Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Volvo's new way of demoing their cars Volvo Freedom

Views : 1046

Replies : 7

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 3rd, 2005, 21:26   #1
Andy Mcl

Default Volvo's new way of demoing their cars Volvo Freedom

Just had a day out at a very nice hotel thanks to Volvo - if you are a regular customer you'll probably get an e-mail invitng you to go along. Sorry this is a bit of a long post!!

Tried 4 cars - could have done more but 3yr old son had had enough!!!

Tried XC90 D5 Geartronic
XC70 D5 Manual
V70 D5 Manual
V70R Manual

From the top XC90 was nice to drive for such a big car and it didn't feel big at all.It has stacks of room but with the blacked out glass it was ver gloomy!
But oh dear it is absolutely gutless!!! the D5 is a fine engine but in conjunction with the geartronic it wouldn't move - you had to cane it to do anything! Geartronic changes at the wrong time and is no better in manual mode.
I made my feeling felt to the team and they had to agree - if you want a cruiser it's great, but I don't think it will be any good a towing or a brisk cross country run - over taking is just too hazardous. There was some suggestion that there would be a bigger engine available soon to reduce this problem.

XC 70 This was quite a surprise it's ride quality was incredible - it just rode the bumps like they weren't there.
This one had the optional 4C stability control funtion (adjustable shocks) and there was a noticeable difference when you selected sport - you could really chuck it about. The performance was much better than the 90 and the manual 6 spd g/box was easy and smooth although you have to concentrate to get the clutch to work smoothly - it's a bit sharp.
But oh boy the ride is so smooth and sure footed - perfect for the roads in blighty!!!

V70
This was also much better than I had expected - also had 4C control - which is great if you want to play or if the wife is a bit fragile it smoothes out nicely but still giving alot of feel. This g/box is by far the best and easiest to get on with. And the performance shines through.Though I wouldn't want the optional 18 alloys it had on scary tyre prices!!

V70R - This I was looking forward to and when I drove it I was dissapointed - I had a volvo chap with me - cos it's soo powerful - NOT!!! .
You nail it of the line and nothing happens or very slowly and you have to rev it to the max to get anything seriously quick out of it.
A Chipped and well driven D5 would give it a run for it's money. Mind you once we turned off the DSTC it was better but not much.
I have to admit it was beautifully smooth and quiet at any speed and the adjustable shocks did work quiet well on rough roads.
Once you had the engine above 4K it went well and was definitely quick but I would choose a T5 any day over the R as it costs so much less and the performance is only marginally better on the R .

Out of the 4 that I drove My choice of preference would be:

1st choice XC70 D5 manual - but chipped to give it a bit more it's ride and handling were a good compromise, long legged quiet cruiser and cheaper on tyres!!!

2nd Choice V70 D5 manual - more affordable both to buy and mpg but tyres - ouch. Handled well and rode very well considering they were 18" wheels. most people will love it.

3rd Choice XC90 - but manual not auto, good comfortable cruiser with buckets of space.

4th choice V70R - dissapointing, a swift cruiser with reasonable amounts of go but at a price. T5 is better option
Volvo need to realise that this is not what an R should be - it is too controlled and doesn't give the enjoyment the original R's did.

Sorry for the long post but you might find my ramblings of use.

Regards
IPD anti - roll bars
Diesel power!!
Andy Mcl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3rd, 2005, 21:33   #2
pyaap
Non-T4 T4s RULE!!!!

Default RE: Volvo's new way of demoing their cars Volvo Freedom

Thanks for the review Andy, I was considering going for this and it does indeed sound like a good day out! I think I'm going to book for the 14th May session at the location just outside of Nottingham. If anyone else is going, do let me know, it will be great to hook up and talk about cars!!! :-)
pyaap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4th, 2005, 07:57   #3
Simon Linton
850/70 Register Keeper

I think the R series cars are a marketing disaster - sold to compete with the BMW and hot Audi vehicles and unable to hold a candle to either in the excitement stakes.

If they're repositioned as technical showcases to give one car that really is nearly all things to all people - granny and midlife crisis dad included - then it might be a better option.

From your description of the R I would imagine that it was another Geartronic - if it was a manual, god help them!
Simon Linton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4th, 2005, 20:06   #4
Andy Mcl

Sorry Si this was the manual 6 speed box NOT the auto
IPD anti - roll bars
Diesel power!!
Old Apr 7th, 2005, 23:03   #5
rawmusic

A friend of mine in the states has a brand new V70R AWD. Whilst over at Christmas, he let me behind the wheel (FOOL!!!). It had the geartronic. He had told me it had 500 bhp (yeah right - I think he meant 300). Anyway, I was gobsmacked at how very similar the acceleration felt to my 10 year old auto T5. I had got myself all excited about driving this thing, and then was really disappointed. The handling was stunning, especially in the advanced suspension setting, but the get up and go didn't get up or go. I know that cars are not supposed to be racing machines necessarily, but this guy bought the R not the diesel.

Richard Whennell
855 T5 1995
VOC member
Old Apr 7th, 2005, 23:14   #6
tonyt5

my view as well i drove one recently, what a let down, volvo seem to have lost the plot with this model
Old Apr 8th, 2005, 20:06   #7
Andy Mcl

What can Adam or Don do to sort the woes - and then sell it to Volvo haha!!

I have to agree it drove well but I recon the original T5; is quicker it certainly gives a much sportier feel than the new R.

Does anyone from Volvo read these threads - I wish they would cos they have an image problem with this car!!!
IPD anti - roll bars
Diesel power!!
Old Apr 16th, 2005, 00:32   #8
finchburger

I had thought about the Carol Slimie & Nick Nairn Edinburgh do, but since they just play music & give you cheese & whine (no car playing). After having made an arrangement with a sales person to try a 04/05 turbo model (as mine is now 3yr old) with a possibilty of trading it in if I liked it. The guy didnt call me back after I had left a message with someone else, & he has a note of my details, I therefore decided not to go back in, & am thinking about going back to Audi for my next car.
That and the fact they can't really answer a simple question of, "Can you replace the halogen headlights with bi-xenons?" without an exact reply.

Dougie
02/V70/140/Auto