Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

740 idle

Views : 1355

Replies : 32

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 24th, 2019, 20:59   #1
atco

Default 740 idle

ive got a realy bad idle on my 740 that im having a problem finding.just appeared from starting.ive just changed the plug leads plugs rotor arm and distributer.but cant get it to start on idle .and when its going to start the engine just shakes real bad on tick over.thinking it might be sucking in air from some where
atco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24th, 2019, 22:09   #2
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Sounds like you've got two plug leads the wrong way round. Someone on here somewhere has a nice pretty picture of how they should be, hopefully they'll see this thread and post it for you.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 24th, 2019, 22:36   #3
atco

Default 740 idle

hi i hope your right looks right to me plug leads no 1 two four two to three three to 1 four to no 1 think thats right.but will have a little look ta
Old Mar 24th, 2019, 23:07   #4
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

The dizzy cap should have the numbers on for which plugs are served by each connection. What you've said there doesn't sound right at all.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Old Mar 25th, 2019, 21:06   #5
atco

Default 740 bad idle

ive looked at some photos on the forum and i think im right number one to number four. number two to three. number three to four. and number four to no three
Old Mar 25th, 2019, 21:20   #6
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

If you were right, it would be running properly.

Depends how you are numbering it all and how you've got them connected to the dizzy cap. The firing order is 1-3-4-2, dizzy rotation clockwise viewed from the front of the engine.

HOWEVER the dizzy cap isn't arranged in a logical way because of its shape, hence it usually has numbers on the cap next to the terminal housings. Whatever number is on the cap nearest a particular terminal where you plug the lead in is whatever number cylinder it serves.

Cyliners are numbered from #1 at the front to #4 at the back.

Last edited by Laird Scooby; Mar 25th, 2019 at 21:24. Reason: Topys - or is it typos?
Old Mar 25th, 2019, 22:13   #7
atco

Default 740 idle

dont suppose you got some photos of the set up please.also been looking at some videos on u tube and they say its 4312 you are saying 1342 looking from the front of the engine
Old Mar 25th, 2019, 22:28   #8
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

No photos thee days, no, not since Photobucket demanded $400 ransom to see my own photos! Lost a lot of them.

The firing order is 1-3-4-2 - that isn't up for discussion, argument or anything else - if someone on YT says it's anything else, they're wrong, plain and simple as that.

What i would suggest you do, based on the most common mix-ups on plug leads is to swap the leads on plugs 2 and 3 - literally lift the lead of of plug 2, remove the lead from plug 3 and fit it on 2 then the lead you removed from 2, put it on 3 - then try starting it.

If it makes things worse, you'll have to swap them back but give it a few seconds of running if it isn't worse, chacnes are the plugs are soaked with fuel if you've had them the wrong way round.

If that doesn't cure it, swap leads 1 and 4 on the dizzy, plug lead #1 is too short to swap with #4 otherwise. Again, give it a short while for the plugs to self-clean.

Old Mar 26th, 2019, 21:25   #9
atco

Default 740 plug lead set up

hi dave im sorry to be a payne but im looking at the engine from the front and ive got the plugs set up on the dizzy from left to right. no 4 witch is the short one 3 1 2.and i dont have the markings on the dizzy cos ive got the black sleeve over it so i dont no where 1342 goes on the dizzy.cherrs
Old Mar 26th, 2019, 21:56   #10
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Swap plug leads 2 and 3, either at the cap end or the plug end, i'm 99% certain that will get you going. Only swap at one end though.

It's no good me looking under my bonnet :

Long time since i had a redblock, about 6 years now or thereabouts.