Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Bilstein B8

Views : 1202

Replies : 15

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 17th, 2019, 22:44   #11
classicswede
Trader Volvo in my veins

The factory springs are very soft and very long and have a LOT of pre load.

The typical 40mm lowering springs have a much shorter free length but are a fair bit stiffer. At standing ride height the springs are not compressed much, a shorter damper is likely to extend with a bang going over bumps etc
classicswede is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to classicswede For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 18th, 2019, 17:16   #12
MiniNinjaRob
Master Member

If I was fitting B8's I'd lower a lot more than 40mm. 40mm is only going to make it look like it isn't on stilts - if I was you I'd go 60 or 80mm
MiniNinjaRob is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MiniNinjaRob For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 19th, 2019, 10:33   #13
360beast
Go redblock or go home

I have asked PFV and they say the lesjofores 40mm springs are okay for us with standard and shortened dampers.

If I were to lower 60/80mm wouldn't it rub the arches on full lock/cornering?
360beast is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 360beast For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 19th, 2019, 11:09   #14
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 360beast View Post
I have asked PFV and they say the lesjofores 40mm springs are okay for us with standard and shortened dampers.

If I were to lower 60/80mm wouldn't it rub the arches on full lock/cornering?
Can't say for sure Luke as a lot of people have lowered their cars that much without problems, i know when i first got my current 760 and it was on Nivos, because both they and the springs were weak, normal ride height was about 35mm lower than normal. If it had been sat for anything more than about 5 minutes, the back was even lower and i took out the back of my exhaust on a speed hump shortly after pulling away after doing some shopping.

As a general observation, i've seen a lot of ads selling -60mm or lower springs as they were reverting to -40mm, from that i'd suggest that -40mm would be the way to go.

Might be worth also looking at this thread, particularly the bits about shimming the prop centre bearing and the video of how the back axle reacts on the road :

https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showt...72#post2505372

Also the suggestion in that thread of renewing the torque rod bushes is quite a good idea!

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 19th, 2019, 20:21   #15
360beast
Go redblock or go home

Very informative thread and video Dave, right then... bilstein B6, 40mm springs and diff arm (whatever it is called) polybushes it is.

I'm not interested in "lows" as I'm not a scenester... anymore, I want a decent handling 940 is all.
360beast is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 360beast For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 19th, 2019, 20:51   #16
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 360beast View Post
Very informative thread and video Dave, right then... bilstein B6, 40mm springs and diff arm (whatever it is called) polybushes it is.

I'm not interested in "lows" as I'm not a scenester... anymore, I want a decent handling 940 is all.
Sounds like a good choice Luke!

When i was just a young pup, i had a Mk1 Cavalier 2000GLS Coupe - the Vauxhall version of the Opel Manta S/R "B" (the GT/E was the Manta "C" and came a few years later) and i lowered the back end of that using Grayston Coil Spring Clamps. Dropped about 25-30mm off the normal ride height but gained a very different and improved handling car. Didn't lose much in the way of ride comfort either because it was the centre coils i clamped, the hardest of the coils in the springs of those.
Since then i've not really had any lowered cars (except factory lowered versions) and these days, being a bit longer in the tooth, i prefer comfort to a harsh ride. I tend to go for thicker ARBs instead of lowering/uprating the springs.
This keeps the ride comfort but improves body roll and weight transfer - perfect for a grumpy old fart to scare the bejesus out of boy racers in their Saxos and similar!

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote