Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Noisy automatic transmission on idle when hot

Views : 380

Replies : 3

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 16th, 2022, 17:39   #1
sirdani

Exclamation Noisy automatic transmission on idle when hot

Volvo S80 2002 2.9i b6294s2 motor with 4T65EV automatic gearbox.

TWO TYPES OF very rare noise come from the car when it is idle.

I can hear it only when car not moving, just the motor on base rpm.

I can hear it when I use the car at least half hour. (Engine, transmission reach the working temp.)

It started with this sound 1 week ago:
https://streamable.com/kxcbge

Then become to this sound If i use the car a little more:
https://streamable.com/7vmbu0
This crackling sound is equal with the motor rpm , If i add gas it increases as the rpm does.

Sound only activated when the car in P or N.

No sound in D or R.

Transmission oil color is red (GOOD). Car runs fine.

I showed the car sound at least 3-4 repair shops. All said they do not have guess. But all of them said it comes from the tranny.

I showed to a transmission service, but they said it is too early noise, I can use the car until it stops. (Was it a joke??)

I called many transmission repair shops, but they do not repair those old transmissions.

One of them said maybe on the phone it is not the transmission, it is the "flywheel" before the transmission.
Does the 4T65EV Volvo Gearbox has flywheel? AFAIK only manual gearboxes has it.

It sounds like something which spins which is very worn out. But what spins in the transmission when it is Neutral? I think nothing.
sirdani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17th, 2022, 14:14   #2
Georgeandkira
Premier Member

The torque converter spins at idle but never in my life of amateurish automotive involvement have I heard anything like that associated with transmissions.

Have you slackened the belt and physically manipulated all the idler/tensioner pullies and turned (attempt to turn) the accessories?
Try that as there are more of them thus a higher likelihood of a catch.

In my experience, bad alternators have growled to death. Some just fail electrically. I suppose they could click rhythmically as in your video.

Power steering pumps growl then howl as they die. Do remember, cheap / incorrect PS fluid can kill these things. It's how I got my first V70. Bozos in an aircraft hanger added some kind of trannie fluid to my '99's pump which required synthetic fluid. Again, can all those wee parts click? Why not?

AC compressors are known to clatter due to all their internals.

Water pumps can click-click as well as turn off axis and chew into aluminum.

Do the slack belt test....just make a belt routing map first.
Georgeandkira is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Georgeandkira For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 18th, 2022, 19:23   #3
myfirstv70

Default Did you try?

I still think it's the alternator pulley - did you use a bar or rod to put on the alternator casing while the car is running. You can find the noise really quickly doing this....
myfirstv70 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to myfirstv70 For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 19th, 2022, 23:45   #4
sirdani

Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgeandkira View Post
The torque converter spins at idle but never in my life of amateurish automotive involvement have I heard anything like that associated with transmissions.

Have you slackened the belt and physically manipulated all the idler/tensioner pullies and turned (attempt to turn) the accessories?
Try that as there are more of them thus a higher likelihood of a catch.

In my experience, bad alternators have growled to death. Some just fail electrically. I suppose they could click rhythmically as in your video.

Power steering pumps growl then howl as they die. Do remember, cheap / incorrect PS fluid can kill these things. It's how I got my first V70. Bozos in an aircraft hanger added some kind of trannie fluid to my '99's pump which required synthetic fluid. Again, can all those wee parts click? Why not?

AC compressors are known to clatter due to all their internals.

Water pumps can click-click as well as turn off axis and chew into aluminum.

Do the slack belt test....just make a belt routing map first.

Quote:
Originally Posted by myfirstv70 View Post
I still think it's the alternator pulley - did you use a bar or rod to put on the alternator casing while the car is running. You can find the noise really quickly doing this....
Found the problem:
https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=327747
sirdani is offline   Reply With Quote