Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Insurance

Views : 1804

Replies : 37

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 18th, 2019, 08:00   #1
hylton1806

Default Insurance

Its that time of year again,only had the volvo a year now and having sort of dived in last year and maybe not got the best deal.Paid £190.00 3k limited milage comprehensiveon a 1987 745 GLE. Who can we recommend to try?
Many thks Hylton
hylton1806 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to hylton1806 For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 18th, 2019, 09:20   #2
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hylton1806 View Post
Its that time of year again,only had the volvo a year now and having sort of dived in last year and maybe not got the best deal.Paid £190.00 3k limited milage comprehensiveon a 1987 745 GLE. Who can we recommend to try?
Many thks Hylton
First, see what your existing insurers come up with then you have a figure to base your shopping around on. I'm guessing you already have it on a classic policy with the low mileage?

If so, try all the usual suspects - Lancaster, Adrian Flux, Heritage and so on. Also (don't laugh! ) try entering all your details into confused.com - they sometimes come up with a better price for some odd reason. Even if they don't, it gives you a useful figure to get an idea of what is going on in the world of insurance.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 18th, 2019, 09:38   #3
john.wigley
VOC Member since 1986

Sub £200 doesn't seem that bad anyway to me. There are so many variables, your age, driving experience / record, postcode, and so on that can affect your insurance premium that what may appear reasonable for one is expensive for another. Personally, I have always found Saga competitive for mainstream vehicles, and used Peter James when I had my classic bikes.

Regards, John.
Old Mar 18th, 2019, 09:59   #4
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Agreed on the base figure not being that bad John, a few years back i was insuring a 745GLE for about £260pa, now my 760GLE is about the same.

What annoys me is in the likes of Practical Classics, they do a feature on a particular car and then give a quote for Mr Average 45 y/o, married with 2.4 children and a Golden Lab, car garaged at night, living in a low-crime area etc and it's usually in the region of £100-150, with the quotes being provided by Lancaster Insurance.

Sounds good so far, yes? What they fail to include is the "Policy Fee" which is some sort of admin charge and is somewhere in the region of £50-75 depending on whether you're a new or existing customer, transferring the classic insurance from one car to another and so on.

This policy fee can almost double the premium which means what PC have published is misleading to say the least.

While some insurers include it in the quote, others don't so you get a nasty shock when it comes to paying for it.

As for the rest of it, as you rightly point out, age, occupation, postcode and many other factors all conspire to alter the premium.
At the tender age of 17 as a humble apprentice, my work colleagues couldn't understand why my insurance was so much cheaper than theirs.
While they were paying £200+ for 1300 Fiestas and similar, i was paying just under £160 for a 2.0 Cortina - not only did we all work at the same place in the same job and were the same age (give or take a few months), some of us were even insured through the same broker.

I learned later the reason why my insurance was so much cheaper - i lived in the middle of nowhere (nearest residential neighbour was at least 1/2 mile away) and they all lived in urban or suburban locations. All down to postcode in that case!

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Old Mar 18th, 2019, 11:20   #5
john.wigley
VOC Member since 1986

Eat your heart out, 'LS'! As a 17 year old apprentice, MY first year's insurance premium with the Coop was the princely sum of £15 3s 9d (£15.19). Mind, that was on a 1951 Ford 8HP Anglia that cost me £10!!! Happy days!

J.
Old Mar 18th, 2019, 11:42   #6
bob12
bob12

If it's any help try Sainsbury's Bank - Motor Insurance. I have just renewed with them for the 2nd year at £259 (up £10 on last year). It is full comp, limited to 3K with deductiibles of £150 and £75 on w/screen + legal protection etc, and includes full UK RAC B/down cover (B/down/H/start etc). When you consider the cost of B/down cover I don't think it's bad value. Bob
bob12 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bob12 For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 18th, 2019, 11:45   #7
bob12
bob12

Quote:
Originally Posted by john.wigley View Post
Eat your heart out, 'LS'! As a 17 year old apprentice, MY first year's insurance premium with the Coop was the princely sum of £15 3s 9d (£15.19). Mind, that was on a 1951 Ford 8HP Anglia that cost me £10!!! Happy days!

J.
My previous Insurer was the Co-op, but after 3 years they were winding the premium up and up like most Undewrwriters, and didn't want to talk sense, so I moved on ... Bob
bob12 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bob12 For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 18th, 2019, 11:53   #8
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob12 View Post
If it's any help try Sainsbury's Bank - Motor Insurance. I have just renewed with them for the 2nd year at £259 (up £10 on last year). It is full comp, limited to 3K with deductiibles of £150 and £75 on w/screen + legal protection etc, and includes full UK RAC B/down cover (B/down/H/start etc). When you consider the cost of B/down cover I don't think it's bad value. Bob
I had a quote from them once Bob, i asked them why they were telling me my phone number as i already knew it!

That said, it was several years back so they may have improved!

Old Mar 18th, 2019, 13:05   #9
Jimsiss

I’m 29 with full no claims and no accidents but my b230ft costs £400+ because I have mods and most companies don’t seem to like modifications so they hike the price up.
Old Mar 18th, 2019, 20:22   #10
Forrest
VOC Member

I’m 50 with no recent claims, work as an IT Director and live in a rural, low-crime area. I paid £626 last year with Admiral to insure three 940 estates and a Mk2 Scirocco on a multi-car policy. This includes business use and commuting on all four cars; fully comprehensive although I’m under no illusions that they would probably right the car off if I tried to claim for damage to it.

The only other thing to note is that I also insure my sister’s Nissan Micra on the same policy (diffierent address) and she is a named driver on my cars and the overall policy administrator although I’m the policy holder on my four sub-policies. This might help to keep the premiums down since I suspect insurance companies still favour women drivers.
Forrest is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Forrest For This Useful Post: