Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Diesel Engines

Notices

Diesel Engines A forum dedicated to diesel engines fitted to Volvo cars. See the first post in this forum for a list of the diesel engines.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

DPF blocked error but pressure readings fine in VIDA help i

Views : 12417

Replies : 20

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 15th, 2019, 16:07   #1
WilBo

Default DPF blocked error but pressure readings fine in VIDA help i

Hi,

I recently had a problem with a blocked DPF, which I initially thought might be something else but turned out to be due to the EOLYS fluid running out stopping the car from regening itself. (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=287551)

I ultimately ended up getting a VIDA-DICE setup, filling the additive tank with PAT fluid and regenning it myself. I also used some Wurth DPF cleaner in there.

This worked fine for about another 3-4,000 miles, but I have recently had the issue come back. Engine management light, limp mode, etc.

Using VIDA I am getting the following error codes:
ECM-2A30 Particulate trap - blocked
ECM-2A40 Particulate trap - signal too high

However, for some reason I couldn't initiate a regen using VIDA (I followed all the instructions in VIDA) and a more detailed investigation seemed to show that the pressure readings coming form the sensor appear to be within the threshold, which seems strange.

I'm getting DPF pressure sensor readings of around:
1hPa at idle (793 rpm)
9hPa at 2000 rpm
20hPa at 2500 rpm
35hPa at 2900 rpm

(I'll post some pictures of the screen for anyone who is technically minded)

These seem to be within the appropriate range for a clear DPF and are close to the readings I got immediately after performing the previous regen.

Does anyone have any ideas what could be causing this?

I'm suspecting perhaps a faulty pressure sensor or hose, but I did try swapping out the sensor before doing the last regen and got the same readings so swapped it back. Visual inspection of the pipes also seemed to be ok. (NB - the car has only done around 14,000 miles)

Also, can anyone tell me where I can find particulate filter soot mass in the parameters in VIDA?
(I can't find it anywhere)

Cheers,

Wil
WilBo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15th, 2019, 16:32   #2
IainG
Premier Member

Hi
When you did this

Quote:
filling the additive tank with PAT fluid
Did you reset the counter with Vida to tell the car it was full again?

If not the car will think it is still empty and come up with an error

Iain
IainG is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to IainG For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 15th, 2019, 17:07   #3
WilBo

Yep, I reset the counter in VIDA.
I assume the dosing module has been adding the additive.

Also, the pressure sensor readings seem to suggest the DPF isn't blocked, which is what I find perplexing. That's why I'm thinking it may be an intermitent sensor issue or something.

Is there a way of checking the counter?

Thanks,

Wil
Old Jan 15th, 2019, 17:56   #4
IainG
Premier Member

Hi
Quote:
Is there a way of checking the counter?
Somewhere it shows the level in Vida. I think it measures in 15ths for some reason.
Can't remember where without looking. Probably just click on ADM

Iain
IainG is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to IainG For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 15th, 2019, 19:03   #5
WilBo

Thanks.
I'll check it and post my findings.

Wil
Old Jan 16th, 2019, 14:40   #6
WilBo

Hi,
Just as a quick update. I checked the car this morning and found quite a big hole in one of the hoses going to the pressure sensor. I've taped it up for now and that seems to have solveed the problem temporarily.

I will upload some pictures as soon as I can work out how to do it, and will give further updates as to whether it really has solved the problem.

Cheers,

Wil
Old Jan 21st, 2019, 15:09   #7
Petey80
Premier Member

Wil, I am also having some DPF pressure sensor issues and thinking it could be the pressure pipes.

Does yours have like a gauze cover over the rubber pipes that are held in place with spring clips?

Parts of mine are frayed/maybe split/damanged, so I'm not sure if the pipe underneath is also split/damaged?

My pressure sensor reads about 0hPa at idle and does go up when the engine is revved.
I've changed it for a new one and still does the same.

Thread V40 T2 R-Design - https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showt...56#post2901756
Thread V50 D2 R-Design - https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=264890 - CRASHED
Petey80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21st, 2019, 23:26   #8
WilBo

Hi petey,
Yes it has a sort of gause protection sleeve on it. The sleeve on mine has clearly worn through where it was rubbing on the metal bracket below the pipe clips. I'm pretty sure it has worn a hole in the silicone pipe too.

I've just wrapped some electrical tape round the whole section, which I'm sure won't last but seems to be working for now. I'll try to post some pictures as soon as I work out how to upload them.

I'm going to replace it when I get the chance. You can get a pair on ebay for about £45:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GENUINE-V...YAAOSw34FVHVVP

But call me cheap but £45 seems a bit steep for what it's essentially just a couple of bits of high temperature silicone hose. I only need the one. I was planning on ordering a bit of hose direct from a manufacturer. I'll let you know how I get on.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Wil
The Following User Says Thank You to WilBo For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 22nd, 2019, 10:42   #9
Petey80
Premier Member

Thanks for replying.

I think I'm going to have to give the pipes a good check over.

I too found some replacements on e-bay.

DPFPressurePipes_1DPFPressurePipes

Here's the listing for them - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FORD-C-MA...53.m1438.l2649

Granted it doesn't include the metal parts of the pressure pipes, but if anything they'll just clog rather than break.
I think also the white pipe has too small a diameter and I'll have only the black one that is of use. Will save the one you got though.

With regards to uploading pictures, Flickr is what I use - https://www.flickr.com/

Very straight forward to use.

Thread V40 T2 R-Design - https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showt...56#post2901756
Thread V50 D2 R-Design - https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=264890 - CRASHED
Petey80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23rd, 2019, 17:05   #10
V50Duncan

I have the same issue but with a completely separated rather than split hose, do you know what size these hoses are? Seems very expensive for a couple of pieces of hose! Would Fuel hose or standard silicon pipe work?
V50Duncan is offline   Reply With Quote