Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

200 Series General Forum for the Volvo 240 and 260 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

New (to me) 1980 Volvo 244

Views : 2025280

Replies : 4092

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 4th, 2020, 13:10   #341
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Othen View Post
I'll have a look at the pin out when we get back, it certainly looks correct.
If it's wired how i think it is, should be one +ve feed in, an earth and an output to the fuel and temp gauges.

If so, that makes life easy!

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4th, 2020, 13:53   #342
Othen
Premier Member

Default Road Test Report

Bob and I just took the Royal Barge out to get £20 of Morrison's very cheapest gas (17.5 litres, so almost exactly 4 gallons), then about a 10 mile run of mixed 70mph dual carriageway then 40/30mph town roads with some sitting at traffic lights and so on.

First the fuel, we started off with the tank just on the border between the green and red areas, so spot on where the 'R' is. I'm guessing there should be about a gallon in the reserve (red) bit... adding 4 gallons (5 gallons total) took it up to just about half way:

The tank is 13.2 gallons, so it looks like the fuel gauge is over reading by about 30% (assuming that 10 gallons would make it read full). That supports the idea that the voltage regulator is bad.

Now the temperature: this is running the new temperature sender with a 100Ω resistor in series. As you may see from the photo, it is just about spot on. We stopped in a lay by to take the photo after about 3-4 miles, it stays at that temperature and is very stable. At that point the thermostat housing was at 82-85C, which sounds exactly right. The electric fan did not start whilst we were driving, even in town, but it did when we got back home and I left the Royal Barge idling on the drive for about 10 minutes.

You may note that the tick over is spot on now, that is with the slow running adjustment screwed all the way in (I still have to fit the diaphragm and check out the cable linkages).

The gearbox has improved now: particularly in town, there are only 3 speeds but the changes between them are smoother.

So, all in all the car is running very well. The evidence does point to the voltage stabiliser being bad, and that is a thing to address (I found what appears to be a replacement, but there may be other alternatives). For the time being (maybe some months) the car is sorted out.

Alan
Othen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Othen For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 4th, 2020, 13:57   #343
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
If it's wired how i think it is, should be one +ve feed in, an earth and an output to the fuel and temp gauges.

If so, that makes life easy!
Some time over the next few days I'll pull the instruments out (this will be the third time, so only a 10 minute job) and remove the stabiliser so we can have a look at it, see if there are any part #.

What about alternatives?

Alan

Last edited by Othen; Mar 4th, 2020 at 14:09.
Old Mar 4th, 2020, 14:05   #344
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Looks very like it - can't see any part numbers to crosss reference but usefully it says "10V" on the side so an LM7810 plus a couple of 33nF capacitors between supply and 0V and output and 0V will give you a 10V regulated supply. Just need to figure out which pin is connected to what on the three pins on the regulator.

Note that a 7810 + a couple of caps is a lot cheaper and more reilaibale!
It does look pretty well identical:

... here is the photo of the back of the instruments I sent yesterday:

It clearly has 3 pins, and the spacing looks right. What do think, the company is in NL so no import charges and €40ish is fine if it gets everything running right.

Alan
Old Mar 4th, 2020, 14:14   #345
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Looks very like it - can't see any part numbers to crosss reference but usefully it says "10V" on the side so an LM7810 plus a couple of 33nF capacitors between supply and 0V and output and 0V will give you a 10V regulated supply. Just need to figure out which pin is connected to what on the three pins on the regulator.

Note that a 7810 + a couple of caps is a lot cheaper and more reilaibale!
Dave,

If what I'm thinking is right then one of these would do exactly the same job for about a pound:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/L7810-CV-...cdPLwUbrDUX8bw

I'd just have to check the pin out and solder on a couple of clips.

If I'm right I'd be daft to spend €40 on a really old fashioned bit when a modern solid state part would do the same job much better and for 1/30 of the cost. What do you think?

I think this little challenge would be more in keeping with the ethos of the Royal Barge as well.

Alan
Old Mar 4th, 2020, 14:18   #346
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Instrumen...-/380747658712

https://www.minimania.com/Smiths_Voltage_Stabilizers

Have a look at those Alan, bear in mind the Dutch one is already secondhand. I know what i would do but i'm not going to try and influence you either way so i'll shut up for now!

*** EDIT *** I hadn't seen your post above when i posted this Alan but i think i know the outcome already!

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 4th, 2020, 17:15   #347
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Instrumen...-/380747658712

https://www.minimania.com/Smiths_Voltage_Stabilizers

Have a look at those Alan, bear in mind the Dutch one is already secondhand. I know what i would do but i'm not going to try and influence you either way so i'll shut up for now!

*** EDIT *** I hadn't seen your post above when i posted this Alan but i think i know the outcome already!

It is going to be the little eBay kit for a tenner of course (even comes with a rivet). The Dutch one is second hand, and may not even work when it arrives. If I get a mo tomorrow I'll pull the instruments out and see how the old one is fixed, if the pins just push in that will be trivial to fit.

... was that what you thought, if so I'll order the eBay kit this eve.
Old Mar 4th, 2020, 18:34   #348
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
It is going to be the little eBay kit for a tenner of course (even comes with a rivet). The Dutch one is second hand, and may not even work when it arrives. If I get a mo tomorrow I'll pull the instruments out and see how the old one is fixed, if the pins just push in that will be trivial to fit.

... was that what you thought, if so I'll order the eBay kit this eve.
Exactly what i thought and also what i'd do Alan!

The pins are usually male and female 1/4" blades so you should be fine to connect however you like.

Old Mar 4th, 2020, 18:42   #349
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Exactly what i thought and also what i'd do Alan!

The pins are usually male and female 1/4" blades so you should be fine to connect however you like.
Many thanks Dave. This is so much more in keeping with the ethos for the Royal Barge: it is a subtle and invisible improvement that costs very little and should solve this little problem.

I’ll get the eBay kit ordered and that will be a little job for next week.

Best wishes,

Alan
Old Mar 4th, 2020, 19:38   #350
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Many thanks Dave. This is so much more in keeping with the ethos for the Royal Barge: it is a subtle and invisible improvement that costs very little and should solve this little problem.

I’ll get the eBay kit ordered and that will be a little job for next week.

Best wishes,

Alan
Those are my favourite kind of improvements, things that can't be seen but make their prescence felt, seen or heard in subtle ways.