Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

MOT Procedural Question

Views : 1585

Replies : 26

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 28th, 2019, 18:43   #21
Whippy
Premier Member

Took beloved's car in to a little local guy a few years ago who said " back wheel bearing shot, look I can wiggle the wheel from side to side, I can change it if you like" and he did, in the middle of the mot, then passed it. Golden.
Whippy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Whippy For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 28th, 2019, 19:42   #22
Billggski

Mine was tested and serviced by main dealer last month,
(they now give a discount for 4years +)
when I picked it up I had both a fail and pass certificate, failed for emissions too high, passed after the service, so no charge for the rectification and re-test.
It seems the way it works now.
Billggski is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Billggski For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 2nd, 2019, 17:16   #23
hennabm

Tester's manual instructions;

"Make sure any manual headlamp levelling devices (driver controls) work by:
switching on the dipped beam headlamps
operating the manual levelling device
checking that the headlamp beams move up and down
returning the levelling device control to its original position"

So firstly the tester should check the controls to ensure they work but the last sentence is key.

"If driver’s beam aim controls are fitted, you should test the beam aim without altering the control setting.
If this would result in failure for beam aim being too low, you should re-check the beam aim with the control set at its ‘highest’ position."

Then when they go to test the aim the controls should be left in that same position and tested. Only if they are too low should the tester then twist the control to the highest position.

If the aim is still out then the manual tells the tester;

"You mustn’t carry out repairs during an MOT test, but you can make minor adjustments to the headlamp aim."
2010 116d
2011 X3 3.0d
hennabm is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to hennabm For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 2nd, 2019, 22:49   #24
Spike56
Master Member

Read it twice, still don't get it!
Spike56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4th, 2019, 03:13   #25
Marty Dolomite
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by id5 View Post
It was changed to stop dishonesty. AFail reasons analysed for any unscrupulous behaviour patterns that could show an agreement with a friend who fixes and splits the money.
Or that's used car trader friend cutting corners to make a few quid.
Marty Dolomite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4th, 2019, 08:49   #26
AndyJudge
Premier Member

Is it not that you present the car for the MOT & it's the testing stations responsibility to test the car as presented.

Once the test is completed they can then make any necessary repairs that have been identified during said test ?

In days of old (when running older cars) I often used to get offered a 'Pre-Test' check before the garage did the MOT.

Now the Car goes to the dealers for a Service & MOT, the last 2 MOT's the Car was tested before the service was completed, any fails ( I think I had a bulb in the wing mirror this time) are then corrected in the service process.
Previous 2001 C70 T5 GT Auto Convertible - Saffron
Previous 1999 S40 XS - Silver
AndyJudge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20th, 2019, 10:24   #27
TheFiend
C30 R-Design

My 2009 1.8 C30 R-Design had it's MOT 2 days ago.... and the only failure was on "headlight aim too high" - the tester adjusted them during the test...

I got advisories on front and rear brake pads wearing thin and he also spotted a nail in the nearside rear tyre.... My C30 had it's original disc and pads and they'd lasted 67K miles. I'd already acquired a full set of Brembo discs and pads which have now been fitted and I'm treating it to 4 Goodyear Efficient Grip Performance tyres which are getting fitted today...
TheFiend is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TheFiend For This Useful Post: