Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

XC60 '19 - Very tinny sound system

Views : 3523

Replies : 15

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 23rd, 2019, 20:04   #11
Haldex
Premier Member

The stock system is at least as good as a HK system in my old V60. However, if the HK option were available when I was ordering mine- I would have upgraded- as the HK system on SPA cars really does make a difference.

To the OP: Note that the standard system is front biased though. Mine is set to fade about 20% to the rear- and now it does give full-bodied sound to the rear seats as well.. Play with the EQ settings as well - they do make a huge difference.

XC40 B4 RD AWD
Haldex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24th, 2019, 09:38   #12
Berkshirebob

The rear speakers on my V90 (standard system) are approx. 50% volume in relation to the fronts. Fader in the middle position and and it sounds excellent from the drivers seat.
I don’t get it - who cares about what it sounds like in the rear seats? I don’t sit there and if I have passengers we are probably going to have a conversation..
Old Mar 25th, 2019, 11:56   #13
Mishutka

Quote:
Originally Posted by familymangreg View Post
I also have the optional sub, and this is what I think: If you adjust the equaliser setting to what I think it calls the dynamic preset, and move up the sub and base sliders, the sound *in the front of the car* is pretty nice, and not at all tinny. However, if you adjust the slider to fade more sound backwards in the car for the rear seat passenger, the sound very quickly looses all body, and becomes very tinny. There is a sweet spot, where you just about get enough sound in the back of the car so that the rear passenger don't feel as it it is 100% coming from the front, and you still have a bit of body. But if you fade it back to about centre on the slider graphic, the sound is absolutely crap, very flat and tinny with no body.

So I'm happy with it just about, but I don't think its a great system at all, the rear speakers are crap.

I wonder if the H&K system has addressed this in the later models.

:wq
I was wondering if the optional sub is only available as a factory fitted option or is possible as a dealer retro-fit? I guess I can ask them. But I am a bit worried that you dont think it makes any difference. Is that right?
Mishutka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25th, 2019, 12:55   #14
familymangreg
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mishutka View Post
I was wondering if the optional sub is only available as a factory fitted option or is possible as a dealer retro-fit? I guess I can ask them. But I am a bit worried that you dont think it makes any difference. Is that right?
No, I do think it makes a difference, albeit quite subtle.

:wq
Old Mar 25th, 2019, 19:14   #15
Whippy
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr rusty View Post
I find the standard sound system in my V90 just fine. However two comments

1) I echo the previous post re fader and equaliser - needs tweaking to get a sweet spot - and I'm only bothered about me in the front.
2) UK DAB to me always seems weak as far as fidelity is concerned. Switching between eg a BBC DAB station and e.g. Radio Paradise on Tune-in and the difference to me is significant.
DAB is famously poor, limited bandwidth with many stations not even broadcasting in stereo. Good for listening to foot of the ball but that's about it.
Whippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26th, 2019, 12:19   #16
AWM

I agree with Quonker that the T8 sub-woofer makes a lot of difference, having driven a conventional XC60 without it.

As also mentioned, DAB is famously lacking in sonic performance. I tend to stick to internet radio or stuff off USB now.

I did A/B the H-K system with the standard (woofer equipped) T8 and, if anything, I thought the standard system better. YMMV...

AWM
AWM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to AWM For This Useful Post:

Tags
bass, infotainment, sound