Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Propshaft saga

Views : 232

Replies : 4

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 23rd, 2019, 20:41   #1
Jebus
VOC Member

Default Propshaft saga

Well since i needed to pull the propshaft to split it and line it up properly, and a couple free hours though be a nice easy job.......well no all the bolts out front and rear and unmounted the centre bearing and could i hell get that fecking prop to come off, the slip joint is pretty stuck since not fitted in right position and crawling around on the floor doesn't make it very easy, even with back of the car jacked up on the tow bat so axle was at full droop still move enough wiggle room to get the prop off

So is this logic right, undo the shocks on the back will let the axle drop a bit more and should give more wiggle room or am i heading up the wrong path?

2005 S60 2.0T the baby T5
Jebus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23rd, 2019, 21:11   #2
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Yes and no - removing the shock absorber lower bolts will allow the axle to drop a bit more BUT................

that will bring the nose of the diff up higher and at an even weirder angle than it already is.

Might be easier all round if you just took the weight of the axle off by jacking it on the diff so it's not hanging on the full travel of the shocks - jack it so it's not lifting the body off the axle stands but so as much weight is off the diff as possible.
Better still, jack it all the way on the diff until the axle stands can be repositioned under the axle, one each side.

This will bring the nose of the diff down, making it easier to slide the prop off and also to unbolt the rear prop flange from the diff so you can get the complete prop out.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 23rd, 2019, 21:22   #3
Jebus
VOC Member

Thanks Laird, did have the front jack up right up and it would rotate just not pop off

wish I had taken 5, and had a breather when fitting the prop rather than fighting to slip back should have paid more attention, it might well have the missing spline to help line it all up but it will fit in any position.

only other option is maybe to undo gearbox mount and move box up a little might give the extra little im needing, either way feeling fedup and sorry for myself and its blowing a gale here tomorrow so not good to be working under a large brick

The Following User Says Thank You to Jebus For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 23rd, 2019, 21:32   #4
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Good luck with it whichever way you attack it, i think i'd bite the bullet and remove the prop complete and get it somewhere i could see what i'm doing without a huge brick above my head!

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 23rd, 2019, 21:49   #5
Jebus
VOC Member

Thanks Laird, its getting the last little bit of space, should probably renew the centre bearing while im in there, the rubber is looking very old and cracked and the two bolts that hold the carrier are seized so will need to snap the off to get the plate off anyway, might have had enough wiggle room if that wasnt in the way

I want to be able to be out and about driving it not faffing about with stuff, But dont want to risk damage to the box or diff with the prop out of balance so will have to wait

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jebus For This Useful Post: