Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

V50 Road Noise

Views : 3325

Replies : 30

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 11th, 2011, 11:44   #1
blacklab

Default V50 Road Noise

Hi

On certain roads my V50 2005 makes a rubbling noise from the rear but when the road surface changes it disapears.
Does anyone else get this? The rear tyres are Linglong, cheapies I guess, which came with it. This may be the cause?

If it was the bearing then it would do it all the time, any ideas?

Thanks
blacklab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11th, 2011, 11:45   #2
blacklab

Sorry, should be rumbling noise not rubbling!
Old Sep 11th, 2011, 11:52   #3
gmain1967
Premier Member

I'd say it might be to do with tyres - my folks have a V50 with Pirelli P6000's on it and it has more road noise than my T4....!
gmain1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to gmain1967 For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 11th, 2011, 11:56   #4
Daim
Brit in Germany

If it changes on road surface it can only be the tires. If it was the car, it would do it on all surfaces. Rumbling can be a "sawtooth". Under certain conditions it is there and others not.

And please, change those "Linglong" tires. It may be cool to save a few quid, but the cost of life isn't worth saving a few quid.

2010 V70 (Type 135) D5 (D5244T10) Automatic (TF-80SC)
Daim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11th, 2011, 12:42   #5
blacklab

The dealer who supplied it fitted the cheap tyres, I'd never heard of them!

Interesting to see how some tyres can make this noise.
Old Sep 11th, 2011, 14:38   #6
iantowil

My C70 had stepped rear tyres - rumbled as if a wheel bearing had failed, and vibration especially 60mph upwards. Had the alignment checked and adjusted at FRF in Swansea - it was about £60 for full 4 wheel laser alignment - they have a new setup that seems really good, and for once the main dealer is relatively competitive on price - Harris Bros are about £45 from memory. You might not need alignment, but worth bearing mind if you do.

One other thing - the nice tread pattern tyres that resemble the Goodyear F1s seem more prone to stepping than a more irregular traditional pattern. I think the Linglongs you have might look good but could be prone to stepping if they're the ones I'm thinking of.

Just a final point - the alignment didn't solve my problem, changing tyres did but it meant I didn't ruin the new tyres.

Hope this proves a bit of help.
iantowil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11th, 2011, 18:03   #7
blacklab

Thanks for this info, really helpful.

As a matter of interest, what tyre supplier do you use? Harris Bros?

I wouldn't have put these Dingdongs on, I've been down the cheap/budget route before and as the saying goes.....buy cheap, pay twice! I've found this out in the past with tyres.

First thing people say, "has your wheel bearing gone?", then it goes away when on another bit of road. Very weird!
Old Sep 12th, 2011, 01:46   #8
iantowil

Last 4 tyres I bought March/June and all at Harris Bros by the Vetch Field. Found their prices better than the internet and of course fitting is in with it. I found the boys there great - I made a point of saying I was a bit of a car enthusiast and the wheels were mint, so could they be careful - rather than get offended they WERE careful - found them great. I went there after my mate had a very good deal for Michelins from the for his Imprezza from them. Only down side is they are busy most of the time and its a bit tight there - they get 4 cars in at a time.

Put Kumhos on the C70 and they seem fine, but damn they are wearing fast on the front. I've had Kumhos a few times now and they seem good. I did try Hankooks I think it was on my Cougar, and they were noisy.

Worth checking you've got no stepping as the sound you describe sounds identical to my problem - run you're hand around the inner and outer edge of the rear tyres against the direction of the tread pattern (rotation) and see if you can feel any stepping - you'll now if its there. Apparently Golfs are also a sod for this - C70s certainly are, or at least mine is - I should say was.......here's hoping!

Another plus for Harris Bros - and I'm not employed by them or on commission I promise. When changing the fronts I asked them to balance the rear tyres because I had a vibration - in with the deal. They youngster immediately said the problem was stepping not balancing and showed me what he meant - this was a new one on me but it expalined all the symptoms I had. He balanced them anyway but still the same. Alignment at FRF. Changed rear tyres at Harris Bros, problem gone.
Old Sep 12th, 2011, 19:42   #9
blacklab

That's handy to know about Harris bros, I see they do mobile fitting but I guess this comes at a price.

Well......I've just been out to check the stepping and low and behold I can feel it! If this is the due to the tyre manufacturer then they should be banned! I've never had to change a tyre due to this, only when worn!
I cannot believe this and FRF put the damn things on before they sold it.
Should dealers be putting this substandard rubbish on used cars?

Thanks again.
Old Sep 16th, 2011, 00:56   #10
iantowil

No worries. And don't forget about the alignment - it could be argued that given FRF put tyres on that are prone to stepping, maybe they'll do something for you on the laser alignment - I guess depends on the circumstances. I was told by a few pretty good sources that the stepped tyres I had on the back, Avon ZZ3s were prone to stepping and didn't work particularly well on a C70 - However the car was quite abit out of spec on the rear alignment, so possibly a bit of both.

Anyway, good luck - this can all be a pain in the arse.