanks in advance, a photo would be great.

PS. It's the 25 tooth VDO speedo from a 1988-9 F reg
you should find a hidden white mark on the face which lays just below the needle stop , that is the place to fit the pointer to .
Old Mar 25th, 2019, 14:18   #8
Hell Driver

Thanks for the replies, now an update. Yes, I've got the 25 tooth one which is what the old one was, (I counted the teeth and missing tooth on the old one). Speedo needle now the least of the problems! Got it all back together (including needle!) and odometer (miles) still not working. Took apart and found that tiny 25 tooth cog has different sides (on has a collar) so turned it over. (On the bench, it works both ways to move digits so can't see it matters which way up it goes). I've now rebuilt it in stripped down form (no dial cover and no needle, no housing etc. for ease of stripping down again). It works for a few clicks (sometimes nearly a mile) then jams up. Can release with finger on digits as suggested in the link and get it going again. Got about 80 clicks out of it before jamming again Stepper motor working ok. Sometimes I can hear it trying when jammed. I've recovered the broken tooth so not that causing problems. Maybe lubrication needed.
Old Mar 25th, 2019, 14:37   #9
bob12
bob12

Yes, 25 toothed cog is the norm in the UK. I think it's in the US and other world markets where the 26 are prevalent.

I suspect that your problem might be that the pcb is screwed down too tight preventing the stepping motor from running freely, but that's no guarantee.

I seem to recall that the little collar faces upwards. I see if I can find a picture ... found!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PICT0597.jpg (225.1 KB, 17 views)
Old Mar 25th, 2019, 14:57   #10
Hell Driver

Smile

Hopefully final update! Looks like friction was the problem. Yes, the collar should be upwards as per diagram. I've returned it to that position (in which it wasn't working when I first reassembled) and added a tiny amount of oil to every moving cog/friction surface. (But not the digits!) I wondered about the screwing down of the PCB but the motor centre has a clever spring loaded friction surface to avoid that problem. I've jacked the car up and gone through a few miles and all seams OK. By the way, the odometer works as normal in reverse so no easy clocking of mileage that way! (Although it's dead easy when the stepper motor is off). I added a few missing miles from while it's been not working. 99,050 miles so still a low mileage example in Volvo terms.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hell Driver For This Useful Post: