Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

1200 mile thoughts on XC60

Views : 4341

Replies : 32

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 24th, 2010, 23:16   #1
cocks3

Default 1200 mile thoughts on XC60

For those of you eagerly awaiting deivery on 1st September I thought I'd give you some thoughts on my first 4 weeks with the car.

D3 Drive SE Manual. White with beige. I test drove the D5 so ordered it blind. Didn't have a Volvo before and it was a straight choice between the Kuga and XC60 as wanted the "look" but needed emissions under 160. Volvo won the day. It's a joy to drive and you know it's a proper piece of kit when you are in it - the 1st will be a special day for you all.

The car is brilliant but these are the talking points for me.

Really Good Points:
City safety works! Unintentionally I should add. Pulled into a parking space a bit lively and it anchored on. Nice to know!!!
Wipers are excellent.
High performance sound is really good. Some songs sound too good you end up playing them over and over.
ipod connection works for any MP3 player - not just an ipod. And you get full functionality via the display and steering wheel control.
Parking sensors bring up a nice little graphic on the display - nav not needed for that.
Acceleration in 3rd from 1500rpm to 3000rpm is jet propelled. Gets you past those slow moving obstructions with ease.
Economy at 42mph is excellent for the size of the car.
Powered tailgate is more useful than I had ever imagined. A must have all of a sudden.
Hillstarts - yes that electric handbrake does work perfectly for them.

Minor grumbles:
No footrest. Just feels so alien putting your foot flat on the floor when not using the clutch. I test drove and auto so came as a shock!
I've got a size 8 boot and with the clutch fully depressed and steering the wheel you can feel the steering rod under turning your toes. Very odd sensation which makes you lift the clutch just when you don't want to.
Beige scuff plates on the sills. WTF? I'm careful but they are impossible to keep clean.
3000rpm and the jet fuel runs out. I now know why twin-turboes exist.
Bluetooth does only work with certain phones - naturally not the one I have! But tried others that go well so I have to cure that myself.
Rain sensor - many has been the time i've played chicken with the wipers whilst not being able to see a thing! Increase the sensitivity a notch and they seem to go all the time, but drop it down one and you could tip a bucket on the screen and it still not move the wiper!

I've attached some pictures of the car in use. Bit of grime on it but I'm all for the natural look! I couldn't have wished for a better car for the budget I had. I look forward to work purely for the drive in each morning. I only wish I lived further away from the office.

Good luck everyone. It's worth the wait.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg front.jpg (290.3 KB, 99 views)
File Type: jpg rear1.jpg (279.9 KB, 96 views)
File Type: jpg side2.jpg (224.4 KB, 91 views)
File Type: jpg right.jpg (287.3 KB, 91 views)
File Type: jpg in front.jpg (139.6 KB, 105 views)
File Type: jpg in rear.jpg (124.1 KB, 89 views)
File Type: jpg sensors.jpg (63.2 KB, 101 views)
File Type: jpg tow and tail.jpg (216.0 KB, 97 views)
File Type: jpg trailer.jpg (256.6 KB, 91 views)

Last edited by cocks3; Aug 24th, 2010 at 23:20.
cocks3 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to cocks3 For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 25th, 2010, 08:52   #2
stu0710
Master Member

Thanks - useful report.

I've also ordered a D3 manual 'blind' having only driven a 175hp D5 Drive, so I'm glad to gear it's living up to expectations.

Also looked at both the Kuga and Skoda Yeti 2WD, but both had tiny boots compared to my SAAB 9-5 estate I'm trading in so the Volvo was a natutral choice.
stu0710 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25th, 2010, 10:07   #3
r-designbob
Premier Member

Thanks for the report.

Same here, ordered blind etc etc.

Is that the removable or permanent tow bar?
Old Aug 25th, 2010, 12:43   #4
Jay

How do you do a hill start with the electric brake and manual box.

Do you release it whilst driving off or just drive off so it releases automatically ? i know volvo recommends that you relase the hand brake button and not disengage it automatically.
Jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25th, 2010, 14:27   #5
Teejay1
Master Member

Default Another question

The manual states that when the power brake is applied at XX speeds it acts on all four wheels then when the speeds drops below it acts on two wheels.

Does that mean you can activate the brake when the car is rolling to a stop?
Teejay1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25th, 2010, 18:51   #6
Waggatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay View Post
How do you do a hill start with the electric brake and manual box.

Do you release it whilst driving off or just drive off so it releases automatically ? i know volvo recommends that you relase the hand brake button and not disengage it automatically.
The electronic handbrake is a revelation !! When stopping on a hill you press the handbrake button to engage. Then when it senses that you are coming off the clutch AND pressing the accelerator then the handbrake comes off....brilliant !

Great review by Cocks3

My experience after 2 months is pretty similar (mine is also the D3 SE manual which I also ordered blind). The car is superb and definately best I've ever owned (although my first car, a Mini, does have a special place in my heart !!). Things I love:

1) The engine is brilliant. Plenty of power and torque for my needs.
2) Comfiest car I've ever driven.
3) Parking sensors front and rear are a new toy for me and work really well....especially on such a big car. No future car of mine will be without.
4) Ipod connection is really handy and works well....although its slow when connected to my 64gig touch.
5) I'm biased obviously....but think the Chameleon Pearl is fab.
6) The rear lights.
7) Local dealer service has been exemplary...and being a company car I didn't even get it from them.

Only a few niggles:
1) I get "childlock service required" every now and then....a quick switch off and on again sorts it every time.
2) Tiny rattle somewhere in the front passenger side door. Now I'm attuned to it I can pick it up easily...so have taken to playing my tunes louder !...and that solves the problem nicely !!
3) Boots not quite as big as I remember...but it swallowed two weeks holiday luggage with ease so I suppose I'm just being greedy !!

And horror of horrors...I've got a stone chip on the plastic chrome trim on the bonnets leading edge.........
Waggatron is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Waggatron For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 25th, 2010, 19:12   #7
wilbydoughboy

Nice to get updates from fellow xc owners. I have had mine for nearly 5 months and like others purchased the car just by going on my wifes love of its look and the very good reports from motoring writers. I would advise on getting front parking sensors as well as rear. I only have rear and I find it difficult to judge the front of the car due to being unable to see the front end and I think I am really close when there is plenty of distance. I also would have liked the rear seats to slide back to give some extra leg room as there is plenty of boot room to play with but with a fixed rear seating the rear leg room can be a bit tight for the cars size but overall I am more than happy with my first volvo.
wilbydoughboy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to wilbydoughboy For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 25th, 2010, 19:25   #8
Daleman
Master Member

Excellent assessment on both owner posts. Thanks cocks3 and Sebster. Agree with it all. The XC 60 is the type of car that grows on you and when you drive something else it gives you a reality check on just how good and comfy it is.

The Autos do have a nice foot rest and the front park assist is almost a must as it’s very difficult to judge the front highly curved corners.
Daleman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Daleman For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 25th, 2010, 19:31   #9
mu71rd

that's the fixed towbar as far as i can tell. i have the removable one and it's different to that when attached. much prefer the look of the removable one, even when attached, to be honest - but yours is a cracking looking car in white.
mu71rd is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mu71rd For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 25th, 2010, 23:14   #10
cocks3

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the kind comments. Yes, it is the fixed towbar. I mentioned to the dealer I was going to fit one and he offered a genuine fixed for a little bit less than aftermarket removable. Would have preferred removable but like the look now and am quite pleased with my "swan neck". The tailpipe I added too - genuine Volvo from ebay for £9.

I am just home from a meal with friends and found myself cruising at 50 just to take 10 minutes longer getting home and have more driving time!

Love can do funny things to you...
cocks3 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to cocks3 For This Useful Post: